Re: IPad Support Coming?

  • k6dpy
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi there,

      Make it for the iPhone instead of the iPad and that will solve the small market problem. Folks will use it in lieu of the HT. Maybe many more folks. With the faster processor iPhone 5 coming out this month, now may be the time to develop this app.

      Dan

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

      > On 8/7/2010 10:07 PM, wt3g_ham wrote:
      > >
      > > It should be possible to get a DVDongle running on an iPad - at least
      > > in theory. The iPad can hook the Dongle through the camera USB
      > > connector, or bluetooth (in a new version, which I WOULD buy). Mic and
      > > audio out are built in to the iPad. Maybe an app to go with it to
      > > interface to the Dongle (get the existing java code into an app.)
      > >
      > > Thoughts, anyone?
      > >
      > > Bill Williams WT3G
      > > -- sent from my iPad
      > >

      > Bill,
      >
      > Theory is about all you have for this project. I have spoken to my son,
      > KD7PRM, who is a professional iPhone/iPad developer.
      > (http://iphone.donaldhays.com/maidenhead/ [free] &
      > http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/esv-bible/id361797273?mt=8 [free] &
      > http://www.thechurchapp.org/ & others)
      >
      > Here are the major challenges and this applies to the iPhone, iPad, and
      > iPod touch:
      >
      > 1. There is no USB host on these devices. The camera adapter for the
      > iPad is an add-on device and may not be available to other applications.
      > 2. The bluetooth support has been historically poor except for earpiece
      > peering. (My son wrote an early "Texas Holdem" app that used bluetooth
      > for multiplayer.)
      > 3. The real interface is either going to be through the dock port or
      > wifi. (Wifi would have greater applicability to other platforms.)
      > 4. The application would have to be written using Apple's tools (not
      > Java, the current DV Dongle betas are not written in Java anyway) and
      > distributed through the App Store.
      >
      > This is such a monumentally small market, there really isn't any reason
      > for a developer to create it. My son's maidenhead app, got probably
      > fewer than a dozen purchases at ($1 to $2) and it is a really good
      > application. (He changed it to free and got thousands of downloads, but
      > that's not a big motivator to do very narrow market apps). So to get
      > such an app written is probably going to require either someone who is
      > into D-STAR and is an iPhone app developer who does it for herself and
      > then makes it available for free or a group of users who want the app
      > need to put up a bounty. Then you have the hardware issues to solve and
      > working with Robin to make sure you are 100% compatible with DPLUS.
      >
      > I have an iPhone, but I use a D-STAR radio for D-STAR. I have a DV
      > Dongle that I occasionally use for DPLUS connectivity, but very rarely
      > (I am hoping to make it into a D-STAR attached autopatch at some
      > point). Professionally my developers develop for Linux/Java/Web using
      > MacOS based laptops/desktops and we have access to an iPad or two. The
      > iPad is a good product, but it is not an open platform for development
      > and so unless your application and hardware attachment has a broad
      > appeal, its pretty painful to even think about extending it.
> [...]
    • David Hubbell
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
        Don't forget Droid market!
        On 10/1/2011 12:11 PM, k6dpy wrote:

> [...]

        > into D-STAR and is an iPhone app developer who does it for herself and
        > then makes it available for free or a group of users who want the app
        > need to put up a bounty. Then you have the hardware issues to solve and
        > working with Robin to make sure you are 100% compatible with DPLUS.
        >
        > I have an iPhone, but I use a D-STAR radio for D-STAR. I have a DV
        > Dongle that I occasionally use for DPLUS connectivity, but very rarely
        > (I am hoping to make it into a D-STAR attached autopatch at some
        > point). Professionally my developers develop for Linux/Java/Web using
        > MacOS based laptops/desktops and we have access to an iPad or two. The
        > iPad is a good product, but it is not an open platform for development
        > and so unless your application and hardware attachment has a broad
        > appeal, its pretty painful to even think about extending it.

      • thebig_a_27
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
          Here, here. There are more Android phones than iPhones already, and it's lead is growing daily. With Android being a more open platform without all the restrictions and limitations of the iThings, perhaps it would be easier for someone to create this app.