DVDongle for Dummies

  • lowga
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
      Like at least a few others, I'm having trouble getting the DVTool.jar
      file to execute on my machine. As instructed, I downloaded all the
      files to the desktop into a single folder labeled "DV Tools".

      When I double click on the DVTools file, it briefly attempts to open
      in what looks like a DOS Window, but then closes almost immediately.

      Someone mentioned needing to open a "port" for this application? I
      assume that means a port in the router? But I have no idea how to
      proceed at this point.

      I'm running Windows Vista on a Sony Vaio laptop. All other drivers
      loaded and DVDongle green light is pulsing.

      Any help appreciated.

      Les Rayburn, N1LF
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
        Hi Les. We have seen this problem before. The first thing to try is
        double clicking on the dvtool.bat file instead of DVTool.jar. If you
        get the same results, that means that your O/S is not providing an
        audio input device to the program. You will have to play with the
        audio settings in Vista to see if it helps. At least one other Vista
        user purchased a Logitech USB headset and that fixed his problem.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "lowga" <les@...> wrote:

        > Like at least a few others, I'm having trouble getting the
        DVTool.jar
        > file to execute on my machine. As instructed, I downloaded all the
        > files to the desktop into a single folder labeled "DV Tools".
        >
        > When I double click on the DVTools file, it briefly attempts to open
        > in what looks like a DOS Window, but then closes almost immediately.
        >
        > Someone mentioned needing to open a "port" for this application? I
        > assume that means a port in the router? But I have no idea how to
        > proceed at this point.
        >
        > I'm running Windows Vista on a Sony Vaio laptop. All other drivers
        > loaded and DVDongle green light is pulsing.
        >
        > Any help appreciated.
        >
        > Les Rayburn, N1LF

      • David S. McCallum
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
          Les do you have a router in line????. mac

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
            Thanks for the help in trying to troubleshoot this problem. A few notes:

            A. When I run the batch file, it doesn't change anything. Still unable
            to launch DV Tools. (Yes, all files are in the same folder on the
            desktop)

            B. When I run a command line prompt of "java-version" the reply states
            that this isn't recognized as either an internal or external command.

            Not sure what to make of that. (Windows Vista Business)

            C. I'm using a standard (Non-USB headset) though I can try a USB model
            later today hopefully.

            It seems strange to me that not having an audio input would prevent
            the program from launching.

            I have to say that the software/hardware side of this interface is a
            bit daunting. Any help gratefully appreciated.

            73,

            Les Rayburn, N1LF

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "David S. McCallum" <w7sac2@...> wrote:

            > Les do you have a router in line????. mac

          • k7ve
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
              > B. When I run a command line prompt of "java-version" the reply states

              You need a space in there: java -version

              --
              John D. Hays
              Phone: 801-790-0950
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
                Good point John, also watch out you use the correct length dash. I got caught
                out with copy/paste a emailed java instruction with - < longer version
                created in windows instead of - . This was pointed out me by Robin AA4RC,
                when he helped me with initial linux setup of DVTool.

                Adrian

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
                  OK. Now the command java -version returns the following:

                  Java (TM)SE Runtime Environment <build 1.6.0._05-b13>
                  Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)

                  Again, running Windows Vista Business. All files extracted to desktop
                  folder. No luck running either the batch file or the .TAR file)