Re: [DVDongle] DVDongle with Ipod Touch

  • Chris Fowler
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010
      The only thing that can be developed for the iTouch, iPhone, iPad would
      be a client that uses a dongle server. As far as I know the USB ports
      on these devices do not operate in host mode. Only client mode.

      It would be neat to have a Dongle and/or DVAP that did not require a
      computer to operate. It could use 802.11g to connect to your network
      and then you could use a client or your radio to use it. This would add
      some considerable expense and complexity to the product.

      On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 12:03 +0000, ian_73wine wrote:

      > Greetings all.........
      >
      > Ok, I know I am going way out to left field here, but here we go...
      >
      > I currently have a Ipod Touch 3G. Am sure it is the 8GB variety.
      >
      > Believe it or not, it is my most powerful "computer". Is there a way
      > to attach the dvdongle to it, and then run a bluetooth headset?
      >
      > Anybody ever try something like this before?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > -Ian

    • John Hays
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010

        On Aug 23, 2010, at 5:03 AM, ian_73wine wrote:

        Greetings all.........

        Ok, I know I am going way out to left field here, but here we go...

        I currently have a Ipod Touch 3G. Am sure it is the 8GB variety.

        Believe it or not, it is my most powerful "computer". Is there a way to attach the dvdongle to it, and then run a bluetooth headset?

        No.  There are several messages in the group messages that discuss why it is not possible and why it is unlikely that such an integration will happen.

        Anybody ever try something like this before?

        Thanks in advance.

        -Ian

        John D. Hays
        Amateur Radio Station K7VE
        PO Box 1223
        Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
        VOIP/SIP: john@...
      • thebig_a_27
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23, 2010
          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "ian_73wine" <ian_73wine@...> wrote:

          > Greetings all.........
          >
          > Ok, I know I am going way out to left field here, but here we go...
          >
          > I currently have a Ipod Touch 3G. Am sure it is the 8GB variety.
          >
          > Believe it or not, it is my most powerful "computer". Is there a way to attach the dvdongle to it, and then run a bluetooth headset?
          >
          > Anybody ever try something like this before?
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > -Ian

          A less than $250 netbook will serve this role well, not to mention allowing you to do an awful lot of other things you cannot do on an ip[ao]d. Save your pennies :)