Re: [DVDongle] Re: CLI-tools for DVDongle

  • John D. Hays
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2010
      On 9/19/2010 6:41 PM, aa4rc wrote:

      Hi Kristoff. It is actually on my todo list.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > Anybody any idea where I can find any CLI-based tools available for
      > linux for the DVDongle?

      ,___

      Sweet...
      --
      John D. Hays
      Amateur Radio Station K7VE

    • Kristoff Bonne
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2010
        Hi John,

        Op 20-09-10 01:39, John D. Hays schreef:

        Anybody any idea where I can find any CLI-based tools available for
        linux for the DVDongle?

        _
          --> I have yet to find someone who builds dongle software that understands the need for a CLI tool to convert wav to AMBE --

        Well, that's strange because this is exactly the opposite way of doing opensource development.

        Normally, you work buttom-up:

        - You start by a low-level library and a public API.
        - Then you add a couple of cli-tools, to prove its usefullness and so it can be used in bash and other scripts.
        - Then, if people find it usefull, the perl, python, ruby, ... guys build their wrapper around it so they can use it natively, or gets natively incorporated in all kinds of application.

        The development of the codecs by the xiph.org-team (vorbis, ogg, speex, flac, theora, ...) is a nice example of that.

        but you could start with
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dstar_development/files/
        Jonathan tends to do both Linux and Windows versions of his tools.
        Thanks for the link.

        There is some very interesting code in there. I'm not really a C++ programmer, but I'll try to manage to roll it into a library and some simple apps.
        (Do not take that as a promise !! I say 'try!' :-) )

        I'm usually a perl-programmer with some knowledge of C. My C++ experience is pretty limited.

        Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
      • Kristoff Bonne
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2010
          Hi Robin,

          Op 20-09-10 03:41, aa4rc schreef:

          >> Hi,
          >>

          >> Anybody any idea where I can find any CLI-based tools available for
          >> linux for the DVDongle?
          >>

          > Hi Kristoff. It is actually on my todo list.

          Nice!

          I guess what is needed is just a CLI-wrapper around the java-classes for
          this protocol.

          Is this your own development or a java-wrapper around the C++ libraries
          of Johathan? If it is your own code, can we download it somewhere?
          It always interesting to compair two different code-lines for the same
          thing. Sometimes people tackle the same problem in very different ways,
          which always very interesting to see. :-)

          Cheerio!
          Kristoff