Re: Approval

  • Michael Meerman
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
      I tried to sign up a while ago at one of the sites in the UK, but I found it very confusing to find out how to. One website lists all the Dstar repeaters in the UK, and tells you to select the one nearest to you to sign up, but despite trying several of the nearby I never found a working link. Eventually I found a website, and gave my details, but never ever got a response back. Of course I now completely forgot which website that was.
      Can someone please tell me how to register in the UK, and how long it should take?

      thanks

      Michael M0MPM, in Reading

      (PS I am registered with my dutch callsign at PI1UTR which was utterly painless and took less then a day)
    • BEDFORD NEIL
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
        There seems to be no one group that can seem to painlessly register anyone in the UK, not that I know of anyway.
        Unless they 'know' you, it seems to fall on deaf ears most of the time.
        This does seem to come down to some level of personal preference, not something amateur radio should indulge in or tolerate IMO.

        I don't think they (the sysops) realise that they have a duty to register people in their area, as they are the ones that are meant to be doing it, not some far-flung repeater group at the other end of the country, which was in fact where I was registered originally, after much deliberation and 'favour asking' through others, quite simply due to the fact none of my emails were even acknowledged.

        One local(ish) ham tried to register through a repeater group, through my recommendation and direct contact with them, but they didn't actually manage to complete the full process, resulting in me having to get the person registered somewhere else as a result.  Call it lack of knowledge, inability to actually do it or whatever, I have no idea.

        TBH, we do need some central site or contact to register people in the UK.  It certainly doesn't help newcomers into the hobby.

        Neil G7EBY.

        On 20 September 2011 15:20, Michael Meerman <mljmeerman@...> wrote:

        I tried to sign up a while ago at one of the sites in the UK, but I found it very confusing to find out how to. One website lists all the Dstar repeaters in the UK, and tells you to select the one nearest to you to sign up, but despite trying several of the nearby I never found a working link. Eventually I found a website, and gave my details, but never ever got a response back. Of course I now completely forgot which website that was.
        Can someone please tell me how to register in the UK, and how long it should take?

        thanks

        Michael M0MPM, in Reading

        (PS I am registered with my dutch callsign at PI1UTR which was utterly painless and took less then a day)

      • Dave Thomas

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2011
            Hi Neil
            i too have had the same issue here in yeovil. as i see you now and again i will consult with you over this issue at some stage.              Regards robert G6LLP

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
              Hi Robert,

              Not seen you for a while, must give you a ring sometime.

              The 'man that can' has already sent a message, so hopefully it will all be sorted out soon.

              Neil G7EBY.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 21, 2011
                Michael, Some time ago now I contacted the Sysop of GB7DX having spent
                over a Year trying to make some sense of things. He very kindly took my
                Details, registered me, and all has worked since. No hassle. Give him an
                E-Mail, I'm sure you will get some help.

                John (G4VQZ)

                --

                On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:25:14 +0100, Dave Thomas <dave.2w0ruh@...>
                > I tried to sign up a while ago at one of the sites in the UK, but I
                > found it very confusing to find out how to. One website lists all the
                > Dstar repeaters in the UK, and tells you to select the one nearest to
                > you to sign up, but despite trying several of the nearby I never found a
                > working link. Eventually I found a website, and gave my details, but
                > never ever got a response back. Of course I now completely forgot which
                > website that was.
                > Can someone please tell me how to register in the UK, and how long it
                > should take?
                >
                > thanks
                >
                > Michael M0MPM, in Reading
                >
                > (PS I am registered with my dutch callsign at PI1UTR which was utterly
                > painless and took less then a day)

                --
                John.(G4VQZ IO90OU) Chichester PO19 5UA.

                Annoying just about everybody since 1945..

                ---
              • ROBERT FAREY
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
                  Hi Niel
                  many thanks for the chat yesterday evening it was enlightening. hope to see you sometime.                                                   Regards robert G6LLP

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 22, 2011
                    Magically, it works now!

                    Dave 2W0RUH contacted me from the South Glamorgan repeater group and set me up.
                    Not long after, I noticed the 'permission to transmit' message came up!

                    Now for some activity ....

                    73's Michael M0MPM

                    On 21 September 2011 10:58, John Oakley <oakley-john2@...> wrote:
                    Michael,  Some time ago now I contacted the Sysop of GB7DX having spent
                    over a Year trying to make some sense of things. He very kindly took my
                    Details, registered me, and all has worked since. No hassle. Give him an
                    E-Mail, I'm sure you will get some help.

                    John (G4VQZ)

                    --

                    On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:25:14 +0100, Dave Thomas <dave.2w0ruh@...>
                    > I tried to sign up a while ago at one of the sites in the UK, but I
                    > found it very confusing to find out how to. One website lists all the
                    > Dstar repeaters in the UK, and tells you to select the one nearest to
                    > you to sign up, but despite trying several of the nearby I never found a
                    > working link. Eventually I found a website, and gave my details, but
                    > never ever got a response back. Of course I now completely forgot which
                    > website that was.
                    > Can someone please tell me how to register in the UK, and how long it
                    > should take?
                    >
                    > thanks
                    >
                    > Michael M0MPM, in Reading
                    >
                    > (PS I am registered with my dutch callsign at PI1UTR which was utterly
                    > painless and took less then a day)

                    --
                    John.(G4VQZ IO90OU) Chichester PO19 5UA.

                    Annoying just about everybody since 1945..

                    ---

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to: