Re: [DVDongle] Re: OK I have purchased a DVDongle... now what!

  • John Oakley
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
      Try GB7DX Paul. Declan was happy to register mine after 18 Months of
      trying.

      John... (G4VQZ)

      ------------

      --
      "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

      ----
    • Paul C
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
        Well after no luck for a month (bought 19 August) John from Birmingham came to my assistance. The dongle now does operate the TX button.

        As my working shift pattern has changed I will have to wait to use the dongle to talk with anyone. I work as a school caretaker in a pattern that seems to have a pattern that I am working when most people are on. :-(

        So I will be on some time frustratingly when the DStar is the quietest!

        Thanks to everyone and catch you on the air somewhere.

        Paul G4IJL

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John Oakley" <g4vqz.oakley8@...> wrote:

        > Try GB7DX Paul. Declan was happy to register mine after 18 Months of
        > trying.
        >
        > John... (G4VQZ)
        >
        > ------------
        >
        > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:15:00 +0100, Paul C <g4ijl@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Well I tried to register at GB3IN, no luck. I have have now tried the
        > > South Yorkshire Repeater Group. I will let you know how I get on.
        > > Paul G4IJL
        > >

        > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "J. Moen" <jmm@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >> Paul,
        > >>
        > >> My understanding is that D-Star Repeater Administrators in the UK do
        > >> not allow full self-service registration. That's true for some
        > >> repeaters in other parts of the world. Just contact a nearby D-Star
        > >> repeater's admin and request that you be registered.
        > >>
        > >> To find a nearby repeater, go to
        > >> http://www.dstarusers.org/repeaters.php?repeatersort=5 and select UK as
        > >> the country. When you find a repeater you are interested in, click on
        > >> the call and you will be shown details about the repeater. Typically
        > >> it will show the web address of the club or group that manages the
        > >> repeater. Click on that link to find how to register on that repeater.
        > >>
        > >> I picked GB7YD in Barnsley at random and clicked on their web link. It
        > >> took me to the South Yorkshire Repeater Group site, and there I clicked
        > >> on their D-STAR Registration tab. In this case, they have you fill in
        > >> a form with your callsign, name, email, address etc. I think from
        > >> there, the admin will setup the actual registration for you.
        > >>
        > >> Jim - K6JM

      • John Hays
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
          Since REF001C   is the busiest internationally, try a call there from time to time.  There are a lot of systems connected and you just might catch someone.

          On Sep 13, 2010, at 3:53 AM, Paul C wrote:

          Well after no luck for a month (bought 19 August) John from Birmingham came to my assistance. The dongle now does operate the TX button.

          As my working shift pattern has changed I will have to wait to use the dongle to talk with anyone. I work as a school caretaker in a pattern that seems to have a pattern that I am working when most people are on. :-(

          So I will be on some time frustratingly when the DStar is the quietest!

          Thanks to everyone and catch you on the air somewhere.

          Paul G4IJL

          John D. Hays
          Amateur Radio Station K7VE
          PO Box 1223
          Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
          VOIP/SIP: john@...
          Phone: 206-801-0820
          801-790-0950
          Fax: 866-309-6077
          Email: john@...

        • J. Moen
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
            The DVTool application for the DVDongle will allow you to link to repeaters and reflectors all over the world.  If you don't mind talking to someone in another country, you can nearly always find someone to talk to, 24 hours a day.

            One trick -- go to http://www.dstarusers.org/ to get an updated list of D-Star user transmissions very recently heard.  Check out the reporting node and link to that.  You may connect in within a couple of minutes of their last transmission, and they will probably still be there.

            Connect to one that looks interesting to you.  Frequently you can announce yourself or even call CQ and discover someone else was monitoring and will talk to you.

            Good luck!

               Jim - K6JM