RE: [DVDongle] Some audio-samples codec2, AMBE and cascading

  • Doug Bade
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2010

      Kristoff;

      I am not sure if it is just me but when I unzipped the files, Windows media player errors on the ambe ending wave files.. I was able to listen to the C2 files.. but all 3 files ending in *ambe.wav throw errors.

      The ambe to c2 file plays but not the other way around.

      Doug

      KD8B

      some audio-samples codec2, AMBE and cascading

      Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:11:51 +0100

      Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@...>

      freetel-codec2@...

      Hi,

      I am working on an extension of the DSTAR voice-announcement software
      (which includes code to drive the DVdongle AMBE encoder/decoder) and
      have just finished to code to allow decoding AMBE audio-samples back to
      .wav-files

      This gave me the possibility to do some experimenting with the AMBE
      codec and compair it with the codec2 vocodec.
      I've also did some additional tests of how well these codecs perform
      when doing codec cascading. (i.e. multiple encode/decode cycles).

      I've posted a file containting some audio-saples online.
      It can be found here:
      http://villazeebries.krbonne.net/dstar/temp/codectest_samples.zip
      (3.2 Mbyte)

      It contains the following samples:
      * Original file:
      codectest_orig.wav

      Recorded using a logitech USB microphone (that came with one of the
      "sing along" games for the Wii of my daughter. :-) ), using audacity on
      a ubuntu box. No processing was done on this file.

      * Single pass encoding/decoding:
      codectest_ambe.wav
      codectest_c2.wav

      * Codec cascading:
      codectest_ambe_ambe.wav
      codectest_ambe_c2.wav
      codectest_c2_ambe.wav
      codectest_c2_c2.wav

      "codectest_ambe_c2" means: encode/decode with AMBE followed by
      encode/decode using codec2.
      (etc.)

      I'm not going to comment on the quality of the vocodecs (so not to
      influence somebody else's opinion) but I think the results are
      "interesting".

      Some additional comments:
      - when running "c2demo" on the file "codectest_ambe.raw", I got these
      messages:

      $ ./c2demo codectest_ambe.raw codectest_ambe_c2.raw
      LSP roots not found!
      roots = 0
      a[0] = 1.000000
      a[1] = nan
      a[2] = nan
      a[3] = nan
      a[4] = nan
      a[5] = nan
      a[6] = nan
      a[7] = nan
      a[8] = nan
      a[9] = nan
      a[10] = nan

      (same text repeated 6 times).

      - The source-code of the voice-announcement package version 0.1.2 (which
      will include the code to decode AMBE-files into .wav-files) will be
      released later this week.
      (I've still have got some cleaning-up of the source code to do :-) ).

      More info: http://villazeebries.krbonne.net/hamstuff/

      73s
      Kristoff ON1ARF

    • Gary Pearce KN4AQ
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
        At 03:40 PM 12/29/2010, Doug Bade wrote:
        Kristoff;

        I am not sure if it is just me but when I unzipped the files, Windows media player errors on the ambe ending wave files. I was able to listen to the C2 files, but all 3 files ending in *ambe.wav throw errors.

        Doug KD8B

        I'm having trouble with those files, too. I opened them in Adobe Audition (professional audio program). No errors, but no sound on any of the *ambe.wav files.

        73,
        Gary KN4AQ

        ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
        Gary Pearce KN4AQ
        508 Spencer Crest Ct.
        Cary, NC 27513
        kn4aq@...
        919-380-9944
        www.ARVideoNews.com

      • kb9mwr
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
          I noticed as well that those files did not play on a Windows machine

          I had no problems using play and bplay (command line linux player tools) or with VLC under X.

          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Gary Pearce KN4AQ <kn4aq@...> wrote:

          > At 03:40 PM 12/29/2010, Doug Bade wrote:
          > >Kristoff;
          > >
          > >I am not sure if it is just me but when I unzipped the files, Windows
          > >media player errors on the ambe ending wave files. I was able to listen to
          > >the C2 files, but all 3 files ending in *ambe.wav throw errors.
          > >
          > >Doug KD8B
        • Tony Langdon
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
            At 07:39 AM 12/30/2010, you wrote:

            >Interesting comparison -- I too, will allow people to take a listen
            >and make their judgment. I have my preference as well.

            Yes, rather interesting. No clear preference here, mic
            characteristics seem to be way different to the D-STAR radios, and
            most dongle users, and that seemed to colour things more than the
            codecs for me. As for the codecs themselves, no clear preference for
            me. There were some clear differences in the concatenation samples
            though, some were definitely better than others there.

            P.S. WAV files played fine for me using iTunes on a Mac.

            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            http://vkradio.com
          • John D. Hays
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
              On 12/30/2010 6:07 AM, Gary Pearce KN4AQ wrote:

              At 03:40 PM 12/29/2010, Doug Bade wrote:

              Kristoff;

              I am not sure if it is just me but when I unzipped the files, Windows media player errors on the ambe ending wave files. I was able to listen to the C2 files, but all 3 files ending in *ambe.wav throw errors.

              Doug KD8B

              I'm having trouble with those files, too. I opened them in Adobe Audition (professional audio program). No errors, but no sound on any of the *ambe.wav files.

              73,
              Gary KN4AQ

              Worked with Audacity and they should all be .wav files.
              --
              John D. Hays
              Amateur Radio Station K7VE
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                Hi Gary, Doug,

                Op 30-12-10 15:07, Gary Pearce KN4AQ schreef:

                >> I am not sure if it is just me but when I unzipped the files, Windows
                >> media player errors on the ambe ending wave files. I was able to
                >> listen to the C2 files, but all 3 files ending in *ambe.wav throw errors.
                >>
                >> Doug KD8B
                >

                > I'm having trouble with those files, too. I opened them in Adobe
                > Audition (professional audio program). No errors, but no sound on any
                > of the *ambe.wav files.

                You are correct. There is indeed a problem with these WAV-files.

                I didn't notice it because all the tools I use are on linux (mplayer,
                vlc, audicity) play them out OK but when I tried it with Itunes on a
                mac, it didn't play them out neither.
                VLC and audaticy on mac did play it out correctly. (perhaps the windows
                version of these application will also do read them OK).

                To read and write the wav-files, I use the libsndfile library (a
                cross-platform library to read/write audio-files in all kind of
                different formats).
                When I checked the file-information of these files using Finder on mac,
                it said the length of the files was 0. It looks there is a bug in my
                code that closes the output file before doing a "sf_close", so that the
                header of the wav-file is not correct.

                Thanks for pointing it out. Looks like I have a little bit of
                bug-squashing to do. :-)

                > 73,
                > Gary KN4AQ
                Kristoff ON1ARF
              • John D. Hays
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 30, 2010
                  Works on Audacity for Windows -- Free.

                  --
                  John D. Hays
                  Amateur Radio Station K7VE
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2010
                    Hi Tony,

                    Op 30-12-10 18:51, Tony Langdon schreef:
                    > Interesting comparison -- I too, will allow people to take a listen
                    >> and make their judgment. I have my preference as well.
                    > Yes, rather interesting. No clear preference here, mic characteristics seem to be way different to the D-STAR radios, and most dongle users, and that seemed to colour things more than the codecs for me. As for the codecs themselves, no clear preference for me. There were some clear differences in the concatenation samples though, some were definitely better than others there.
                    That is a very valid point.

                    As mentioned, this was recorded using a microphone that came with a
                    Wii-game (it's branded EA, but "lsusb" says it is a logitech), which
                    probably has very different characteristics then -say- a microphone of a
                    headset or D-STAR radio.

                    Also, the "enviroment" in which this was recorded (a silent room) might
                    be simular to -say- a dongle-user, but is very different from what you
                    would get from -say- a mobile rig or a handheld with all kinds of
                    background noise.

                    Perhaps it would be interesting to make a number of recording in
                    different kinds of enviroments: a silent room, a shack with a QSO on
                    some other radio in the background, mobile in a car, using a handheld,
                    etc. and do this test again.

                    Does somebody have any experience on how to do this? Any idea how to
                    attach a transceiver-microphone to a laptop (or some other way to
                    emulate a recording using a mobile rig?)

                    > P.S. WAV files played fine for me using iTunes on a Mac.
                    BTW. I found the bug that caused the corrupted files (timing-issues
                    between threads). I've re-created the wav-files and updated the
                    zip-file. It's at the same URL as before.

                    And, of course, the very best for 2011 to everybody!

                    > 73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                    > http://vkradio.com
                    Chééério!
                    Kristoff ON1ARF