Re: [DVDongle] OK I have purchased a DVDongle... now what!

  • Donald Jacob
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
      Paul,
      Registering is a good thing. Find a D-Star repeater near you and email the administrator with your request for registration.
      As for the greyed out PTT, the band for the repeater or reflector must be selected for it to enable. If you see a "*" (without quotes) then it will listen to all modules of the repeater/reflector. Change that dropdown menu to one of the letters and see if it works.

      Reflector 1 C is quite active as is Reflector 12 A

      Hope this helps, good luck and hope to hear you on D-Star soon.

      73
      Don  WB5EKU

      On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Paul C <g4ijl@...> wrote:

      Dear all,

      I have purchased a brand new DV Dongle. I took time to set it up and it now receives perfectly. The TX button is greyed out. As with other systems (Echolink and eQSO) I assume I need to register my callsign somewhere to be allowed to transmit.

      The local repeater does not do any VoIP the only other repeater I can get to does not do VoIP either so the sysops are not able to help. So to who do I get into touch to have transmission privileges?

      Yours
      Paul G. Chapman
      G4IJL
      www.qrz.com/db/g4ijl
      Echolink node 92376 ;-)

    • John D. Hays
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
        On 9/4/2010 10:07 AM, Paul C wrote:

        Dear all,

        I have purchased a brand new DV Dongle. I took time to set it up and it now receives perfectly. The TX button is greyed out. As with other systems (Echolink and eQSO) I assume I need to register my callsign somewhere to be allowed to transmit.

        The local repeater does not do any VoIP the only other repeater I can get to does not do VoIP either so the sysops are not able to help. So to who do I get into touch to have transmission privileges?

        Yours
        Paul G. Chapman
        G4IJL
        www.qrz.com/db/g4ijl
        Echolink node 92376 ;-)

        __._,_.

        For registration, contact the Sheffield or Birmingham groups.

        http://www.gb7bm.com/ (Registration link on left)
        http://www.gb7sf.org.uk/

        Unless there is something closer.

        --
        John D. Hays
        Amateur Radio Station K7VE

      • J. Moen
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2010
          Paul,

          My understanding is that D-Star Repeater Administrators in the UK do not allow full self-service registration.  That's true for some repeaters in other parts of the world.  Just contact a nearby D-Star repeater's admin and request that you be registered.

          To find a nearby repeater, go to http://www.dstarusers.org/repeaters.php?repeatersort=5 and select UK as the country.  When you find a repeater you are interested in, click on the call and you will be shown details about the repeater.  Typically it will show the web address of the club or group that manages the repeater.  Click on that link to find how to register on that repeater.

          I picked GB7YD in Barnsley at random and clicked on their web link.  It took me to the South Yorkshire Repeater Group site, and there I clicked on their D-STAR Registration tab.  In this case, they have you fill in a form with your callsign, name, email, address etc.  I think from there, the admin will setup the actual registration for you.

             Jim - K6JM

          The administrator from any repeater with a Gateway can register you (actually you do it yourself and they approve it). The custom is to pick the closest, even if it isn't in radio range, but any can do it.  Go to www.dstarusers.org, look at the repeater directory, and click on the page for a reasonably nearby repeater. There should be a link for registration. If for some reason, they won't do it, try another.

          Welcome! Maybe we'll have a chance to chat on the semi-air.

          73,
          Gary KN4AQ

          At 01:07 PM 9/4/2010, Paul C wrote:

          Dear all,

          I have purchased a brand new DV Dongle. I took time to set it up and it now receives perfectly. The TX button is greyed out. As with other systems (Echolink and eQSO) I assume I need to register my callsign somewhere to be allowed to transmit.

          The local repeater does not do any VoIP the only other repeater I can get to does not do VoIP either so the sysops are not able to help. So to who do I get into touch to have transmission privileges?

          Yours
          Paul G. Chapman
          G4IJL
          www.qrz.com/db/g4ijl
          Echolink node 92376 ;-)

          ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
          Gary Pearce KN4AQ
          508 Spencer Crest Ct.
          Cary, NC 27513
          kn4aq@...
          919-380-9944
          www.ARVideoNews.com

        • Paul C
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
            Well I tried to register at GB3IN, no luck. I have have now tried the South Yorkshire Repeater Group. I will let you know how I get on.
            Paul G4IJL

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "J. Moen" <jmm@...> wrote:

            > Paul,
            >
            > My understanding is that D-Star Repeater Administrators in the UK do not allow full self-service registration. That's true for some repeaters in other parts of the world. Just contact a nearby D-Star repeater's admin and request that you be registered.
            >
            > To find a nearby repeater, go to http://www.dstarusers.org/repeaters.php?repeatersort=5 and select UK as the country. When you find a repeater you are interested in, click on the call and you will be shown details about the repeater. Typically it will show the web address of the club or group that manages the repeater. Click on that link to find how to register on that repeater.
            >
            > I picked GB7YD in Barnsley at random and clicked on their web link. It took me to the South Yorkshire Repeater Group site, and there I clicked on their D-STAR Registration tab. In this case, they have you fill in a form with your callsign, name, email, address etc. I think from there, the admin will setup the actual registration for you.
            >
            > Jim - K6JM

          • John Oakley
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
              Try GB7DX Paul. Declan was happy to register mine after 18 Months of
              trying.

              John... (G4VQZ)

              ------------

              --
              "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

              ----
            • Paul C
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
                Well after no luck for a month (bought 19 August) John from Birmingham came to my assistance. The dongle now does operate the TX button.

                As my working shift pattern has changed I will have to wait to use the dongle to talk with anyone. I work as a school caretaker in a pattern that seems to have a pattern that I am working when most people are on. :-(

                So I will be on some time frustratingly when the DStar is the quietest!

                Thanks to everyone and catch you on the air somewhere.

                Paul G4IJL

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John Oakley" <g4vqz.oakley8@...> wrote:

                > Try GB7DX Paul. Declan was happy to register mine after 18 Months of
                > trying.
                >
                > John... (G4VQZ)
                >
                > ------------
                >
                > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:15:00 +0100, Paul C <g4ijl@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Well I tried to register at GB3IN, no luck. I have have now tried the
                > > South Yorkshire Repeater Group. I will let you know how I get on.
                > > Paul G4IJL
                > >

                > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "J. Moen" <jmm@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Paul,
                > >>
                > >> My understanding is that D-Star Repeater Administrators in the UK do
                > >> not allow full self-service registration. That's true for some
                > >> repeaters in other parts of the world. Just contact a nearby D-Star
                > >> repeater's admin and request that you be registered.
                > >>
                > >> To find a nearby repeater, go to
                > >> http://www.dstarusers.org/repeaters.php?repeatersort=5 and select UK as
                > >> the country. When you find a repeater you are interested in, click on
                > >> the call and you will be shown details about the repeater. Typically
                > >> it will show the web address of the club or group that manages the
                > >> repeater. Click on that link to find how to register on that repeater.
                > >>
                > >> I picked GB7YD in Barnsley at random and clicked on their web link. It
                > >> took me to the South Yorkshire Repeater Group site, and there I clicked
                > >> on their D-STAR Registration tab. In this case, they have you fill in
                > >> a form with your callsign, name, email, address etc. I think from
                > >> there, the admin will setup the actual registration for you.
                > >>
                > >> Jim - K6JM

              • John Hays
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
                  Since REF001C   is the busiest internationally, try a call there from time to time.  There are a lot of systems connected and you just might catch someone.

                  On Sep 13, 2010, at 3:53 AM, Paul C wrote:

                  Well after no luck for a month (bought 19 August) John from Birmingham came to my assistance. The dongle now does operate the TX button.

                  As my working shift pattern has changed I will have to wait to use the dongle to talk with anyone. I work as a school caretaker in a pattern that seems to have a pattern that I am working when most people are on. :-(

                  So I will be on some time frustratingly when the DStar is the quietest!

                  Thanks to everyone and catch you on the air somewhere.

                  Paul G4IJL

                  John D. Hays
                  Amateur Radio Station K7VE
                  PO Box 1223
                  Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                  VOIP/SIP: john@...
                  Phone: 206-801-0820
                  801-790-0950
                  Fax: 866-309-6077
                  Email: john@...

                • J. Moen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 13, 2010
                    The DVTool application for the DVDongle will allow you to link to repeaters and reflectors all over the world.  If you don't mind talking to someone in another country, you can nearly always find someone to talk to, 24 hours a day.

                    One trick -- go to http://www.dstarusers.org/ to get an updated list of D-Star user transmissions very recently heard.  Check out the reporting node and link to that.  You may connect in within a couple of minutes of their last transmission, and they will probably still be there.

                    Connect to one that looks interesting to you.  Frequently you can announce yourself or even call CQ and discover someone else was monitoring and will talk to you.

                    Good luck!

                       Jim - K6JM