beta useage

  • ki0la
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24 8:57 AM
      I am helping a ham set up his dongle using the "beta" version. we have the version showing that the devise is open, checked the audio level and cannot get the "ptt" to lite or function. What step are we missing to use the program. he has registered and received conformation on the local repeater and gateway. Thanks; Bob, ki0la
    • Kent Hufford
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 24 12:56 PM

        You have to pick a single repeater or reflector letter, you cannot leave it blank or on *.

        I am helping a ham set up his dongle using the "beta" version. we have the version showing that the devise is open, checked the audio level and cannot get the "ptt" to lite or function. What step are we missing to use the program. he has registered and received conformation on the local repeater and gateway. Thanks; Bob, ki0la

      • Francis Miele
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24 12:59 PM
          the call sign being used must be registered on a DSTAR gateway

          --
          Fran, W1FJM

          On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM, ki0la <sheets_oil@...> wrote:

          I am helping a ham set up his dongle using the "beta" version. we have the version showing that the devise is open, checked the audio level and cannot get the "ptt" to lite or function. What step are we missing to use the program. he has registered and received conformation on the local repeater and gateway. Thanks; Bob, ki0la

        • kg4vub
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24 1:03 PM
            Have you completed the second part of the registration process?

            Continuing with Step 8 at the following link...

            http://www.dstargateway.org/D-Star_Registration.html

            On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM, ki0la <sheets_oil@...> wrote:
            > I am helping a ham set up his dongle using the "beta" version. we have the version showing that the devise is open, checked the audio level and cannot get the "ptt" to lite or function. What step are we missing to use the program. he has registered and received conformation on the local repeater and gateway. Thanks; Bob, ki0la

          • Gary Pearce KN4AQ
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24 1:12 PM
              At 11:57 AM 8/24/2010, ki0la wrote:

              I am helping a ham set up his dongle using the "beta" version. we have the version showing that the devise is open, checked the audio level and cannot get the "ptt" to lite or function. What step are we missing to use the program. he has registered and received conformation on the local repeater and gateway. Thanks; Bob, ki0la

              Hi, Bob,

              Unavailable PTT is a symptom of not being registered. You said he was, but there are a couple things to be aware of.

              If the registration is brand new (just today), it can take a few hours for that info to be propagated to the repeater and reflector system.

              And registration is a two-step process. Lots of people finish step one, and get an e-mail with instructions for step two, but never follow through on that.

              I can't think of any other dongle setup that you need to do. Have you tried entering your call (KI0LA) into the dongle to see if it works? It should.

              73,
              Gary KN4AQ

              ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
              Gary Pearce KN4AQ
              508 Spencer Crest Ct.
              Cary, NC 27513
              kn4aq@...
              919-380-9944
              www.ARVideoNews.com

            • John Hays
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24 1:15 PM
                Provide his callsign so we can verify he is registered - you can check at http://query.ki4swy.org .  Make sure he has completed step 2 by creating terminals after he was confirmed as registered.  Make sure you have selected a repeater module, if it is "*" you cannot transmit.

                On Aug 24, 2010, at 8:57 AM, ki0la wrote:

                I am helping a ham set up his dongle using the "beta" version. we have the version showing that the devise is open, checked the audio level and cannot get the "ptt" to lite or function. What step are we missing to use the program. he has registered and received conformation on the local repeater and gateway. Thanks; Bob, ki0la

                __._,_._

                John D. Hays
                Amateur Radio Station K7VE
                PO Box 1223
                Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
                VOIP/SIP: john@...
              • Mark Krotz
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 24 1:45 PM
                  One other thing I can think of, is the callsign entered in the MYCALL
                  field on the dongle must be identical to one of the terminals created in
                  the second step of registration. For most people, that will be simply
                  their callsign. But many people create a terminal like "W1ABC D" or
                  "KB6XYZ P". The MYCALL entered needs to have an exact terminal created
                  for it.

                  Oh, and a terminal can't end with a symbol, like a hyphen ( - ).

                  Mark

                  > Unavailable PTT is a symptom of not being registered. You said he was,
                  > but there are a couple things to be aware of.
                  >
                  > If the registration is brand new (just today), it can take a few hours
                  > for that info to be propagated to the repeater and reflector system.
                  >
                  > And registration is a two-step process. Lots of people finish step
                  > one, and get an e-mail with instructions for step two, but never
                  > follow through on that.
                  >
                  > I can't think of any other dongle setup that you need to do. Have you
                  > tried entering your call (KI0LA) into the dongle to see if it works?
                  > It should.

                • Robert Sheets
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 24 4:54 PM
                    Thanks to all for the info. We were on the air today. The only thing I can think of ,is that his callsign had not made thur the system. 73, Bob,ki0la

                    To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                    From: mkrotz@...
                    Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:45:55 -0700
                    Subject: Re: [DVDongle] beta usage - PTT Not Available for new user