RE: [DVDongle] Re: Registration Query

  • Norm
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011

      Jeff,

      I’m the admin for W7MOT in Phoenix. I know the admin for KE7JFH and he is always on top of registrations within a day. We both have email notification as soon as someone starts the registration process.

      It is always nice to be registered at the nearest dstar site for many reasons.

      The reason for a delayed approval is more a sensitivity to ensuring the person requesting registration is who they say they are. Remember, once registered a user has access to the global dstar network of gateway and can “key” a repeater in another country. This is a sensitive concern.

      Most admins do some type of due diligence to validate the person registering is licensed and has some means of being contacted by the admin. In the US that is a FCC lookup and an email confirmation. I request a phone number. It’s not a perfect process, but the simplest to follow.

      One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by the admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad email address. I’ve experienced many on our system. If I can’t get an email response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some admins that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and can request more than the basic call sign and email address.

      The W7MOT  system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.

      I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective, once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a black hole.

      If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT, I’ll personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.

      Norm

      Norm Johnson, aa7oo

      W7MOT Dstar Admin

      Technical Chair, MARCA

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011
        Thanks Doug, your help is most appreciated. I will assist KD4ZX with the next step in his registration. As for KF7MMN, if we don't hear anything from KE7JFH or W5KA in the next week or so we might take you up on your offer.

        I found contact info for the trustee in the registration agreement; we will try to contact him directly, maybe the request got stuck in his spam folder or something and doesn't even know it is there.

        Thanks guys for the bandwidth, and your patience while we figure all this out.

        73,
        Mike AE5UM

        On Oct 12, 2011, at 10:18 AM, Doug Ferrell <kd4moj-lists@...> wrote:

        <QUOTE>
        Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX tried to register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH, waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.
        </QUOTE>

        Michael: KD4ZX is missing the terminal entry with a space. I don't see one for KF7MMN at all so either he hasn't been approved yet or didn't go through with the registration.

        if you run into problems, I can register him for you.

        ...DOUG
        KD4MOJ
        NF4DG D-Star Admin

      • kf7mmn
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 13, 2011
          Norm,

          Thank you for responding!   I would be more than happy to provide what ever information you require to complete the registration.

          I submitted (or I assume I submitted) my registration with KE7JFH a little over 2 weeks ago (I didn't write down the exact date).

          If I need to re-submit, I'm fine with that, but don't want to mess anything up by reapplying if it is not necessary.

          Jeff
          KF7MMN

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 14, 2011

            Jeff, Please register at https://w7mot.dstargateway.org/Dstar.do and we’ll get you setup. Norm

            Norm Johnson, aa7oo

            Technical Chair, MARCA

            Thank you for responding!   I would be more than happy to provide what ever information you require to complete the registration.

            I submitted (or I assume I submitted) my registration with KE7JFH a little over 2 weeks ago (I didn't write down the exact date).

            If I need to re-submit, I'm fine with that, but don't want to mess anything up by reapplying if it is not necessary.

            Jeff
            KF7MMN

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <aa7oo.az@...> wrote:

            > Jeff,
            >

            > I'm the admin for W7MOT in Phoenix. I know the admin for KE7JFH and he is
            > always on top of registrations within a day. We both have email
            notification
            > as soon as someone starts the registration process.
            >

            > It is always nice to be registered at the nearest dstar site for many
            > reasons.
            >

            > The reason for a delayed approval is more a sensitivity to ensuring the
            > person requesting registration is who they say they are. Remember, once
            > registered a user has access to the global dstar network of gateway and
            can
            > "key" a repeater in another country. This is a sensitive
            concern.

            > Most admins do some type of due diligence to validate the person registering
            > is licensed and has some means of being contacted by the admin. In the US
            > that is a FCC lookup and an email confirmation. I request a phone number.
            > It's not a perfect process, but the simplest to follow.
            >

            > One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by
            the
            > admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad
            > email address. I've experienced many on our system. If I can't get an
            email
            > response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some
            admins
            > that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and
            > can request more than the basic call sign and email address.
            >

            > The W7MOT system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.
            >

            > I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective,
            > once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a
            > black hole.
            >

            > If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT,
            I'll
            > personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.
            >

            > Norm
            >

            > Norm Johnson, aa7oo
            >
            > W7MOT Dstar Admin
            >
            > Technical Chair, MARCA

          • Jeffrey Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 15, 2011
              Done.  I registered this morning with W7MOT.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

              -Jeff
              KF7MMN

              ________________________________

              wrote:

              > Jeff,
              >

              > I'm the admin for W7MOT in Phoenix. I know the admin for KE7JFH and he is
              > always on top of registrations within a day. We both have email
              notification
              > as soon as someone starts the registration process.
              >

              > It is always nice to be registered at the nearest dstar site for many
              > reasons.
              >

              > The reason for a delayed approval is more a sensitivity to ensuring the
              > person requesting registration is who they say they are. Remember, once
              > registered a user has access to the global dstar network of gateway and
              can
              > "key" a repeater in another country. This is a sensitive
              concern.

              > Most admins do some type of due diligence to validate the person registering
              > is licensed and has some means of being contacted by the admin. In the US
              > that is a FCC lookup and an email confirmation. I request a phone number.
              > It's not a perfect process, but the simplest to follow.
              >

              > One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by
              the
              > admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad
              > email address. I've experienced many on our system. If I can't get an
              email
              > response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some
              admins
              > that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and
              > can request more than the basic call sign and email address.
              >

              > The W7MOT system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.
              >

              > I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective,
              > once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a
              > black hole.
              >

              > If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT,
              I'll
              > personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.
              >

              > Norm
              >

              > Norm Johnson, aa7oo
              >
              > W7MOT Dstar Admin
              >
              > Technical Chair, MARCA

              ; <br>
              > One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by
              the<br>
              > admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad<br>
              > email address. I've experienced many on our system. If I can't get an
              email<br>
              > response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some
              admins<br>
              > that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and<br>
              > can request more than the basic call sign and email address. <br>
              > The W7MOT system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.<br>
              > I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective,<br>
              > once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a<br>
              > black hole.<br>
              > If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT,
              I'll<br>
              > personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.<br>
              > Norm<br>
              > Norm Johnson, aa7oo<br>
              > W7MOT Dstar Admin<br>
              > Technical Chair, MARCA<br>
              I've<br>
              > been using the system for a little while now and really like it. So much
              in<br>
              > fact that I've recruited a couple guys over and they are now trying to get<br>
              > their dongles setup. <br>
              > > Both of them have gotten stuck at the approval process for some
              reason,<br>
              > and I'm concerned that they are going to lose interest if it isn't
              resolved<br>
              > soon.<br>
              > > I was lucky I guess, that my registration on W5KA was approved in
              less<br>
              > than 24 hours, but my Gramps has been waiting for months and was afraid to<br>
              > try again somewhere else for fear of the "duplicate
              registration" issue. He<br>
              > may have tried another gateway by now though, I'm not sure.<br>
              > > I tried the <a target="_blank" href="http://ki4swy.org">ki4swy.org</a> query tool for their call signs, but they come
              up<br>
              > empty, so I'm not sure where to go next.<br>
              > > Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX
              tried to<br>
              > register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH,<br>
              > waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.<br>
              > > Any help you guys can offer will be most appreciated. Thanks!<br>
              > > 73,<br>
              > > Mike AE5UM<br>
              > No virus found in this message.<br>

              <hr noshade="noshade" size="1" align="center" width="100%">

              virus found in this message.<br>