D-Star Newbie Question: How Register My Call: K6IWA

  • Global BCM
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi All,

      I've been loaned a DV Dongle and downloaded DVTools2.0beta4.exe. I can visually "receive" other hams on my Lenovo T500 laptop but not yet allowed to xmit.

      (1) Please advise how I can register my call K6IWA (more properly "K6IWA A" using a dongle). Also,

      (2) Any advice how to deal with intermittent audio -- even when in DV Dongle audio test mode.

      Thx, 73, Bob K6IWA Laguna Niguel, CA USA
    • Global BCM
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
        Bob K6IWA here again,

        Additional info on intermittent sound card behavior: Whether DV Dongle Testing or listening to REF004, I only hear my/their audio when I click either the "STOP DV Dongle Testing" or "DISCONNECT from Gateway" buttons. Suggestions, please... 73, Bob

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Global BCM" <rlmccord@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I've been loaned a DV Dongle and downloaded DVTools2.0beta4.exe. I can visually "receive" other hams on my Lenovo T500 laptop but not yet allowed to xmit.
        >
        > (1) Please advise how I can register my call K6IWA (more properly "K6IWA A" using a dongle). Also,
        >
        > (2) Any advice how to deal with intermittent audio -- even when in DV Dongle audio test mode.
        >
        > Thx, 73, Bob K6IWA Laguna Niguel, CA USA

      • kg4vub
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
          Instructions for registering can be found here:

          http://www.dstargateway.org/D-Star_Registration.html

          On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Global BCM <rlmccord@...> wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I've been loaned a DV Dongle and downloaded DVTools2.0beta4.exe.  I can visually "receive" other hams on my Lenovo T500 laptop but not yet allowed to xmit.
          >
          > (1) Please advise how I can register my call K6IWA (more properly "K6IWA A" using a dongle).  Also,
          >
          > (2) Any advice how to deal with intermittent audio -- even when in DV Dongle audio test mode.
          >
          > Thx, 73, Bob K6IWA Laguna Niguel, CA USA

        • Francis Miele

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2010
              Hi Bob,

              your local D-Star repeater (K6SOA) admins are very helpful, they can be contacted via the website:

              Laguna Niguel seems to have more than its fair share of active D-Star users.

              Vy 73 de Darren
              G7LWT/AK4DB

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                Hi All... got the DV Dongle working... had to upgrade my soundcard drivers. Question: Is it true that I can ONLY xmit via the K6SOA repeater gateway where I've now registered? No access directly to REV001, REV002, REV004, etc.? Tnx all for the advice yesterday.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                  Hi Bob. Once you are registered on one gateway, you should have access to them all. In fact, registering on multiple gateways can cause issues.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010
                    you should be able to connect to/transmit on  any gateway or reflector that allow dvdongles.

                    --Fran, W1FJM

                    On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Global BCM <rlmccord@...> wrote:

                    Hi All... got the DV Dongle working... had to upgrade my soundcard drivers. Question: Is it true that I can ONLY xmit via the K6SOA repeater gateway where I've now registered? No access directly to REV001, REV002, REV004, etc.? Tnx all for the advice yesterday.

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Storer, Darren" <darren.storer@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bob,
                    >
                    > your local D-Star repeater (K6SOA) admins are very helpful, they can be
                    > contacted via the website:
                    >
                    > http://www.soara.org/
                    >
                    > <http://www.soara.org/>Laguna Niguel seems to have more than its fair share
                    > of active D-Star users.
                    >
                    > Vy 73 de Darren
                    > G7LWT/AK4DB
                    >
                    > On 2 December 2010 17:16, Global BCM <rlmccord@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi All,
                    > >
                    > > I've been loaned a DV Dongle and downloaded DVTools2.0beta4.exe. I can
                    > > visually "receive" other hams on my Lenovo T500 laptop but not yet allowed
                    > > to xmit.
                    > >
                    > > (1) Please advise how I can register my call K6IWA (more properly "K6IWA A"
                    > > using a dongle). Also,
                    > >
                    > > (2) Any advice how to deal with intermittent audio -- even when in DV
                    > > Dongle audio test mode.
                    > >
                    > > Thx, 73, Bob K6IWA Laguna Niguel, CA USA

                  • John Hays
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2010

                      On Dec 3, 2010, at 1:42 PM, Global BCM wrote:

                      Hi All... got the DV Dongle working... had to upgrade my soundcard drivers. Question: Is it true that I can ONLY xmit via the K6SOA repeater gateway where I've now registered? No access directly to REV001, REV002, REV004, etc.? Tnx all for the advice yesterday.

                      No, once registered, you can connect to any DPLUS gateway or reflector in the pull down list in DVTOOL (USROOT registered systems) or if you have a radio and get on D-STAR, any repeater/gateway registered with USROOT.

                      John D. Hays
                      Amateur Radio Station K7VE
                      PO Box 1223
                      Edmonds, WA 98020-1223