DV tool 2b4

  • ntjock03
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 14, 2010
      Well, much nicer... works far better then DVTool 1.0

      WXP current on patches/update
      P4 (dual core) 3.21 Ghz, 2GB Ram, 1TB HDD.
      dual highspeed internet connections, GB ethernet, internet speed > 40MB in and greater then 5MB out.

      Found a minor bug.... "mute" doesn't.

      If you click "mute" and say something and unclick you will hear what you just said.

      Probably a minor logic issue.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2010
        Mute works with the audio to your speakers. Use PTT to start and stop talking.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 15, 2010
          Okay... that's a bit different..... I suppose in thinking about it that PTT "up" is the same as "mute" in radio parlance. Usually "Mute" on a phone stops outgoing audio...... I would suggest labeling it Speaker Mute or Audio Mute to make it more intuitive.

          When I launch the program it tells me "Login Succeeded, transmit not permitted". I am registered with the local trust server in Texas.
          any thoughts?

          Btw, I really like the dialog box in the background with the running log.... it would be nice to have some verbosity control as it gets a little busy sometimes, but it's nice being able to see the sequence of steps and should make troubleshooting easier. In contrast to v1.x it's a big leap forward. I can't even get v1.x to access the AMBE chip, whereas 2.0 will actually let me connect to the reflector and hear conversation.

          Cheers,
          Brian
          NQ5I

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2010
            Hi Brian.

            Given that there is a PTT button for transmitting audio, I thought it was pretty straight forward that "mute" was for the speakers. It would not make sense to have a PTT button and mic mute button. When I release the 2.0 final, the docs will point out what it does.

            As for registration, you must mean you registered with a local gateway in Texas. You cannot register directly with a trust server.

            I do not show your call in the database. If you just registered today, give it a few hours to make it through the system. If you registered earlier, perhaps you did not complete the process. Make sure you have followed all of the steps at http://www.dstargateway.org including the registration of a terminal.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "ntjock03" <nq5i@...> wrote:

            > Okay... that's a bit different..... I suppose in thinking about it that PTT "up" is the same as "mute" in radio parlance. Usually "Mute" on a phone stops outgoing audio...... I would suggest labeling it Speaker Mute or Audio Mute to make it more intuitive.
            >
            > When I launch the program it tells me "Login Succeeded, transmit not permitted". I am registered with the local trust server in Texas.
            > any thoughts?
            >
            > Btw, I really like the dialog box in the background with the running log.... it would be nice to have some verbosity control as it gets a little busy sometimes, but it's nice being able to see the sequence of steps and should make troubleshooting easier. In contrast to v1.x it's a big leap forward. I can't even get v1.x to access the AMBE chip, whereas 2.0 will actually let me connect to the reflector and hear conversation.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Brian
            > NQ5I
            >

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "aa4rc" <aa4rc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Mute works with the audio to your speakers. Use PTT to start and stop talking.

            > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "ntjock03" <nq5i@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Well, much nicer... works far better then DVTool 1.0
            > > >
            > > > WXP current on patches/update
            > > > P4 (dual core) 3.21 Ghz, 2GB Ram, 1TB HDD.
            > > > dual highspeed internet connections, GB ethernet, internet speed > 40MB in and greater then 5MB out.
            > > >
            > > > Found a minor bug.... "mute" doesn't.
            > > >
            > > > If you click "mute" and say something and unclick you will hear what you just said.
            > > >
            > > > Probably a minor logic issue.

          • John Hays
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2010

              On Jul 15, 2010, at 6:51 AM, ntjock03 wrote:

              When I launch the program it tells me "Login Succeeded, transmit not permitted". I am registered with the local trust server in Texas.
              any thoughts?

              http://query.ki4swy.org shows that you have registered at N5HDS, but that you haven't created any terminals.  You need to go back to N5HDS and register a terminal (preferably one with a space, e.g. hit the space bar, in the "initial" field).  Until you have a terminal you will not be able to send out from the DV-Dongle.  It takes some time for your terminal creation to propagate so allow a couple of hours for everything to sync up.

              John D. Hays
              Amateur Radio Station K7VE
              PO Box 1223
              Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
              VOIP/SIP: john@...
            • Brian Naylor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 15, 2010
                You need to log back in where you registered and complete the registration process. I checked and it shows you as registered but no terminal has been set up.
                 Brian
                KF4IRC

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
                  Hmmm, highly irritating. I know for a fact I configured a terminal over the last weekend. Thank you for pointing that out. As you suggested, there are no terminals presently registered. I created 4 of them.

                  I also observed that a dplus interface is now present for N5HDS whereas before there was not.... so I'm going to hazard a guess that a maintenance "event" interefered with the data.... in which case no big deal.

                  -Brian
                  NQ5I

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
                    As I said before, I'm accustomed to "mute" being for the mic..... When I put my "radio" hat on, your point of view makes sense...... If you recall however, I was testing the software in local loopback mode, so I was surprised when audio went out without pushing PTT and with mute engaged.

                    Perhaps the inverse selection makes more sense of requiring the PTT to be engaged to "capture" audio input even when doing testing in local loopback.

                    However, I still think some clarification of the GUI will prevent other folks who are new to the software from having the same issue. My point is simply that consistancy is key.

                    You could easily modify the label (or whatever your programming software calls the descriptor for the action object) to include a miniature speaker, which would again, make it more intuitive.

                    The easier the software is to use, the more people will use it.

                    RTFM is ordinarily the last course of action in salvaging a bad user experience with a given piece of software. The manager for Web Services @ Amazon.com had a interesting ruler of usability. He stated in a talk that the iPhone was intuitive because nobody ever needed to read a manual to use it. I think that is the gold standard.

                    73,

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 16, 2010
                      see below for comments:

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "aa4rc" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Brian.
                      >
                      > Given that there is a PTT button for transmitting audio, I thought it was pretty straight forward that "mute" was for the speakers. It would not make sense to have a PTT button and mic mute button. When I release the 2.0 final, the docs will point out what it does.

                      Please see my other post... testing sequence is:
                      - fire up software
                      - select open
                      - select "local audio Loopback" (or equivalent label if I'm slightly misquoting)
                      - talk and hear yourself without using PTT
                      - click mute

                      If it had required me to press PTT it probably would have made more sense.

                      > As for registration, you must mean you registered with a local gateway in Texas. You cannot register directly with a trust server.

                      I'm still learing D-Star terminology..... when my registration was not acted on for a week I tracked down the trustee and sent him a polite email. He referred me to an admin in Dallas and made note of a "local trust server" which I thought was odd, but who am I to challenge him on what he calls things in his system? :)

                      > I do not show your call in the database. If you just registered today, give it a few hours to make it through the system. If you registered earlier, perhaps you did not complete the process. Make sure you have followed all of the steps at http://www.dstargateway.org including the registration of a terminal.

                      I swear I completed the registration either on Friday or Saturday evening..... anyhow, I redid it this morning and we'll see if it "sticks".

                      It would be nice if the DVTool made a check (which I'm sure it does some sort of user check) and returned a dialog box that said something along the lines of "I cannot locate your registration - please check that you have ... blah blah".

                      My point in these suggestions is that I'm finding D-Star in general to be challenging. It shouldn't be. I'm also noticing that there is hardly ever anyone on D-Star in Houston, TX which is the 4th largest city in the US. That tells me that I'm not the only one who finds this a tad less than intuitive. My background is network administration, software development, and web development. If I'm finding it to be a head scratcher I can guarantee you that the average person who isn't well grounded in radio theory and computer logic will find it challenging as well. If we want to get more people involved we have go to take the sharp edges off of this technology. I doubt we can change the price (which is a sharp edge for many operators). I have something like $1200 into D-Star.... $1000 for an HT which is very nice, but there is never anyone on D-Star locally.... so I bought a Dongle. Seems inconsiderate to me to tie up a repeater connecting to a reflector just to rag chew. Of course, considering there is nobody on said repeater, would it be noticed? lol.

                      However, it's critical that we make this easy enough for a 14 year old or a 80 year old to use who may know nothing more than "plug it in and click the DV Tool Icon."