Re: [DVDongle] Re: Wish List??

  • J. Moen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2011
      John,

      Well said.

         Jim - K6JM
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: John
      Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:01 AM
      Subject: [DVDongle] Re: Wish List??

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, BEDFORD NEIL <barrymung@...> wrote:

      > "Callsign Routing" is a feature of G2, Not DPLUS, hence it is not
      > supported. Its the level below the DPLUS (or DEXTRA), next to the bit that
      > controls a repeater (or G2 enabled 'Hotspot').

      This is misleading.  Callsign routing proceeded G2 (it was also in V1), since it is what the D-STAR specification defines for both radio to radio communications as well as radio to remote repeater communication.  G2 and other gateways such as G4ULF and ircDDBGateway implement the D-STAR specification for callsign routing.

      DPLUS (and DEXTRA) are separate and distinct applications, that "bolt-on" to D-STAR systems using their own routing methodologies, protocols, and procedures. There are good and valid reasons for linking, but it is not based on the D-STAR specification.  Robin was very creative in figuring out how to perform linking against what is essentially a black box (the Icom gateway, both V1 and G2).

      It is not a question of one or the other.  It is a matter of understanding each tool and using it in its proper and intelligent place.  For example, it doesn't make sense to tie up 25 repeaters on a reflector for two stations to spend hours coordinating their 20 meter contact, nor does it make sense for a repeater to be tied 24x7 to a reflector that is quiet 95% of the time, locking out all other "links" --  in both of these cases using callsign routing between unlinked repeaters makes more sense.   Its not an intelligence test, as Jim alluded, its a matter of knowing how and when to use the tools in your toolbox.

      There is a new kid on the block, STARnet Digital, that uses native D-STAR callsign routing to bring groups together much like a reflector does.  Some of the DVDONGLE and DVAP users would like to be able to join those groups.  (As an intermediate step, STARnet Groups can bridge in a DEXTRA reflector to allow this,  I have asked Robin to consider allowing similar bridging to DPLUS [it is simple for STARnet Digital to add the feature] -- though I think DVDONGLES should talk to a proxy server that puts them on the network as if they were a radio with full callsign routing.)

      -- John K7VE