Re: new dongle

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

      > once I download this file does it start automatically or do I have
      to click something. Also any ideas on the lights from my last email?

      > Thanks for the help I know this is new and as more get sold the
      questions will probably become more.

      > Doug
      > k6daf

      Doug, there should be instructions on the FTDI site on installation
      procedures. The easy approach is to click on "setup executable" on
      their site and run it once it's downloaded. That should install the
      drivers.

    • Doug Ferris
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
        I think it now sees it.  Cannot tell when I hit open in window by com port I get error  "Cannot exec ambe server"  ....

        Thoughts

        Sorry for all the questions.   Does the pulsating green light mean the computer sees the Dongle and what does the three blinking blue lights mean.

        Doug

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

          > I think it now sees it. Cannot tell when I hit open in window by
          com port I get error "Cannot exec ambe server" ....

          > Thoughts
          >
          > Sorry for all the questions. Does the pulsating green light mean
          the computer sees the Dongle and what does the three blinking blue
          lights mean.

          > Doug

          We've seen this problem when a firewall is turned on in the PC or
          when MSN Messenger has captured the sound card mic input for use.
          Double click on the dvtool.bat file and see if that makes a
          difference.

          The yellow light is transmit from the dongle to the PC, the blue is
          transmit from the PC to the dongle, the green is the status/activity
          indicator, and the red shows underflow or overflow between the dongle
          and the PC. If you see the red light consistently, that usually
          means your PC is too slow to run the app or that you have
          applications hogging the CPU thereby not giving the dongle sufficient
          processor time.

        • john_ke5c
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

            > I think it now sees it. Cannot tell when I hit open in window by
            com port I get error "Cannot exec ambe server" ....
            > Does the pulsating green light mean the computer sees the Dongle
            and what does the three blinking blue lights mean.

            Doug, yes, the pulstating green light means your computer/driver see
            the Dongle. Make sure you have the current version of Java specified
            in the installation instructions, and be sure you have upacked the
            DVTool folder to your Desktop and are executing it from there. (Ask
            me know I know this...). You're getting closer!

            73, John
          • Lyman H. Wolfla II
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 31, 2008
              I have found it very important to carefully read the instructions.
              The DV files must be placed in the Desktop, and you need to install
              the serial port connection to the Dongle before you open the
              software. I had the same type problems as seen on the reflector, and
              by going back and following the instructions carefully, everything
              came up and worked. I now have it running under Windows XP on a
              notebook and Dell desktop, and it sounds great.
              73, Hank - K9LZJ

              ______________
              > Be a better friend, newshound, and

            • Doug Ferris
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
                OK I give up::::

                I have removed and reinstalled software on both laptop and desktop:
                    1. On laptop   dongle is flashing green only when I hit open I get cannot exec ambe server.

                    2. On Desktop  dongle never flashes.  When I hit open I get a message about something 20002 (sorry at office and don't have exact message)

                Do I have a bad dongle?  Or am I out in left field.

                If anyone would like to call me I am at the office with laptop all day.  Number is 760-744-6887 if you don't want to pay LD email me your number and I will call you.

                Thanks

                Doug
                K6DAF

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

                  > OK I give up::::
                  >
                  > I have removed and reinstalled software on both laptop and desktop:
                  > 1. On laptop dongle is flashing green only when I hit open I
                  get cannot exec ambe server.

                  > 2. On Desktop dongle never flashes. When I hit open I get a
                  message about something 20002 (sorry at office and don't have exact
                  message)

                  > Do I have a bad dongle? Or am I out in left field.
                  >
                  > If anyone would like to call me I am at the office with laptop all
                  day. Number is 760-744-6887 if you don't want to pay LD email me
                  your number and I will call you.

                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Doug
                  > K6DAF

                  If the dongle doesn't PULSE green when you plug it in, either you
                  don't have the drivers loaded properly, the USB port is bad, or you
                  don't have the cable pushed all the way in.

                  I tested each dongle before it was shipped out so I hope it is
                  good. :)

                  I'll try to give you a ring this weekend and see if we can figure out
                  what is going on.

                • Lyman H. Wolfla II
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
                    It looks like some are having the same problem with the 20002 error
                    message coming up. I have had this problem, and the only way I can
                    fix it is to move the Dongle between USB ports. For some reason, on
                    both of my Windows XP machines, sometimes the Dongle will not
                    connect. If I move the Dongle to between USB ports, and try it
                    again, all works well. I have also had the problem, come back later
                    and I am able to connect. Don't ask me why, but at least my Dongle
                    works. Now I just leave it pugged into the computer, open the serial
                    port, and let it run. When I want to make a contact, I start the
                    connection to the repeater, and all works great.

                    Hopefuly this might help a few of you.

                    73,

                    Hank
                    K9LZJ

                    ______________
                    > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                    > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

                  • Doug Ferris
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 1, 2008
                      Thanks for the help Robin.  My cell number is 619-520-1434

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Good Morning Robin

                        Well this morning I uninstalled all programs and went step by step re-installing.  This is desktop.  And got it up and working on the Dongle.  When I pressed open it showed all the device info I then connected to a gateway and heard conversation..  Great .  I closed the program and went downstairs for a cup of joe and came back up.  Opened the jar file clicked open and now all I get is Cannot exec ambe server.  I turned off computer changed usb ports and same issue.

                        Thanks and we are making headway..

                        Doug
                        k6daf

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

                          > Good Morning Robin
                          >
                          > Well this morning I uninstalled all programs and went step by step
                          re-installing. This is desktop. And got it up and working on the
                          Dongle. When I pressed open it showed all the device info I then
                          connected to a gateway and heard conversation.. Great . I closed
                          the program and went downstairs for a cup of joe and came back up.
                          Opened the jar file clicked open and now all I get is Cannot exec
                          ambe server. I turned off computer changed usb ports and same issue.

                          > Thanks and we are making headway..
                          >
                          > Doug
                          > k6daf

                          There seems to be something going on with your PATH environment
                          variable. Instead of using DVTool.jar, try dvtool.bat and if it
                          fails, send dvtool.txt and ascp.txt via email and I'll take a look.

                          Also, verify that you have the DVTool folder on your desktop, double
                          click on the folder to bring up a file explorer window, and use that
                          window to double click on programs.

                        • Doug Ferris
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                            Robin that worked.  I had moved the jar file to my desktop and out of the DVtool folder.  When I put it back in the DVtool folder and accessed it, it worked.  Thanks for your patience on this but we are now working on the gateway from the desktop and everyone says it sounds great.  Now I will tackle the laptop.

                            Thanks again

                            Doug

                            > Well this morning I uninstalled all programs and went step by step
                            re-installing. This is desktop. And got it up and working on the
                            Dongle. When I pressed open it showed all the device info I then
                            connected to a gateway and heard conversation. . Great . I closed
                            the program and went downstairs for a cup of joe and came back up.
                            Opened the jar file clicked open and now all I get is Cannot exec
                            ambe server. I turned off computer changed usb ports and same issue.

                            > Thanks and we are making headway..
                            >
                            > Doug
                            > k6daf

                            There seems to be something going on with your PATH environment
                            variable. Instead of using DVTool.jar, try dvtool.bat and if it
                            fails, send dvtool.txt and ascp.txt via email and I'll take a look.

                            Also, verify that you have the DVTool folder on your desktop, double
                            click on the folder to bring up a file explorer window, and use that
                            window to double click on programs.

                          • n4seg
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                              You might try the follow, if you are using a Windows platform:

                              Leave the jar file in the DVtool folder if it isn't already on your
                              desktop. Then find the jar file using Windows Explorer, right click on
                              the jar file, from the menu given select "Sent to". From that displayed
                              menu, select "Desktop (create shortcut)". Then on the desktop you can
                              rename"the shortcut created by right clicking on the shortcut and
                              selecting "Rename". You might want to rename it just "DVDongle" or
                              "D-Star".

                              That's how I have done it and it works fine.

                              N4SEG Steve G.

                              ________________________________________________________________________\
                              ____________

                            • k6daf@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                                Thanks Steve that worked great. I guess we are all in a learning mode. That's what is so great about our hobby the folks that you met and the help. Look forward to talking to you sometime on the dv dongle.

                                73
                                Doug
                                K6daf

                                __________________________________________________________\
                                ____________
                                > Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                http://mobile. <http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

                              • Greg Forrest
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                                  I would like to connect the Dongle to one computer (server) on the Home LAN,
                                  and be able to access it from other computers (clients) on the LAN.
                                  Conditions:

                                  Dongle is plugged into server; FTDI driver and JAVA are installed;
                                  DVTOOL.jar/Dongle runs fine on server (I can connect to dstar systems).

                                  DVTOOL is closed (not running) on server;

                                  Windows Firewall disabled on server and client. I can ping server from
                                  client, and visa versa.

                                  On client, I checked Remote Host, entered the server's IP and default port
                                  20002. DVTOOL on client reports "Cannot open device 192.168.0.16:20002".

                                  When Dongle is connected to client, it runs fine.

                                  Anyone have any ideas?

                                  Greg Forrest
                                  N6LDJ

                                  W6YYY/W6UUU Trustee
                                  440.0375 +5MHz Voice (Oakland, CA)
                                  444.0375 +5MHz Voice (Pleasanton "Garage", CA)
                                  925-337-4444
                                  intermod@...
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 2, 2008
                                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Forrest" <intermod@...> wrote:

                                    > I would like to connect the Dongle to one computer (server) on the
                                    Home LAN,
                                    > and be able to access it from other computers (clients) on the LAN.
                                    > Conditions:
                                    >
                                    > Dongle is plugged into server; FTDI driver and JAVA are installed;
                                    > DVTOOL.jar/Dongle runs fine on server (I can connect to dstar
                                    systems).

                                    > DVTOOL is closed (not running) on server;
                                    >
                                    > Windows Firewall disabled on server and client. I can ping server
                                    from
                                    > client, and visa versa.
                                    >
                                    > On client, I checked Remote Host, entered the server's IP and
                                    default port
                                    > 20002. DVTOOL on client reports "Cannot open device
                                    192.168.0.16:20002".

                                    > When Dongle is connected to client, it runs fine.
                                    >
                                    > Anyone have any ideas?
                                    >

                                    > Greg Forrest
                                    > N6LDJ

                                    Did you start the ascpseriald server program on the server?

                                  • Greg Forrest
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                      Had not. Just executed ascpseriald.exe now and it does not seem to run (in
                                      XP); looks like it attempts to start (flashes up momentarily in Task
                                      Manager) but then fails. I deleted the original ascp.txt, but a new one was
                                      not created.

                                      It could be running - am I looking for a process called aspc or similar?

                                      Attached is the original ascp.txt which might help.

                                      > Did you start the ascpseriald server program on the server?

                                      Thanks for your help.

                                      Greg
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Forrest" <intermod@...> wrote:

                                        > Had not. Just executed ascpseriald.exe now and it does not seem to
                                        run (in
                                        > XP); looks like it attempts to start (flashes up momentarily in Task
                                        > Manager) but then fails. I deleted the original ascp.txt, but a new
                                        one was
                                        > not created.

                                        Are you giving it the correct arguments? "ascpseriald COMn 20002"
                                        where "n" is your com port on the windows dongle server.

                                        Robin
                                      • Greg Forrest
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                          That did it.

                                          I suspect I can place a bat file in the startup folder for this?

                                          Thanks for your time.

                                          Greg

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                            For the group:

                                            The reason I placed the Dongle on a different PC than the one running DVTOOL
                                            was to eliminate dropped connections. The Dongle was physically attached to
                                            a W2k/P4/2.4 GHz desktop machine what is running many other desktop
                                            applications. The Dongle connection would drop often (you would see red
                                            flashes on the Dongle LEDs before it disconnected).

                                            The Dongle is now connected to a headless file/music server (dual Xeon
                                            processors; SCSI drives). Has not dropped a connection yet - very solid.
                                            Also, now any computer on the LAN can the Dongle (one at a time).

                                            Greg

                                          • Adam Fast
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 3, 2008
                                              Good news.

                                              When I heard about this functionality I had a specific goal in mind,
                                              and I'm glad to report that it works with flying colors.

                                              As long as it's set up properly, you CAN share your dongle over the
                                              internet (to those you trust, of course)

                                              I have a machine with the dongle connected, and forwarded some ports
                                              through my firewall, and a friend has connected from HIS computer to
                                              my dongle, and it's working great. (he's about 90 miles away, out of
                                              our repeater coverage, and doesn't have a D-Star radio anyway)

                                              This opens some interesting doors for emergency comm. and we now have
                                              some further research to do with some of the things this can do.
                                              (Centralized dongle "pools" with high bandwidth for remote systems to
                                              use for checking in with?)

                                              Adam

                                              On Feb 3, 2008 4:43 PM, Greg Forrest <intermod@...> wrote:

                                              > For the group:
                                              >
                                              > The reason I placed the Dongle on a different PC than the one running
                                              > DVTOOL
                                              > was to eliminate dropped connections. The Dongle was physically attached to
                                              > a W2k/P4/2.4 GHz desktop machine what is running many other desktop
                                              > applications. The Dongle connection would drop often (you would see red
                                              > flashes on the Dongle LEDs before it disconnected).
                                              >
                                              > The Dongle is now connected to a headless file/music server (dual Xeon
                                              > processors; SCSI drives). Has not dropped a connection yet - very solid.
                                              > Also, now any computer on the LAN can the Dongle (one at a time).
                                              >
                                              > Greg

                                            • Doug Ferris
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                Hi Robin

                                                Well we have touchdown on the laptop.  All is working fine after I uninstalled everything and loaded everything onto the desktop then access thru the DV tools folder then accessing the jar file.  I did get a better microphone for the laptop and it really made a difference on the quality of the voice.  Now we have both the desktop and laptop up and running.

                                                Question on the cable.  I want to get a shorter one as both location only need about six inches.  What do I need to look for?  Anything special as type of cable.

                                                Thanks again for your time on this..

                                                73
                                                Doug
                                                K6DAF

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 4, 2008
                                                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Doug Ferris <k6daf@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Robin
                                                  >
                                                  > Well we have touchdown on the laptop. All is working fine after I
                                                  uninstalled everything and loaded everything onto the desktop then
                                                  access thru the DV tools folder then accessing the jar file. I did
                                                  get a better microphone for the laptop and it really made a
                                                  difference on the quality of the voice. Now we have both the desktop
                                                  and laptop up and running.

                                                  > Question on the cable. I want to get a shorter one as both
                                                  location only need about six inches. What do I need to look for?
                                                  Anything special as type of cable.

                                                  Hi Doug. Good to hear you got things working. As for the cable, any
                                                  USB A to Mini B 5 pin cable should work.