DVTool 2.0 beta 4 "Timeout connecting to name server"

  • wa7zzi
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2011
      I have installed DVTool2.0beta4.exe on two different Win 7 PC's with the following results:

      1. DVTool opens properly and populates its DOS window with information and also opens the DVTool GUI window.
      2. DVDongle slowly blinking green most of the time with occasional blue / orange flashes when the DVDongle is talking to the PC.
      3. When the DV Device "Open" button is pushed, the DOS window reports "Timeout connecting to name server" after a delay of about five seconds. The DV Dongle serial number appears on the GUI window below the name "DV Dongle."
      4. No stations are shown in the Connect to Gateway drop-down menu.
      5. Pushing the Connect to Gateway button returns immediate "Connecting to gateway" and "Cannot connect to gateway" entries in the DOS window.
      6. There is no indication that DVTool is in any way connecting to the internet.
      7. Turning off the Windows firewall has no impact.
      8. Audio tests under the Setup tab in DVTool work properly.
      9. I am using a Linksys WRT600N router.
      10. I have completed the two-step D-STAR registration process.

      Would greatly appreciate any assistance from the DVDongle brain trust.

      Don
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2011
        Hi Don. I looked through the logs and I don't see any attempt by WA7ZZI to contact the name/auth server for the gateway list. If you are connecting to your router wirelessly, you might try a direct connection. Also, you might try power cycling your router.

        If that does not work, try pinging dstarns.dstargateway.org to see if your system can see the server.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wa7zzi" <wa7zzi@...> wrote:

        > I have installed DVTool2.0beta4.exe on two different Win 7 PC's with the following results:
        >
        > 1. DVTool opens properly and populates its DOS window with information and also opens the DVTool GUI window.
        > 2. DVDongle slowly blinking green most of the time with occasional blue / orange flashes when the DVDongle is talking to the PC.
        > 3. When the DV Device "Open" button is pushed, the DOS window reports "Timeout connecting to name server" after a delay of about five seconds. The DV Dongle serial number appears on the GUI window below the name "DV Dongle."
        > 4. No stations are shown in the Connect to Gateway drop-down menu.
        > 5. Pushing the Connect to Gateway button returns immediate "Connecting to gateway" and "Cannot connect to gateway" entries in the DOS window.
        > 6. There is no indication that DVTool is in any way connecting to the internet.
        > 7. Turning off the Windows firewall has no impact.
        > 8. Audio tests under the Setup tab in DVTool work properly.
        > 9. I am using a Linksys WRT600N router.
        > 10. I have completed the two-step D-STAR registration process.
        >
        > Would greatly appreciate any assistance from the DVDongle brain trust.
        >
        > Don

      • Chris Fowler
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2011
          As far as DNS goes, you may want to go to www.opendns.com and use their
          DNS instead of your ISP's. They'll provide you with the IP of the
          closest DNS server. I had some issues streaming Netflix and Roku told
          me to give it a try. Seems to work well for Netflix.

          Chris
        • Woodrick, Ed
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2011

            This generally caused by the network blocking some of your ports.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2011
              Robin,

              I power cycled the router with no effect. i am using a wired network. A ping of dstarns.dstargateway.org failed. Does this indicate that my router is blocking the connection? If so, what should I change in its settings to remedy this?

              Thanks!

              Don

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "aa4rc" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

              > Hi Don. I looked through the logs and I don't see any attempt by WA7ZZI to contact the name/auth server for the gateway list. If you are connecting to your router wirelessly, you might try a direct connection. Also, you might try power cycling your router.
              >
              > If that does not work, try pinging dstarns.dstargateway.org to see if your system can see the server.

              > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wa7zzi" <wa7zzi@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have installed DVTool2.0beta4.exe on two different Win 7 PC's with the following results:
              > >
              > > 1. DVTool opens properly and populates its DOS window with information and also opens the DVTool GUI window.
              > > 2. DVDongle slowly blinking green most of the time with occasional blue / orange flashes when the DVDongle is talking to the PC.
              > > 3. When the DV Device "Open" button is pushed, the DOS window reports "Timeout connecting to name server" after a delay of about five seconds. The DV Dongle serial number appears on the GUI window below the name "DV Dongle."
              > > 4. No stations are shown in the Connect to Gateway drop-down menu.
              > > 5. Pushing the Connect to Gateway button returns immediate "Connecting to gateway" and "Cannot connect to gateway" entries in the DOS window.
              > > 6. There is no indication that DVTool is in any way connecting to the internet.
              > > 7. Turning off the Windows firewall has no impact.
              > > 8. Audio tests under the Setup tab in DVTool work properly.
              > > 9. I am using a Linksys WRT600N router.
              > > 10. I have completed the two-step D-STAR registration process.
              > >
              > > Would greatly appreciate any assistance from the DVDongle brain trust.
              > >
              > > Don

            • John D. Hays
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2011
                Can you ping anything else?  Also try ping 65.254.57.90 --

                If you get ping replys from the IP address then its a DNS lookup problem (try using 8.8.8.8 as your DNS host)

                John D. Hays
                +1-206-801-0820
                US Toll Free: +1-85-JOHN-HAYS
                PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2011

                  Did it fail with no reply, or did it fail with unable to resolve address?

                  It definitely looks like something is blocking something. But a ping really has nothing to do with the D-STAR or DPLUs protocols. But since it is broken, that’s an indicator that there’s a bigger issue.

                  Is named running on the gateway?

                  Ed WA4YIH

                  I power cycled the router with no effect. i am using a wired network. A ping of dstarns.dstargateway.org failed. Does this indicate that my router is blocking the connection? If so, what should I change in its settings to remedy this?

                  Thanks!

                  Don

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "aa4rc" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Don. I looked through the logs and I don't see any attempt by WA7ZZI to contact the name/auth server for the gateway list. If you are connecting to your router wirelessly, you might try a direct connection. Also, you might try power cycling your router.
                  >
                  > If that does not work, try pinging dstarns.dstargateway.org to see if your system can see the server.

                  > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wa7zzi" <wa7zzi@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have installed DVTool2.0beta4.exe on two different Win 7 PC's with the following results:
                  > >
                  > > 1. DVTool opens properly and populates its DOS window with information and also opens the DVTool GUI window.
                  > > 2. DVDongle slowly blinking green most of the time with occasional blue / orange flashes when the DVDongle is talking to the PC.
                  > > 3. When the DV Device "Open" button is pushed, the DOS window reports "Timeout connecting to name server" after a delay of about five seconds. The DV Dongle serial number appears on the GUI window below the name "DV Dongle."
                  > > 4. No stations are shown in the Connect to Gateway drop-down menu.
                  > > 5. Pushing the Connect to Gateway button returns immediate "Connecting to gateway" and "Cannot connect to gateway" entries in the DOS window.
                  > > 6. There is no indication that DVTool is in any way connecting to the internet.
                  > > 7. Turning off the Windows firewall has no impact.
                  > > 8. Audio tests under the Setup tab in DVTool work properly.
                  > > 9. I am using a Linksys WRT600N router.
                  > > 10. I have completed the two-step D-STAR registration process.
                  > >
                  > > Would greatly appreciate any assistance from the DVDongle brain trust.
                  > >
                  > > Don

                • wa7zzi
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2011
                    The response was "Request timed out."

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Woodrick, Ed" <ewoodrick@...> wrote:

                    > Did it fail with no reply, or did it fail with unable to resolve address?
                    >
                    > It definitely looks like something is blocking something. But a ping really has nothing to do with the D-STAR or DPLUs protocols. But since it is broken, that's an indicator that there's a bigger issue.
                    >
                    > Is named running on the gateway?
                    >
                    > Ed WA4YIH

                  • wa7zzi
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2011
                      Yes, I am able to ping other sites. The specific response from pinging both dstarns.dstargateway.org and 65.254.57.90 is "Request timed out."

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

                      > Can you ping anything else? Also try ping 65.254.57.90 --
                      >
                      > If you get ping replys from the IP address then its a DNS lookup problem
                      > (try using 8.8.8.8 as your DNS host)
                      >
                      > John D. Hays
                      > +1-206-801-0820
                      > US Toll Free: +1-85-JOHN-HAYS
                      > K7VE Blog <http://k7ve.org/blog> / SIP: john@...
                      > PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                      > Drop all federal taxes down to less than 1% (SS, Medicare, Income,
                      > Gasoline,...) <http://www.apttax.com>
                      >

                      > On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 5:16 PM, wa7zzi <wa7zzi@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Robin,
                      > >
                      > > I power cycled the router with no effect. i am using a wired network. A
                      > > ping of dstarns.dstargateway.org failed. Does this indicate that my router
                      > > is blocking the connection? If so, what should I change in its settings to
                      > > remedy this?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      > >
                      > > Don

                    • Beischel
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 22, 2011
                        I just picked up my Dongle at Dayton. When using the Beta software, after a few minutes of receiving, the audio locks into a constant buzzing sound. Nothing can be controlled except disconnecting the gateway and then reconnecting. But the problem keep reappearing.

                        Any information as to what may be causing this issue?

                        System is a Mac with 10.6.7 OSX. HDMI audio output to speakers on monitor.

                        Thanks,

                        Duffy
                        www.wb8nut.com
                      • Barry Kanne
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 22, 2011
                          I have been experiencing this also, but with internal speakers in Mac Book running OSX 10.6.7.

                          Barry
                          W4TGA

                          On May 22, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Beischel wrote:

                          > I just picked up my Dongle at Dayton. When using the Beta software, after a few minutes of receiving, the audio locks into a constant buzzing sound. Nothing can be controlled except disconnecting the gateway and then reconnecting. But the problem keep reappearing.
                          >
                          > Any information as to what may be causing this issue?
                          >
                          > System is a Mac with 10.6.7 OSX. HDMI audio output to speakers on monitor.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Duffy
                          > www.wb8nut.com

                        • Jess
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 23, 2011
                            I've had my Dongle for quite a long time. I've used it successfully on PC's and Mac's.

                            I've been using DVTool 2.0 Beta2 under 10.6.7 of Mac OS X. When I tried to upgrade to Beta4 last week I experienced a similar problem, in fact it was worse; the application wouldn't disconnect from any Gateway once connected. I had to do a "Force Quit" which I very much don't like to do with a Mac application. At first I thought I merely needed to download the latest FTDI driver but I downloaded and installed v. 2.2.16 and it made no difference at all.

                            I happen to be using a Bluetooth headset but that still works fine if I use DVTool 2.0 beta2. I have reverted to the beta2 version for now.

                            Robin said he was going to look into this after Dayton. I'm looking forward to that; meanwhile beta2 works fine. There are said to be important improvements in beta4 but since it doesn't work for me I can't comment about them.

                            Does anyone know where the log file might be found on the Mac for what's happening when I try to run beta4? Thus far I have not found it. Mac's log everything so I know it must be somewhere...

                            Jess Girard
                            ND1L
                            nd1l@...

                            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Beischel" <beischel@...> wrote:

                            > I just picked up my Dongle at Dayton. When using the Beta software, after a few minutes of receiving, the audio locks into a constant buzzing sound. Nothing can be controlled except disconnecting the gateway and then reconnecting. But the problem keep reappearing.
                            >
                            > Any information as to what may be causing this issue?
                            >
                            > System is a Mac with 10.6.7 OSX. HDMI audio output to speakers on monitor.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Duffy
                            > www.wb8nut.com

                          • Eddie Cail (KJ4LRB)
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 23, 2011
                              Hi Jess,

                              My name is Eddie (KJ4LRB) I noticed you said you were using a bluetooth headset. Was there anything special you had to do to configure it? I am using 2.0 Beta as well with Windows 7. I have a plantronics 590 that I like because it is a full headset and sits on top rather than behind your head. Thanks for any advice and 73’s.

                              Eddie

                              P.S

                              I am running my very first D STAR net tonight and am a bit excited and somewhat nervous. Smile

[...]

                              mailto:nd1l%40arrl.net

                              --- In mailto:DVDongle%40yahoogroups.com, "Beischel" <beischel@...> wrote:

                              > I just picked up my
                              Dongle at Dayton. When using the Beta software, after a few minutes of receiving, the audio locks into a constant buzzing sound. Nothing can be controlled except disconnecting the gateway and then reconnecting. But the problem keep reappearing.

                              > Any information as to what may be
                              causing this issue?

                              > System is a Mac with 10.6.7 OSX. HDMI audio
                              output to speakers on monitor.

                              > Thanks,

                              Duffy
                              > www.wb8nut.com

                            • Jess
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 24, 2011
                                Hi Eddie:

                                I've been trying to respond to this but my PC has a new interesting virus which I may just have finally fixed... we'll see! Anyway, sorry for the delay getting back to you!

                                It's quite simple to set up a Bluetooth headset under Mac Snow Leopard. I've never had a PC which can speak to a Bluetooth device so I don't know how to so it. On a Mac you do into System Preferences, to Bluetooth, pair the headset with the computer and then tell it to use the headset for all audio input and output. That's about it!

                                I'd like to use the little switch on the headset as a PTT for the DV Dongle software but when I press the switch it disconnects from the computer which doesn't really help. My Mac laptop has built-in speakers and microphone but that doesn't work well with the DV Dongle.

                                Good luck & 73
                                Jess

                                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie Cail \(KJ4LRB\)" <kj4lrb@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Jess,
                                >
                                > My name is Eddie (KJ4LRB) I noticed you said you were using a bluetooth headset. Was there anything special you had to do to configure it? I am using 2.0 Beta as well with Windows 7. I have a plantronics 590 that I like because it is a full headset and sits on top rather than behind your head. Thanks for any advice and 73’s.
                                >
                                > Eddie
                                >
                                > P.S
                                >
                                > I am running my very first D STAR net tonight and am a bit excited and somewhat nervous.

                              • Rudy Benner
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 24, 2011
                                  One can hope that this might be addressed in the new version.

                                  Great device. Good value.

                                  ve3bdr

                                  --- In mailto:DVDongle%40yahoogroups.com, "Eddie Cail \(KJ4LRB\)" <kj4lrb@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi
                                  Jess,

                                  > My name is Eddie (KJ4LRB) I noticed you said you were
                                  using a bluetooth headset. Was there anything special you had to do to configure it? I am using 2.0 Beta as well with Windows 7. I have a plantronics 590 that I like because it is a full headset and sits on top rather than behind your head. Thanks for any advice and 73’s.

                                  > Eddie

                                  P.S

                                  > I am running my very first D STAR net tonight and am a bit
                                  excited and somewhat nervous.

                                  Monday, May 23, 2011 11:05 AM
                                  > To:
                                  href="mailto:DVDongle%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:DVDongle%40yahoogroups.com
                                  > Subject: [DVDongle] Re: DVTool 2.0 beta 4 buzz saw receive
                                  audio

                                  > I've had my Dongle for quite a
                                  long time. I've used it successfully on PC's and Mac's.

                                  > I've
                                  been using DVTool 2.0 Beta2 under 10.6.7 of Mac OS X. When I tried to upgrade to Beta4 last week I experienced a similar problem, in fact it was worse; the application wouldn't disconnect from any Gateway once connected. I had to do a "Force Quit" which I very much don't like to do with a Mac application. At first I thought I merely needed to download the latest FTDI driver but I downloaded and installed v. 2.2.16 and it made no difference at all.

                                  happen to be using a Bluetooth headset but that still works fine if I use DVTool 2.0 beta2. I have reverted to the beta2 version for now.

                                  > Robin
                                  said he was going to look into this after Dayton. I'm looking forward to that; meanwhile beta2 works fine. There are said to be important improvements in beta4 but since it doesn't work for me I can't comment about them.

                                  Does anyone know where the log file might be found on the Mac for what's happening when I try to run beta4? Thus far I have not found it. Mac's log everything so I know it must be somewhere...

                                  > Jess
                                  Girard
                                  > ND1L
                                  > mailto:nd1l%40arrl.net
                                  >
                                  > --- In
                                  mailto:DVDongle%40yahoogroups.com, "Beischel" <beischel@> wrote:

                                  > > I just picked up my Dongle at Dayton. When using the Beta
                                  software, after a few minutes of receiving, the audio locks into a constant buzzing sound. Nothing can be controlled except disconnecting the gateway and then reconnecting. But the problem keep reappearing.

                                  Any information as to what may be causing this issue?

                                  System is a Mac with 10.6.7 OSX. HDMI audio output to speakers on monitor.

                                  > > Thanks,

                                  Duffy