IPad Support Coming?

  • wt3g_ham
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 7 10:07 PM
      It should be possible to get a DVDongle running on an iPad - at least in theory. The iPad can hook the Dongle through the camera USB connector, or bluetooth (in a new version, which I WOULD buy). Mic and audio out are built in to the iPad. Maybe an app to go with it to interface to the Dongle (get the existing java code into an app.)

      Thoughts, anyone?

      Bill Williams WT3G
      -- sent from my iPad
    • thebig_a_27
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 8 7:44 AM
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wt3g_ham" <wt3g_ham@...> wrote:

        > It should be possible to get a DVDongle running on an iPad - at least in theory. The iPad can hook the Dongle through the camera USB connector, or bluetooth (in a new version, which I WOULD buy). Mic and audio out are built in to the iPad. Maybe an app to go with it to interface to the Dongle (get the existing java code into an app.)
        >
        > Thoughts, anyone?

        Java is not allowed on iThings. 3rd party drivers are also not allowed, although by jailbreaking you might be able to circumvent that. Basically, Apple's restrictions will make such a project much more work than it needs to be, if not impossible.

        > Bill Williams WT3G
        > -- sent from my iPad

      • John D. Hays
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 8 11:02 AM
          On 8/7/2010 10:07 PM, wt3g_ham wrote:

          It should be possible to get a DVDongle running on an iPad - at least in theory. The iPad can hook the Dongle through the camera USB connector, or bluetooth (in a new version, which I WOULD buy). Mic and audio out are built in to the iPad. Maybe an app to go with it to interface to the Dongle (get the existing java code into an app.)

          Thoughts, anyone?

          Bill Williams WT3G
          -- sent from my iPad

          Bill,

          Theory is about all you have for this project.  I have spoken to my son, KD7PRM, who is a professional iPhone/iPad developer. (http://iphone.donaldhays.com/maidenhead/ [free] & http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/esv-bible/id361797273?mt=8 [free] & http://www.thechurchapp.org/ & others)

          Here are the major challenges and this applies to the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch:

          1. There is no USB host on these devices.  The camera adapter for the iPad is an add-on device and may not be available to other applications.
          2. The bluetooth support has been historically poor except for earpiece peering. (My son wrote an early "Texas Holdem"  app that used bluetooth for multiplayer.)
          3. The real interface is either going to be through the dock port or wifi.  (Wifi would have greater applicability to other platforms.)
          4. The application would have to be written using Apple's tools (not Java, the current DV Dongle betas are not written in Java anyway) and distributed through the App Store.

          This is such a monumentally small market, there really isn't any reason for a developer to create it.  My son's maidenhead app, got probably fewer than a dozen purchases at ($1 to $2) and it is a really good application. (He changed it to free and got thousands of downloads, but that's not a big motivator to do very narrow market apps). So to get such an app written is probably going to require either someone who is into D-STAR and is an iPhone app developer who does it for herself and then makes it available for free or a group of users who want the app need to put up a bounty.  Then you have the hardware issues to solve and working with Robin to make sure you are 100% compatible with DPLUS.

          I have an iPhone, but I use a D-STAR radio for D-STAR.  I have a DV Dongle that I occasionally use for DPLUS connectivity, but very rarely (I am hoping to make it into a D-STAR attached autopatch at some point).   Professionally my developers develop for Linux/Java/Web using MacOS based laptops/desktops and we have access to an iPad or two.  The iPad is a good product, but it is not an open platform for development and so unless your application and hardware attachment has a broad appeal, its pretty painful to even think about extending it.
          --
          John D. Hays
          AmateurRadio Station K7VE

        • mike.willis@stfc.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9 5:42 AM

            I can’t imagine why – it has no USB port - it does not even have an SD card slot.

            --
            Scanned by iCritical.

          • Tony Langdon
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9 3:23 PM
              At 10:42 PM 8/9/2010, you wrote:

              >I can’t imagine why – it has no USB port - it
              >does not even have an SD card slot.

              Only way you could make an iPad work is to have a
              transcoding proxy that hosts a DV Dongle and acts
              as a relay between the iPad (or iPhone/iPod Touch) and the D-STAR network.

              It could be done, and might have its uses, if one
              is prepared to leave their PC running.

              I had done similar on my LAN using rtpDir running
              my Dongle on the desktop, so I could use Speak
              Freely on my netbook (which didn't like running
              the Dongle directly)to access DPlus. That was
              before rtpDir was pretty much kicked off the
              DPlus network. My system was setup so that it only worked on the LAN.

              Eventually, the hotspot rendered it totally obsolete. :)

              Two things the proxy idea would have over my
              experimental setup would be control of the link
              from the iPad (wasn't an issue in my case, since
              all I had to do was walk to the other room and
              drive the PC). Also, the data channel could be
              made accessible, either to the iPad app itself
              (hmm, compatible with D-RATS? :) ), or in the immediate vicinity using WiFi.

              73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
              http://vkradio.com
            • k6dpy
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
                Hi there,

                Make it for the iPhone instead of the iPad and that will solve the small market problem. Folks will use it in lieu of the HT. Maybe many more folks. With the faster processor iPhone 5 coming out this month, now may be the time to develop this app.

                Dan

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > into D-STAR and is an iPhone app developer who does it for herself and
                > then makes it available for free or a group of users who want the app
                > need to put up a bounty. Then you have the hardware issues to solve and
                > working with Robin to make sure you are 100% compatible with DPLUS.
                >
                > I have an iPhone, but I use a D-STAR radio for D-STAR. I have a DV
                > Dongle that I occasionally use for DPLUS connectivity, but very rarely
                > (I am hoping to make it into a D-STAR attached autopatch at some
                > point). Professionally my developers develop for Linux/Java/Web using
                > MacOS based laptops/desktops and we have access to an iPad or two. The
                > iPad is a good product, but it is not an open platform for development
                > and so unless your application and hardware attachment has a broad
                > appeal, its pretty painful to even think about extending it.

              • David Hubbell
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
                  Don't forget Droid market!
                  On 10/1/2011 12:11 PM, k6dpy wrote:

> [...]

                  > into D-STAR and is an iPhone app developer who does it for herself and
                  > then makes it available for free or a group of users who want the app
                  > need to put up a bounty. Then you have the hardware issues to solve and
                  > working with Robin to make sure you are 100% compatible with DPLUS.
                  >
                  > I have an iPhone, but I use a D-STAR radio for D-STAR. I have a DV
                  > Dongle that I occasionally use for DPLUS connectivity, but very rarely
                  > (I am hoping to make it into a D-STAR attached autopatch at some
                  > point). Professionally my developers develop for Linux/Java/Web using
                  > MacOS based laptops/desktops and we have access to an iPad or two. The
                  > iPad is a good product, but it is not an open platform for development
                  > and so unless your application and hardware attachment has a broad
                  > appeal, its pretty painful to even think about extending it.

                • thebig_a_27
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Here, here. There are more Android phones than iPhones already, and it's lead is growing daily. With Android being a more open platform without all the restrictions and limitations of the iThings, perhaps it would be easier for someone to create this app.