Re: DV tool 2b4

  • ntjock03
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
      see below for comments:

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "aa4rc" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

      > Hi Brian.
      >
      > Given that there is a PTT button for transmitting audio, I thought it was pretty straight forward that "mute" was for the speakers. It would not make sense to have a PTT button and mic mute button. When I release the 2.0 final, the docs will point out what it does.

      Please see my other post... testing sequence is:
      - fire up software
      - select open
      - select "local audio Loopback" (or equivalent label if I'm slightly misquoting)
      - talk and hear yourself without using PTT
      - click mute

      If it had required me to press PTT it probably would have made more sense.

      > As for registration, you must mean you registered with a local gateway in Texas. You cannot register directly with a trust server.

      I'm still learing D-Star terminology..... when my registration was not acted on for a week I tracked down the trustee and sent him a polite email. He referred me to an admin in Dallas and made note of a "local trust server" which I thought was odd, but who am I to challenge him on what he calls things in his system? :)

      > I do not show your call in the database. If you just registered today, give it a few hours to make it through the system. If you registered earlier, perhaps you did not complete the process. Make sure you have followed all of the steps at http://www.dstargateway.org including the registration of a terminal.

      I swear I completed the registration either on Friday or Saturday evening..... anyhow, I redid it this morning and we'll see if it "sticks".

      It would be nice if the DVTool made a check (which I'm sure it does some sort of user check) and returned a dialog box that said something along the lines of "I cannot locate your registration - please check that you have ... blah blah".

      My point in these suggestions is that I'm finding D-Star in general to be challenging. It shouldn't be. I'm also noticing that there is hardly ever anyone on D-Star in Houston, TX which is the 4th largest city in the US. That tells me that I'm not the only one who finds this a tad less than intuitive. My background is network administration, software development, and web development. If I'm finding it to be a head scratcher I can guarantee you that the average person who isn't well grounded in radio theory and computer logic will find it challenging as well. If we want to get more people involved we have go to take the sharp edges off of this technology. I doubt we can change the price (which is a sharp edge for many operators). I have something like $1200 into D-Star.... $1000 for an HT which is very nice, but there is never anyone on D-Star locally.... so I bought a Dongle. Seems inconsiderate to me to tie up a repeater connecting to a reflector just to rag chew. Of course, considering there is nobody on said repeater, would it be noticed? lol.

      However, it's critical that we make this easy enough for a 14 year old or a 80 year old to use who may know nothing more than "plug it in and click the DV Tool Icon."