Re: [DVDongle] Re: Looking into D-STAR, like what I see with the DV Dongle

  • John Hays
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12 3:24 PM
      On Jul 12, 2010, at 3:00 PM, aa4rc wrote:

      I would modify John's statement about no significant feature advantages.

      The key word is "significant" :)

      The DVTool software allows you to monitor all of the modules on a gateway concurrently. This has come in very handy for admin monitoring. You would have to have two or three radios to do the same via RF.

      True.  (Though can you truly monitor 3 audio streams at the same time, or can you just monitor 3 and one wins?)

      Also, DVTool allows you to monitor the remote gateway before keying up. You cannot do that with the G2 software alone.

      I see that as a DPLUS function, that the DVDongle inherits.  If you link on DPLUS, you have the same feature from a radio.

      Also, DVTool allows you to see the status of the remote gateway/reflector (including linked modules, connected users, and last heard). Also, DVTool allows you to keep the history of all users as they key up. That is very useful for nets.

      Its a feature, yes.  The information is also largely available over the Internet without the Dongle.  You can also keep a history on D-STAR radios, especially if they are like the 91AD and have a control program that records the data or you are using another program like D-RATS.

      Also... :)

      Please understand I am not "poo pooing" your product, it has its place and you have done a great job.  My process in answering this question was, if you are given the choice of buying a radio OR a DVDongle and you have the ability to talk to other people over RF, I would suggest the radio is the better choice.  Since DPLUS is almost universal on gateways, I don't see the features it provides to the DVDongle as being something it doesn't offer to the radio user.

      Conversely, the DVDongle/DPLUS cannot do callsign routing or talk to FM repeaters.  Obviously the DVAP can address the latter (FM Repeaters) with software updates.

      John D. Hays
      Amateur Radio Station K7VE
      PO Box 1223
      Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
      VOIP/SIP: john@...
    • Tony Langdon
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 12 3:49 PM
        At 06:39 AM 7/13/2010, you wrote:

        >I have a DVDongle, and use it when a situation warrants but get much
        >more use out of radios.

        That's about my usage pattern as well. However, right now is one of
        those times where the DV Dongle is the most practical solution, with
        all of my antennas currently down.

        73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
        http://vkradio.com
      • paul glassman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 12 4:04 PM
          Jeff,
              A 2820, 92ad, 91ad etc will key up a local repeater and access the gateway if the repeater is connected to the gateway. You are limited to the specific repeaters in your area that access the gateway for d-star beyond local one on one conversation. If you need the ability to have d-star in your car, or ht d-star, then you need the "radio". I am satisfied to access any repeater in the world on the gateway through my computer. I can also access the gateway while traveling through wifi, in my hotel, and anywhere wifi exists.
             If you have one repeater on the gateway in your area, then your rig is limited to that one gateway. If you have a dongle, you can access any repeater in the world on the gateway, module a,b,or c. If I specifically want to talk with the guys at HRO, R and L or k8big in Cincinnati (or any other repeater in the world), I can pull up their specific repeater with the dongle. Cant do that with the rig.
                                                     73  Paul w8jn

          Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
          si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 12 4:23 PM

            On Jul 12, 2010, at 4:04 PM, paul glassman wrote:

               If you have one repeater on the gateway in your area, then your rig is limited to that one gateway. If you have a dongle, you can access any repeater in the world on the gateway, module a,b,or c. If I specifically want to talk with the guys at HRO, R and L or k8big in Cincinnati (or any other repeater in the world), I can pull up their specific repeater with the dongle. Cant do that with the rig.
                                                       73  Paul w8jn

            Yes -- if you are in range of a repeater with a gateway (and DPLUS) or a Hotspot or a DVAP.

            UR:  xxxxxxxU  (Key up and unlink any current link)
            UR: K8BIG.BL (the period is a space -- to link it to the B module on K8BIG)
            UR: CQCQCQ (to converse)

            or using callsign routing on any repeater with a gateway, no DPLUS needed.

            UR: /K8BIG.B  (just talk)

            or better yet, to talk to your buddy KZ8HAM regardless of what repeater he is on, you don't need to know, using callsign routing

            UR: KZ8HAM (just talk)

            Just have to know how to use your radio.  The Dongle is great in a hotel room or other place where you don't have real radio access :)

            John D. Hays
            Amateur Radio Station K7VE
            PO Box 1223
            Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
            VOIP/SIP: john@...
          • David Kaplan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 12 10:05 PM
              Jeff,

              There have been some really good posts and great points of view. As someone who has just gotten back into Ham Radio and really am embracing D-STAR I think I will throw in my 2 cents.

              I have a DV Dongle a 92-AD and recently purchased an ID-880H.

              I have had some great Elmers and I am really enjoying D-STAR on all of the above.

              I purchased the 92-AD (my first foray into D-STAR) because I wanted something portable that would be D-STAR ready and rugged..

              A few months later I was visiting my parents and realized there was no D-STAR repeater within range ..  I picked up the DV Dongle, as long as I have Internet and the DV Dongle I can be on the air on D-STAR, and I even have heard a Ham on the air, mobile on a DV Dongle on a laptop w an air card.

              A while later as I was driving I realized I really wanted a D-STAR Radio that had a remote head for the car so I picked up a ID-880H..

              They all have there place all are great fun ... I hope to get a Mini-Hotspot or a D-VAP down the road so I can use my HT and not be in my shack the whole time.

              At any rate just my 2 cents.

              --
              Thank you,

              David A. Kaplan, KJ6GLX

              Internet Email:  dkaplan2005@...

              No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

              On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM, edmontonfireradio <EdmontonFireRadio@...> wrote:

              Hello, everyone.

              I am looking into getting into D-STAR and am really impressed with the DV Dongle. One of the main advantages that I can see is that I can play around on D-STAR as much as I would like and not tie up the local repeater with traffic that no one else may be interested in.

              One question I have that I can't seem to find an answer for is does the DV Dongle allow for callsign routing from RF? For example, if someone tries to call me on the local repeater, will the gateway automatically route the call to the DV Dongle? Or does routing only work radio to radio?

              Thank you for the help,

              Jeff VE6EFR
              Edmonton Fire Radio
              http://www.edmontonfireradio.com