Re: [DVDongle] Re: post-Dayton syndrome fix

  • K Bijl
    Message 1 of 11 , May 22, 2010
      Ho Robin,

      I am using the dvtool 2.0beta4

      It is nice to see the following features

      recording what people sending-transmitting
      direct connection with the ip nr ....(let say 83.83.23.223 its mij ip)
      i file so i can see with hams are qrv
      more then 1 connection at the same time (a sort of conference qso)
      direct routing to a callsign

      The importent is the direct routing to a callsign

      Tnx an have a nice weekend !

      PA3AGN

    • mike.willis@stfc.ac.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , May 23, 2010

        The software is well featured and since the new beta works well on a netbook.

        New features – ability to listen to more than one channel at a time, even if only one is decoded.  A Dstar scanner if you like.

        Some integration with the activity lists – so you don’t need to swap to a web browser to see what reflectors/repeaters are active.

        Callsign database – so when someone calls I don’t have to be embarrassed by having forgotten their callsign/name association AA4RC=Pieter – oops I mean Robin. See what I mean?

        Mike

        --
        Scanned by iCritical.

      • Chris Fowler
        Message 3 of 11 , May 23, 2010
          I can only think of two enhancements myself.

          1) Better integration with Pulse under Linux. I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 and I
          did have to go through some hoops to get it working. On my Toshiba
          laptop I had to remove Pulse. I've not loaded 10.04 but my guess is
          that more Pulse bugs have been worked out and Pulse is here to stay.

          2) Audio monitor.

          It drives me crazy to have to fiddle with the volume knob on my ID-880
          while driving because some dongle user has his mic set to too low while
          another has his too hot. I know that the instructions say to do an
          audio playback but most people skip that part. My suggestion is to
          analyze the audio level and not allow TX until it is set to a reasonable
          level. I talked to Robin about possibly normalizing all audio from
          dongles at dplus but there is no audio stream at that point. It is just
          bits. I've thought about solving this problem on my own by building a
          device that takes the audio from my 880 and keeps it at a specific
          level. Even in Dayton I ran into some dongle user that has his mic too
          low and I had to turn my 91AD up all the way. I then get blasted by the
          next guy. This is a feature best left to Echolink!!!

          On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 15:21 +0100, mike.willis@... wrote:

          > The software is well featured and since the new beta works well on a
          > netbook.
          >

          > New features – ability to listen to more than one channel at a time,
          > even if only one is decoded. A Dstar scanner if you like.
          >
          > Some integration with the activity lists – so you don’t need to swap
          > to a web browser to see what reflectors/repeaters are active.
          >
          > Callsign database – so when someone calls I don’t have to be
          > embarrassed by having forgotten their callsign/name association
          > AA4RC=Pieter – oops I mean Robin. See what I mean?
          >

          > Mike
          >

          > --
          > Scanned by iCritical.

        • Mark Krotz
          Message 4 of 11 , May 23, 2010
            Chris Fowler wrote:

            > 2) Audio monitor.
            >
            > It drives me crazy to have to fiddle with the volume knob on my ID-880
            > while driving because some dongle user has his mic set to too low while
            > another has his too hot. I know that the instructions say to do an
            > audio playback but most people skip that part. My suggestion is to
            > analyze the audio level and not allow TX until it is set to a reasonable
            > level. I talked to Robin about possibly normalizing all audio from
            > dongles at dplus but there is no audio stream at that point. It is just
            > bits. I've thought about solving this problem on my own by building a
            > device that takes the audio from my 880 and keeps it at a specific
            > level. Even in Dayton I ran into some dongle user that has his mic too
            > low and I had to turn my 91AD up all the way. I then get blasted by the
            > next guy. This is a feature best left to Echolink!!!

            I would venture a guess that setting audio level never crosses the mind of many dongle users. They are "appliance operators" and just like they want to plug their radio in and go (without worrying about matching their antenna or such), they want to plug the dongle in and go as well.

            It's OK if you are talking to one person, and only one, and no one else is listening. But that is rarely the case. If you are listening to such a QSO, the dongle user has weak audio, and if you turn up your radio to listen, and then the radio user he is talking to transmits, they blow you out.

            But I hear that between two radio users often as well.

            It would be nice if there were some way to have a VU type indicator on the DVTool screen, so that you could tell visually how well the audio drive was, even if you had to elicit the loopback to make it work.

            Mark
          • ki4umx
            Message 5 of 11 , May 24, 2010
              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Chris Fowler <linxdev@...> wrote:

              > 2) Audio monitor.
              >
              > It drives me crazy to have to fiddle with the volume knob on my ID-880
              > while driving because some dongle user has his mic set to too low while
              > another has his too hot. I've thought about solving this problem on my own by building a
              > device that takes the audio from my 880 and keeps it at a specific
              > level.

              Hi Chris,

              I could use a gadget like that for my FT-8800. When I have my volume set to hear everyone else, this one LID comes in so loud he threatens to blow out my speakers. His excuse? He has it set for "best voice quality" and refuses to turn down to a normal level!

              Hank-KI4UMX
            • Chris Fowler
              Message 6 of 11 , May 24, 2010
                This would be a cool feature of the dongle and dvap software:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_Control_Protocol

                A few years ago QoS statistics were calculated by "tapping the wire".
                Now most PBX vendors have implemented RTCP. The endpoints calculate
                loss statistics their self instead of relying on a 3rd party
                application.

                Both the DVAP and Dongle could use this idea to report to the user
                jitter, latency, packet loss and even and overall "MOS" score.

                This would help the dongle user or dvap user understand on their own
                that they are having an issue.

                I remember back in the Winter talking to a guy whose audio kept going in
                and out. He rebooted and all was fine. Apparently some Windows XP
                process was running in the background that was effecting the dongle in
                some way. For those talking to him this was a bit annoying.

                On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 22:33 -0700, Mark Krotz wrote:

                > Chris Fowler wrote:
                > >
                > > 2) Audio monitor.
                > >
                > > It drives me crazy to have to fiddle with the volume knob on my
                > ID-880
                > > while driving because some dongle user has his mic set to too low
                > while
                > > another has his too hot. I know that the instructions say to do an
                > > audio playback but most people skip that part. My suggestion is to
                > > analyze the audio level and not allow TX until it is set to a
                > reasonable
                > > level. I talked to Robin about possibly normalizing all audio from
                > > dongles at dplus but there is no audio stream at that point. It is
                > just
                > > bits. I've thought about solving this problem on my own by building
                > > device that takes the audio from my 880 and keeps it at a specific
                > > level. Even in Dayton I ran into some dongle user that has his mic
                > too
                > > low and I had to turn my 91AD up all the way. I then get blasted by
                > the
                > > next guy. This is a feature best left to Echolink!!!
                >
                > I would venture a guess that setting audio level never crosses the
                > mind of many dongle users. They are "appliance operators" and just
                > like they want to plug their radio in and go (without worrying about
                > matching their antenna or such), they want to plug the dongle in and
                > go as well.
                >
                > It's OK if you are talking to one person, and only one, and no one
                > else is listening. But that is rarely the case. If you are listening
                > to such a QSO, the dongle user has weak audio, and if you turn up your
                > radio to listen, and then the radio user he is talking to transmits,
                > they blow you out.
                >
                > But I hear that between two radio users often as well.
                >
                > It would be nice if there were some way to have a VU type indicator on
                > the DVTool screen, so that you could tell visually how well the audio
                > drive was, even if you had to elicit the loopback to make it work.
                >
                > Mark

              • Nate Duehr
                Message 7 of 11 , May 26, 2010
                  On May 24, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:

                  > This would be a cool feature of the dongle and dvap software:
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_Control_Protocol
                  >
                  > A few years ago QoS statistics were calculated by "tapping the wire".
                  > Now most PBX vendors have implemented RTCP. The endpoints calculate
                  > loss statistics their self instead of relying on a 3rd party
                  > application.

                  Hey, I hear an echo in here! :-)

                  RTCP to be useful for the end-user has to be implemented at the Gateway server in D-PLUS. (D-PLUS measures the packet loss, etc... sends the statistics back to the Dongle/DVAP.)

                  RTCP for the Gateway would be the other way around, and just as useful... in the D-PLUS logs. But a bit harder to implement since you'd need some sane way to display all that data in real-time when 20+ stations were connected. Cramming that into 80 col/24 lines might be a bit much.

                  Interestingly many firewalls block RTCP at my day job (videoconferencing), so while the conferencing bridge receives the audio and video streams just fine, the RTCP monitor is all 0's... but firewalls are generally brain-dead about H.323 anyway until you get to a certain price-point/quality level of firewall, or you buy a firewall specifically designed to pass it.

                  (H.323 is annoying in that you have to open up the data passing in the control channel and read it to see what other ports to open inbound and outbound at the firewall. Only a packet-inspection firewall can do it. Thus, the gaining popularity of video SIP which can be proxied properly through a relatively simple SIP Proxy.)

                  --
                  Nate Duehr, WY0X
                  nate@...

                  facebook.com/denverpilot