Re: Trying to help a friend get on with Dongle and Need Help.

  • ki4ggh
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2011

      You may be on something there.

      I looked up his call on the link and find this:

      The callsign you have entered is: N4CBS

      Information about this callsign:

      Registered Repeaters
      Repeater
      Terminal Count
      Registration Page
      DstarUsers Page
      DstarInfo Page
      K4FWB *
      1
      Link
      Link
      Link
      * = Possible Home Gateway
      (Where you would edit the below terminal information)

      Terminals Information
      Terminal CS
      Last TX On
      pcname
      timestamp {utc}
      N4CBS A
      K4FWB
      n4cbs-880h
      2011-04-20 17:56:56

      I told him to use N4CBS  D   The D would stand for Dongle. N4CBS at one time had a DStar Radio and was registered. He has since sold his DStar Radio and now uses the Dongle Only.

      Here is what I found when I looked up my call.

      The callsign you have entered is: KI4GGH

      Information about this callsign:

      Registered Repeaters
      Repeater
      Terminal Count
      Registration Page
      DstarUsers Page
      DstarInfo Page
      WB4HRO *
      3
      Link
      Link
      Link
      * = Possible Home Gateway
      (Where you would edit the below terminal information)

      Terminals Information
      Terminal CS
      Last TX On
      pcname
      timestamp {utc}
      KI4GGH
      W4IAX
      ki4ggh
      2011-09-03 19:13:25
      KI4GGH A
      WB4HRO
      ki4ggh-dvap
      2011-06-13 14:17:12
      KI4GGH D
      WB4HRO
      ki4ggh-dongle
      2011-06-13 14:17:12

      HRO in Atlanta registered me when I bought my DStar Radio. I looks like they registered me for a DVap as well as a Dongle even though I did not own either one at the time.  This is why I can use D where N4CBS Can not use D.

      Now my question is should he just try A if it works and stick with N4CBS A and not register the D.  I woonder if the PC Name will cause a  problem for N4CBS if he uses the A call ??  I have even looked up other calls tonight and some use a M (Mobile ?)

      73's

      Chris

      KI4GGH

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy Benner" <rudy@...> wrote:

      > Is his callsign registered?
      >
      > http://query.ki4swy.org/index.php
      >
      > Has he selected a module?
      >
      > ve3bdr

    • Edmonton Fire Radio
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011

        I was reading Chris KI4GGH’s question about his DV Dongle and this started me thinking. I just use my call sign without adding a D at the end of the field. Is there a reason some people use a D after their call sign to indicate they are on a DV Dongle? I understand from his email that it indicates that  they are using a DV Dongle, but if you go to reflector 1C and watch the history, it already shows DNGL for people that are using this device even if they don’t have a D next to their call sign.

        Since it already indicates this as the device type, is there really a reason people should add the D or is it more of a personal choice?

        73 de Jeff VE6EFR

      • Matt Maguire
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
          No problem for him to just use "N4CBS  A" with his DVDongle. The PC name doesn't matter at all.

          /Matt VK2ACL.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
            Hi Jeff. There is no requirement to use the letter in the 8th position of mycall. It is recommended so that folks using radios talking to repeaters/gateways know that you cannot be contacted using callsign routing.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Edmonton Fire Radio" <edmontonfireradio@...> wrote:

            > I was reading Chris KI4GGH's question about his DV Dongle and this started
            > me thinking. I just use my call sign without adding a D at the end of the
            > field. Is there a reason some people use a D after their call sign to
            > indicate they are on a DV Dongle? I understand from his email that it
            > indicates that they are using a DV Dongle, but if you go to reflector 1C
            > and watch the history, it already shows DNGL for people that are using this
            > device even if they don't have a D next to their call sign.
            >

            > Since it already indicates this as the device type, is there really a reason
            > people should add the D or is it more of a personal choice?
            >

            > 73 de Jeff VE6EFR

          • Matt Maguire
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
              You can't callsign-route to a dongle. If you put a "D" in the 8th position of your callsign field, then it is clear you are using a dongle, and people will know not to bother trying to callsign-route to you. If you don't put a "D" in the 8th position of your callsign when using a DV Dongle, that will work fine too. I have a handheld radio, and a dongle, which I occasionally use at the same time. So, I use the plain callsign for my radio, and the callsign with "D" for my dongle. People can callsign-route to my radio just using my plain callsign, and they can easily tell which callsign belongs to the dongle, since it ends in "D".

              /Matt VK2ACL.

              On 09/09/2011, at 9:57 PM, Edmonton Fire Radio wrote:

              I was reading Chris KI4GGH’s question about his DV Dongle and this started me thinking. I just use my call sign without adding a D at the end of the field. Is there a reason some people use a D after their call sign to indicate they are on a DV Dongle? I understand from his email that it indicates that  they are using a DV Dongle, but if you go to reflector 1C and watch the history, it already shows DNGL for people that are using this device even if they don’t have a D next to their call sign.

              Since it already indicates this as the device type, is there really a reason people should add the D or is it more of a personal choice?

              73 de Jeff VE6EFR

            • Stanley Hess
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011
                It looks like N4CBS does not have a "space" entry.  The D-Star system will not see a callsign as registered until the "space" terminal is entered even with other terminals entered.  Hence, dplus doesn't allow DVDongle transmit.

                Refer to http://www.dstargateway.org/D-Star_Registration.html  for more instructions on this.
                Hope this helps.

                Stanley Hess   N3KDA
                K3PDR Gateway Administrator

              • StanleyH
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9, 2011

                    Thanks, Robin and Matt. I appreciate the replies.

                    Matt, that’s an interesting application. I can see in your case how it really makes sense. Out of curiosity, is call sign routing used much? Or is that a feature of DSTAR that is only used by the minority?

                    Jeff VE6EFR

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 10, 2011
                      To be honest, I have never had a successful two-way QSO using callsign routing (either the remote operator is not there, or did not know how to program their radio to get back to me. Or maybe they just didn't want to talk to me... :-) ).

                      There are some significant limitations of callsign routing:

                      - both parties need to be accessing a repeater via RF ports. Callsign routing won't work with dongles, DVAPs and hotspots.

                      - you can't listen to what is happening on the remote repeater before you transmit. You just have to transmit and hope that there was not already a QSO in progress. You have no way of knowing if you clashed with someone until after you unkey your mike. I'm the sort of operator who likes to listen much more than talk, so for me this limitation is quite onerous. I am so thankful to Robin, not only for developing my DVDongle and DVAP, but for developing D-Plus linking as well, which does allow you to monitor exactly what is happening on a remote repeater or reflector.

                      - the operator at the other end needs to know how to program their radio to get back to you. Many operators don't seem very comfortable with configuring the DSTAR settings on their radios. Many will just let a knowledgeable member of the club program up their radio, and they'll just sit on their local repeater, which may be permanently linked to a reflector by the repeater admin. All they need to do is select the repeater channel on their radio and key their mike.

                      - When you move from one repeater to another, the updates take a long time (typically hours, I understand) to propagate throughout the network. There are enhancements, such as ircddb, which can make the updates almost instantaneous, but then both parties must be accessing repeaters on the ircddb network (unfortunately in Australia, most of the repeaters do not participate).

                      - using callsign routing, only two repeaters can be involved. If you want to have a three-way conversation where the parties are on three separate repeaters, then you are out of luck with standard callsign routing. There is an interesting extension called "STARnet" which allows you to "callsign route" to a "talkgroup", and anyone registered with that talkgroup will receive your transmission (again, in Australia, I think there is only one repeater in the country participating in this).

                      So, there are solutions to the limitations of callsign routing, but apart from D-Plus linking, they have not been universally adopted. In Japan itself, where the D-STAR standards were developed, they don't use D-Plus linking at all. Maybe there callsign routing is more prevalent, but I wouldn't know (and I can't listen to what is happening on the repeaters in Japan, because callsign routing doesn't support it, and they don't run D-Plus).

                      So, there you have it. Maybe others on the list use callsign routing more regularly with more success, but my guess is that they are almost certainly the minority.

                      73,
                      Matt VK2ACL