Re: Hardware PTT for DVTool?

  • kj0eyt_the_ham
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2011
      I would like to respectfully request this too. I apologize for jacking an older thread but figured this'd be the best place to add to the list for this request.

      I'm curious if this option exists already, as I know D-Rats can work through the DVTool software (although I'm unsure about V2 beta), is this something that works via the API via a network socket connection? I only know enough to be dangerous in this arena :). Is there a way to open a simple network socket, send out some type of PTT ON command/request, then again do the same thing when issuing a PTT OFF command/request?

      I've been using a converted mobile phone headset with built-in mic and it has a button on it. I know I'd need to construct some sort of hardware circuit as I don't think the computer would do anything with that, but a circuit could intercept that button push and then feed that into the computer via serial or USB or something, then have a monitoring program of some sorts to look for that and finally communicate with the DVTool via network socket (or whatever).

      Another option would be to monitor for a file, kind of like how DPLUS (I think it's DPLUS) works on the gateway for linking/unlinking and/or voice announcements. This might work easier for programmers who may not have an experience with network sockets or APIs, but know how to create a file.

      Another afterthought here would be for DTMF support in the audio stream... i.e., to listen for, and act upon, DTMF tones. If someone were to construct DTMF capabilities (to inject true DTMF tones into the mic input audio) that could be used to control various functions of the DVTool software... things like PTT ON/OFF (including locking PTT), muting, connecting/disconnecting to a gateway, favorite gateway selection, etc... I realize this would probably involve extra work, just thought I'd through that out there. :)

      Just my additional 2 cents. Thanks for all the efforts and 73 to all.

      de KJ0EYT