Registration Query

  • Michael Thompson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2011
      Greetings,

      Hi all, I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me out. I've been using the system for a little while now and really like it. So much in fact that I've recruited a couple guys over and they are now trying to get their dongles setup.

      Both of them have gotten stuck at the approval process for some reason, and I'm concerned that they are going to lose interest if it isn't resolved soon.

      I was lucky I guess, that my registration on W5KA was approved in less than 24 hours, but my Gramps has been waiting for months and was afraid to try again somewhere else for fear of the "duplicate registration" issue. He may have tried another gateway by now though, I'm not sure.

      I tried the ki4swy.org query tool for their call signs, but they come up empty, so I'm not sure where to go next.

      Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX tried to register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH, waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.

      Any help you guys can offer will be most appreciated. Thanks!

      73,
      Mike AE5UM
    • kf7mmn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011

        Thanks Mike!  Yes, I'm looking for a registration location.  I tried KE7JFH in Phoenix (since that appeared to be the nearest geographically), but have heard nothing but crickets.   As you said, I tried W5KA last Friday since you had good luck there.

        I don't mind being "denied" if the admin doesn't want to accept my registration.  However, hearing nothing at all is disturbing considering the danger of being registered more than once.

        Thanks for your help!

        -Jeff
        KF7MMN

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Thompson" <ae5um@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Hi all, I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me out. I've been using the system for a little while now and really like it. So much in fact that I've recruited a couple guys over and they are now trying to get their dongles setup.
        >
        > Both of them have gotten stuck at the approval process for some reason, and I'm concerned that they are going to lose interest if it isn't resolved soon.
        >
        > I was lucky I guess, that my registration on W5KA was approved in less than 24 hours, but my Gramps has been waiting for months and was afraid to try again somewhere else for fear of the "duplicate registration" issue. He may have tried another gateway by now though, I'm not sure.
        >
        > I tried the ki4swy.org query tool for their call signs, but they come up empty, so I'm not sure where to go next.
        >
        > Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX tried to register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH, waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.
        >
        > Any help you guys can offer will be most appreciated. Thanks!
        >
        > 73,
        > Mike AE5UM

      • Doug Ferrell
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011
          <QUOTE>
          Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX tried to register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH, waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.
          </QUOTE>

          Michael: KD4ZX is missing the terminal entry with a space. I don't see one for KF7MMN at all so either he hasn't been approved yet or didn't go through with the registration.

          if you run into problems, I can register him for you.

          ...DOUG
          KD4MOJ
          NF4DG D-Star Admin
        • Norm
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011

            Jeff,

            I’m the admin for W7MOT in Phoenix. I know the admin for KE7JFH and he is always on top of registrations within a day. We both have email notification as soon as someone starts the registration process.

            It is always nice to be registered at the nearest dstar site for many reasons.

            The reason for a delayed approval is more a sensitivity to ensuring the person requesting registration is who they say they are. Remember, once registered a user has access to the global dstar network of gateway and can “key” a repeater in another country. This is a sensitive concern.

            Most admins do some type of due diligence to validate the person registering is licensed and has some means of being contacted by the admin. In the US that is a FCC lookup and an email confirmation. I request a phone number. It’s not a perfect process, but the simplest to follow.

            One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by the admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad email address. I’ve experienced many on our system. If I can’t get an email response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some admins that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and can request more than the basic call sign and email address.

            The W7MOT  system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.

            I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective, once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a black hole.

            If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT, I’ll personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.

            Norm

            Norm Johnson, aa7oo

            W7MOT Dstar Admin

            Technical Chair, MARCA

            Thanks Mike!  Yes, I'm looking for a registration location.  I tried KE7JFH in Phoenix (since that appeared to be the nearest geographically), but have heard nothing but crickets.   As you said, I tried W5KA last Friday since you had good luck there.

            I don't mind being "denied" if the admin doesn't want to accept my registration.  However, hearing nothing at all is disturbing considering the danger of being registered more than once.

            Thanks for your help!

            -Jeff
            KF7MMN

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Thompson" <ae5um@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > Hi all, I was wondering if somebody might be able to help me out. I've
            been using the system for a little while now and really like it. So much in fact that I've recruited a couple guys over and they are now trying to get their dongles setup.

            > Both of them have gotten stuck at the approval process for some reason,
            and I'm concerned that they are going to lose interest if it isn't resolved soon.

            > I was lucky I guess, that my registration on W5KA was approved in less
            than 24 hours, but my Gramps has been waiting for months and was afraid to try again somewhere else for fear of the "duplicate registration" issue. He may have tried another gateway by now though, I'm not sure.

            > I tried the ki4swy.org query tool for their call signs, but they come up
            empty, so I'm not sure where to go next.

            > Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX tried to
            register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH, waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.

            > Any help you guys can offer will be most appreciated. Thanks!
            >
            > 73,
            > Mike AE5UM

            No virus found in this message.

          • Mike Thompson
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2011
              Thanks Doug, your help is most appreciated. I will assist KD4ZX with the next step in his registration. As for KF7MMN, if we don't hear anything from KE7JFH or W5KA in the next week or so we might take you up on your offer.

              I found contact info for the trustee in the registration agreement; we will try to contact him directly, maybe the request got stuck in his spam folder or something and doesn't even know it is there.

              Thanks guys for the bandwidth, and your patience while we figure all this out.

              73,
              Mike AE5UM

              <QUOTE>

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 13, 2011
                Norm,

                Thank you for responding!   I would be more than happy to provide what ever information you require to complete the registration.

                I submitted (or I assume I submitted) my registration with KE7JFH a little over 2 weeks ago (I didn't write down the exact date).

                If I need to re-submit, I'm fine with that, but don't want to mess anything up by reapplying if it is not necessary.

                Jeff
                KF7MMN

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2011

                  Jeff, Please register at https://w7mot.dstargateway.org/Dstar.do and we’ll get you setup. Norm

                  Norm Johnson, aa7oo

                  Technical Chair, MARCA

                  Thank you for responding!   I would be more than happy to provide what ever information you require to complete the registration.

                  I submitted (or I assume I submitted) my registration with KE7JFH a little over 2 weeks ago (I didn't write down the exact date).

                  If I need to re-submit, I'm fine with that, but don't want to mess anything up by reapplying if it is not necessary.

                  Jeff
                  KF7MMN

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Norm" <aa7oo.az@...> wrote:

                  > Jeff,
                  >

                  > I'm the admin for W7MOT in Phoenix. I know the admin for KE7JFH and he is
                  > always on top of registrations within a day. We both have email
                  notification
                  > as soon as someone starts the registration process.
                  >

                  > It is always nice to be registered at the nearest dstar site for many
                  > reasons.
                  >

                  > The reason for a delayed approval is more a sensitivity to ensuring the
                  > person requesting registration is who they say they are. Remember, once
                  > registered a user has access to the global dstar network of gateway and
                  can
                  > "key" a repeater in another country. This is a sensitive
                  concern.

                  > Most admins do some type of due diligence to validate the person registering
                  > is licensed and has some means of being contacted by the admin. In the US
                  > that is a FCC lookup and an email confirmation. I request a phone number.
                  > It's not a perfect process, but the simplest to follow.
                  >

                  > One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by
                  the
                  > admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad
                  > email address. I've experienced many on our system. If I can't get an
                  email
                  > response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some
                  admins
                  > that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and
                  > can request more than the basic call sign and email address.
                  >

                  > The W7MOT system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.
                  >

                  > I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective,
                  > once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a
                  > black hole.
                  >

                  > If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT,
                  I'll
                  > personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.
                  >

                  > Norm
                  >

                  > Norm Johnson, aa7oo
                  >
                  > W7MOT Dstar Admin
                  >
                  > Technical Chair, MARCA

                • Jeffrey Jones
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 15, 2011
                    Done.  I registered this morning with W7MOT.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

                    -Jeff
                    KF7MMN

                    ________________________________

                    wrote:

                    > Jeff,
                    >

                    > I'm the admin for W7MOT in Phoenix. I know the admin for KE7JFH and he is
                    > always on top of registrations within a day. We both have email
                    notification
                    > as soon as someone starts the registration process.
                    >

                    > It is always nice to be registered at the nearest dstar site for many
                    > reasons.
                    >

                    > The reason for a delayed approval is more a sensitivity to ensuring the
                    > person requesting registration is who they say they are. Remember, once
                    > registered a user has access to the global dstar network of gateway and
                    can
                    > "key" a repeater in another country. This is a sensitive
                    concern.

                    > Most admins do some type of due diligence to validate the person registering
                    > is licensed and has some means of being contacted by the admin. In the US
                    > that is a FCC lookup and an email confirmation. I request a phone number.
                    > It's not a perfect process, but the simplest to follow.
                    >

                    > One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by
                    the
                    > admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad
                    > email address. I've experienced many on our system. If I can't get an
                    email
                    > response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some
                    admins
                    > that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and
                    > can request more than the basic call sign and email address.
                    >

                    > The W7MOT system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.
                    >

                    > I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective,
                    > once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a
                    > black hole.
                    >

                    > If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT,
                    I'll
                    > personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.
                    >

                    > Norm
                    >

                    > Norm Johnson, aa7oo
                    >
                    > W7MOT Dstar Admin
                    >
                    > Technical Chair, MARCA

                    ; <br>
                    > One break point in this process and a major reason for a non response by
                    the<br>
                    > admin, assuming the gateway has acknowledged you browser request, is a bad<br>
                    > email address. I've experienced many on our system. If I can't get an
                    email<br>
                    > response after a few attempts, the request is denied. There are some
                    admins<br>
                    > that are really into modifying this part of the ICOM gateway software and<br>
                    > can request more than the basic call sign and email address. <br>
                    > The W7MOT system is mostly unmodified in this area as is KE7JFH.<br>
                    > I think you have been very patient, maybe overly. From your perspective,<br>
                    > once you submit, there is no feedback and everything seems to goes into a<br>
                    > black hole.<br>
                    > If you would like to be registered in the Phoenix on KE7JFH, or W7MOT,
                    I'll<br>
                    > personally coordinate the effort. We could get it done tonight.<br>
                    > Norm<br>
                    > Norm Johnson, aa7oo<br>
                    > W7MOT Dstar Admin<br>
                    > Technical Chair, MARCA<br>
                    I've<br>
                    > been using the system for a little while now and really like it. So much
                    in<br>
                    > fact that I've recruited a couple guys over and they are now trying to get<br>
                    > their dongles setup. <br>
                    > > Both of them have gotten stuck at the approval process for some
                    reason,<br>
                    > and I'm concerned that they are going to lose interest if it isn't
                    resolved<br>
                    > soon.<br>
                    > > I was lucky I guess, that my registration on W5KA was approved in
                    less<br>
                    > than 24 hours, but my Gramps has been waiting for months and was afraid to<br>
                    > try again somewhere else for fear of the "duplicate
                    registration" issue. He<br>
                    > may have tried another gateway by now though, I'm not sure.<br>
                    > > I tried the <a target="_blank" href="http://ki4swy.org">ki4swy.org</a> query tool for their call signs, but they come
                    up<br>
                    > empty, so I'm not sure where to go next.<br>
                    > > Their calls are KD4ZX and KF7MMN. My understanding is that KD4ZX
                    tried to<br>
                    > register on KE5RCS (the closest repeater to him) and KF7MMN tried KE7JFH,<br>
                    > waited for a week or so and then tried W5KA since it worked for me.<br>
                    > > Any help you guys can offer will be most appreciated. Thanks!<br>
                    > > 73,<br>
                    > > Mike AE5UM<br>
                    > No virus found in this message.<br>

                    <hr noshade="noshade" size="1" align="center" width="100%">

                    virus found in this message.<br>