DVTool2.0beta4.exe routinely crashing on my PC

  • kb4t_ham_radio
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
      It's beta software so I imagine someone wants these reports. I presume that someone is AA4RC.

      I received a DV Dongle Friday, July 2. Installed without incident or issue on my netbook where it works well and fairly consistently.

      Brought the Dongle home and installed on my desktop PC and see crashes routinely. Not sure yet what on the PC is causing the crashes and would like some help trying to figure that out.

      The PC:
      Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHZ, 2 GB RAM
      MS Windows XP Home Version 2002 SP3
      MS Security Essentials for Virus, Firewall and Spyware
      ZoneAlarm is also run but problems occur even without ZoneAlarm.
      High Speed Broadband Cable Modem connection to the Internet. (

      (Interestingly DVTool works fairly reliably using my ATT Blackberry tethered to my Netbook using the cellular data network for an Internet connection.)

      Using DVTool2.0beta4 downloaded from the OpenDStar.org FTP site.

      Started with October 2009 FTDI drivers built into the OS. Upgraded to the March 2010 version of the FTDI drivers but problems persist.

      Not much running in the system tray. Used MSCONFIG to cull out as much unneeded stuff as possible and still be able to use everything else that works well.

      DVTool routinely crashes when I attempt to TRANSMIT on most gateway connections either to a reflector or the local gateway.

      Suggestions on where to look?

      Thanks! 73, Frank KB4T - Florida
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
        Hi Frank. When it "crashes", what happens? Does it go away completely or do you get an error report?

        I would try downloading the program again just to make sure that the executable was not corrupted.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
          Hello Robin:

          Thanks for the prompt response.

          The crash occurs when I attempt to transmit. In most cases, I am successful at actually keying up whatever I'm connected to and can be heard on the air. When the crash occurs, transmitting actually continues until I click CLOSE in the Microsoft Windows "THIS PROGRAM HAS EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM AND MUST BE CLOSED" window that appears giving me the opportunity to DEBUG or CLOSE.

          I've looked at the Event Viewer but don't see any useful info. It reports that the .exe is the module that has failed.

          Interestingly, the problem is somewhat intermittent in that I can restart DVTool and operate successfully for an indefinite period. Once successful operation can be had, it tends to continue to work OK for a fairly long time. The crashes tend to occur when first booting the PC and first running DVT.

          I did have some success increasing good ops by shutting down ZoneAlarm and turning off AtomTimePro. AtomTimePro tinkers with the appearance of the clock in the system tray.

          However, these behaviors are not repeatable. That is, crashes will occur even with ZoneAlarm and ATP disabled. So there is still something amiss.

          Hope this helps.

          73, Frank KB4T in Florida

          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "aa4rc" <aa4rc@...> wrote:

          > Hi Frank. When it "crashes", what happens? Does it go away completely or do you get an error report?
          >
          > I would try downloading the program again just to make sure that the executable was not corrupted.

        • Chuck Houser
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
            Happy 4th ... I had problems also, but ended up being my AT&T Uverse Modem/Router ...After doing a complete reboot of Modem/Router (push button on back side-takes about 7 min to finish) all my problems went away.

            Hope you find your problem and do follow Robins comments.

            73's

            Chuck

            WB8WHN

          • kb4t_ham_radio
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
              Haven't seen anything from Robin in a few days after I replied to his request for additional detail related to my "crash report."

              In the days since I first wrote, DVTool-2.0beta4 continues to behave reliably on my ASUS netbook. On the desktop PC, DVT will crash from time to time a few seconds after I start to transmit. A restart of the DVT gets things going again and operations will work reliably for an indefinite period before the next crash on transmit.

              I wonder if the crash on transmit is related in some way to the RealTek sound electronics built into the ASUS motherboard in the PC? Perhaps DVT crashes because it occasionally loses its ability to work with the sound driver?

              The intermittent nature of the crashes leads me to believe that DVT may be getting hit by some other process running on the PC if it's not a "sound card" issue.

              Still hoping someone here can suggest something proactive to do to minimize or eliminate the DVT crashes.

              Thanks & 73, Frank KB4T in Florida
            • frank_n9gqr
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
                Frank, I had a similar problem with my ASUS laptop. After using the
                laptop for a week, I solved the crashes. They has switched to RealTek and
                still had the Creative drivers installed as well. I went into add/remove
                programs, removed the Creative Labs files and never had another problem.
                I'm not sure if this will help you or not but it was my solution.