DV Dongle connected to a repeater

  • edmontonfireradio
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10 6:35 AM
      If someone is connected to a repeater using a DV Dongle, does that keep someone on RF that is using that same repeater from being able to do things like link to a reflector while I am connected? Or does the repeater look at the dongle as just another user?

      The reason I ask is that if I were to get a DV Dongle and want to monitor our local DSTAR repeater, I wouldn't want to tie up the repeater keeping other people from being able to use it.

      73 de Jeff VE6EFR
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10 8:38 AM
        Hi Jeff. That is a good question. DV Dongle users connect into gateways and reflectors using the same resource pool. Since gateways usually have a small pipe to the internet, the dplus software defaults to a limit of 4 connected users. This is in addition to any linking between the gateway and other gateways or reflectors.

        The short answer is "you won't impact RF users". :)

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "edmontonfireradio" <edmontonfireradio@...> wrote:

        > If someone is connected to a repeater using a DV Dongle, does that keep someone on RF that is using that same repeater from being able to do things like link to a reflector while I am connected? Or does the repeater look at the dongle as just another user?
        >
        > The reason I ask is that if I were to get a DV Dongle and want to monitor our local DSTAR repeater, I wouldn't want to tie up the repeater keeping other people from being able to use it.
        >
        > 73 de Jeff VE6EFR

      • edmontonfireradio
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10 9:05 AM
          Hi, Robin.

          Thank you for that information. That's really good news as I wouldn't want my activity to diminish the enjoyment of others on the system. Granted, the local repeater doesn't get all that much use and from looking at the information online, can go for a day or so with no activity at all. But knowing that connecting to the repeater using a dv dongle will be pretty much transparent to other users makes me look forward to getting into DSTAR using this method.

          73 de Jeff VE6EFR