Re: [DVDongle] Looking into D-STAR, like what I see with the DV Dongle

  • David Kaplan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2010
      Jeff,

      There have been some really good posts and great points of view. As someone who has just gotten back into Ham Radio and really am embracing D-STAR I think I will throw in my 2 cents.

      I have a DV Dongle a 92-AD and recently purchased an ID-880H.

      I have had some great Elmers and I am really enjoying D-STAR on all of the above.

      I purchased the 92-AD (my first foray into D-STAR) because I wanted something portable that would be D-STAR ready and rugged..

      A few months later I was visiting my parents and realized there was no D-STAR repeater within range ..  I picked up the DV Dongle, as long as I have Internet and the DV Dongle I can be on the air on D-STAR, and I even have heard a Ham on the air, mobile on a DV Dongle on a laptop w an air card.

      A while later as I was driving I realized I really wanted a D-STAR Radio that had a remote head for the car so I picked up a ID-880H..

      They all have there place all are great fun ... I hope to get a Mini-Hotspot or a D-VAP down the road so I can use my HT and not be in my shack the whole time.

      At any rate just my 2 cents.

      --
      Thank you,

      David A. Kaplan, KJ6GLX

      Internet Email:  dkaplan2005@...

      No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

      On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM, edmontonfireradio <EdmontonFireRadio@...> wrote:

      Hello, everyone.

      I am looking into getting into D-STAR and am really impressed with the DV Dongle. One of the main advantages that I can see is that I can play around on D-STAR as much as I would like and not tie up the local repeater with traffic that no one else may be interested in.

      One question I have that I can't seem to find an answer for is does the DV Dongle allow for callsign routing from RF? For example, if someone tries to call me on the local repeater, will the gateway automatically route the call to the DV Dongle? Or does routing only work radio to radio?

      Thank you for the help,

      Jeff VE6EFR
      Edmonton Fire Radio
      http://www.edmontonfireradio.com