Re: [DVDongle] geeky colors contest

  • William Arcand
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
      Hi Robin,

      Just curious where these files should live in the MacOS version. A quick look shows I have no other qpalatte files on my system.

      73,
      Bill
      W1WRA

      On Jan 1, 2012, at 8:06 PM, aa4rc wrote:

      Calling all geeks!

      One of the features of DVTool 2.0 is support for custom color palettes. You've seen the Setup/"Look and Feel" tab where you can change to the preprogrammed pallets of colors. DVTool also looks for files in its startup folder with a name ending in ".qpalette". It will then place that palette in the list for you to choose from.

      I've placed the sample files Default.qpalette and Connie.qpalette at http://opendstar.org/tools. You can download these into your DVTool home folder and they will show up in the list (Default is already there but will read the new file instead if it is there). You can just copy Default.qpalette to another name (like aa4rc.qpalette) and edit.

      Here's the geek part. You can change the colors and make your own custom colored DVTool. I use the QT programming tools for DVTool and they provide "Active", "Disabled", and "Inactive" color sets for each widget type. That is what is listed in the ".qpalette" file. To adjust colors, you will need to figure out which widgets impact the GUI (play with Button and Window first). You might need to go through some reading at the qt.nokia.com web site.

      If you are lost at this point, don't worry. You just are not geeky enough. :)

      So here's the contest: Create pleasing color palette(s) for DVTool and your palette(s) may be included in official releases. There may be several winners or none. I'm going to be both arbitrary and capricious in judging! There's no real time limit but let's target one month for review. Don't ask for help here, this is a test of your geekiness.

      Let the attempts at crashing DVTool begin...

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hi Bill. The default palettes are built into the binary so there are no files. Place your test qpalette file in the same folder that DVTool.app is located.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, William Arcand <cqcqcq@...> wrote:

        > Hi Robin,
        >
        > Just curious where these files should live in the MacOS version. A quick look shows I have no other qpalatte files on my system.
        >
        > 73,
        > Bill
        > W1WRA
        >
        > On Jan 1, 2012, at 8:06 PM, aa4rc wrote:
        >
        > > Calling all geeks!
        > >
        > > One of the features of DVTool 2.0 is support for custom color palettes. You've seen the Setup/"Look and Feel" tab where you can change to the preprogrammed pallets of colors. DVTool also looks for files in its startup folder with a name ending in ".qpalette". It will then place that palette in the list for you to choose from.
        > >
        > > I've placed the sample files Default.qpalette and Connie.qpalette at http://opendstar.org/tools. You can download these into your DVTool home folder and they will show up in the list (Default is already there but will read the new file instead if it is there). You can just copy Default.qpalette to another name (like aa4rc.qpalette) and edit.
        > >
        > > Here's the geek part. You can change the colors and make your own custom colored DVTool. I use the QT programming tools for DVTool and they provide "Active", "Disabled", and "Inactive" color sets for each widget type. That is what is listed in the ".qpalette" file. To adjust colors, you will need to figure out which widgets impact the GUI (play with Button and Window first). You might need to go through some reading at the qt.nokia.com web site.
        > >
        > > If you are lost at this point, don't worry. You just are not geeky enough. :)
        > >
        > > So here's the contest: Create pleasing color palette(s) for DVTool and your palette(s) may be included in official releases. There may be several winners or none. I'm going to be both arbitrary and capricious in judging! There's no real time limit but let's target one month for review. Don't ask for help here, this is a test of your geekiness.
        > >
        > > Let the attempts at crashing DVTool begin...

      • Joe Chimento
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
          Hi All,
             I thought I would show you how I modified my .qpalette file.   Please bear in mind, I am not an expert at anything, but I do like to tinker.   So please take this with a grain of salt.   There is probably a much easier way of making these modifications so look out for better advice as people drop in with their methods.

          Given:
          1. Files with the extension .qpalette found in the main DVDongle directory will be seen as another color scheme and will be listed in the "look and feel" pull down menu.
          2. Example files were provided in the proper format

               I took the default.qpalette file and opened it in notepad.  This is a flat text editor available in any Windows versions (start-all programs-accessories).  As I hoped, the file was flat text and annotated.  See below:

          // MainWindowClass
          #000000,#6a6864,#000000  // WindowText
          #efebe7,#efebe7,#efebe7  // Button
          #ffffff,#ffffff,#ffffff  // Light
          #cbc7c4,#cbc7c4,#cbc7c4  // Midlight
          #9f9d9a,#beb6ae,#9f9d9a  // Dark
          #b8b5b2,#b8b5b2,#b8b5b2  // Mid
          #000000,#bebebe,#000000  // Text
          #ffffff,#ffffff,#ffffff  // BrightText
          #000000,#6a6864,#000000  // ButtonText
          #ffffff,#efebe7,#ffffff  // Base
          #efebe7,#efebe7,#efebe7  // Window
          #767472,#b1aeab,#767472  // Shadow
          #628cb2,#918d7e,#918d7e  // Highlight
          #ffffff,#ffffff,#ffffff  // HighlightedText
          #0000ff,#0000ff,#0000ff  // Link
          #ff00ff,#ff00ff,#ff00ff  // LinkVisited
          #e9e7e3,#e9e7e3,#e9e7e3  // AlternateBase
          #000000,#000000,#000000  // NoRole
          #ffffdc,#ffffdc,#ffffdc  // ToolTipBase
          #000000,#000000,#000000  // ToolTipText

          Each 6 digit code following the "#" is a Hex color reference.  There are millions of combinations of these Hex codes, which I committed to memory................ok, thats a lie.   I didn't memorize any of them.   I merely went to a website that decoded these numbers for me: http://www.colorpicker.com/

          By using the hints after each line of code, I tried changing the colors of interest.   So if you look at the line the ends with //Window, you can guess that changing these codes will affect the window colors.   Likewise,  the line ending in //Text should modify text colors...

          Save the file in the format urcall.qpalette and drop it in the main folder for DVDongle.   If all goes well, you will see the new file in the pull down menu of the DVDongle software under "look & Feel".

          What can go wrong:
          1. Its important to save the file as flat text.   If you use MS Word, the file will contain a billion hidden characters that will render your file useless.
          2. When you save your file as a .txt file, the extension .txt will be appended after your file name.  You will have to manually remove the .txt in the name.  Do this before you move the file to your DVDongle folder or you may have write permission errors.
          3. Be careful not to pick a background color which is not compatible with the text on the page.  For instance if your text colors are black and you pick black as your background color, the text will not be visible.   Unless you memorized a working color scheme, you may not notice missing characters.   So check your screens carefully.   My first submittal had this very error...
          Wasn't that easy?   Don't get frustrated....have fun!

          --
          Joe
          KC2ZKI
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2012
            Robin,
            which Style will you be judging under? most of the "white on …" look great in Motif and are unreadable on Macintosh (aqua) since Apple appears to force the button and tab background to white/light grey ignoring your settings. or are you looking for something that works in all styles?

            thanks for the update and something fun to play with.

            73,
            -debbie
            N9DN

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2012
              Hi Debbie. In general, it should look good in all styles. An exceptional one that does not look good in one style may still be considered.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2012
                Thanks Robin,

                I've got an amusing one that looks reasonable in Mac, but not so good elsewhere, I think it's going to be really tricky to get something in a dark color that looks good in the mac style and also the other ones, since mac and plasitque don't shadow the levels of tabs the same way motif, windows and CDE do, but I'll keep trying :-) the lighter window colors seem to work better across the styles. It's been years since I played with widget color schemes, it's kind of fun.

                73,
                -debbie
                N9DN