MP3/WAV to .dvtool

  • michaelcarey69
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
      Hi Everybody,
      Is there some kind of utility software out there that uses the AMBE chip in the DV Dongle to transform a MP3 or WAV file to a .dvtool file? I want to use some professional voice talent to make some identification files, but these would be sent to me in 256k MP3 format. It's a bit painful setting up a D-Star radio to transmit these MP3 files from a PC so that the DVTool software can then capture the DV stream to make a .dvtool file.
      Michael.
      VK5ZEA
    • Chris Fowler
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2010
        On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 06:21 +0000, michaelcarey69 wrote:
        > I want to use some professional voice talent

        Allison Smith? a.k.a IVR Allison
      • Mark Krotz
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2010
          michaelcarey69 wrote:
          > Hi Everybody,
          > Is there some kind of utility software out there that uses the AMBE chip in the DV Dongle to transform a MP3 or WAV file to a .dvtool file? I want to use some professional voice talent to make some identification files, but these would be sent to me in 256k MP3 format. It's a bit painful setting up a D-Star radio to transmit these MP3 files from a PC so that the DVTool software can then capture the DV stream to make a .dvtool file.
          > Michael.
          > VK5ZEA

          Sure. With the DV Tool open, select the Utilities tab, and use 'record to file'. Use the devices tab to select the source audio. Use your computer sound manager to set levels. You'll have to experiment a little getting the levels right, and it can be a little tricky getting the timing right, so that you don't have 'dead air time' gaps at the beginning or end of the recording.

        • John Hays
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2010
            File conversion is the right way to do this -- but I have had trouble finding someone with a DV Dongle package that sees the value.  I too would like a wav/mp3 to .dvtool (and reverse) tool.  I would particularly like a command line version so that it can be put into scripts for batch conversions.  The command line should also allow you to set callsigns, GPS, and 20 char message text.

            Example, my club would like a nice "voice ID" on the repeater.  I could record it and get it just right under a tool like Audacity and save it as a .wav file, then:

            wav2ambe  -infile=id.wav -outfile=id.dvtool -mycall="K7LWH" -mycomment="RPTR" -urcall="CQCQCQ" -rpt1call="DIRECT" -rpt2call="" -message="Club meets 2nd Sat" -lon="47.1234" -lat="-122.18419"

            load id.dvtool to the gateway and good to go.

            Or could create a script to work through a bunch of files in a directory ....

            On Apr 27, 2010, at 6:04 AM, Mark Krotz wrote:

            michaelcarey69 wrote:
            > Hi Everybody,
            > Is there some kind of utility software out there that uses the AMBE chip in the DV Dongle to transform a MP3 or WAV file to a .dvtool file? I want to use some professional voice talent to make some identification files, but these would be sent to me in 256k MP3 format. It's a bit painful setting up a D-Star radio to transmit these MP3 files from a PC so that the DVTool software can then capture the DV stream to make a .dvtool file.
            > Michael.
            > VK5ZEA

            Sure. With the DV Tool open, select the Utilities tab, and use 'record to file'. Use the devices tab to select the source audio. Use your computer sound manager to set levels. You'll have to experiment a little getting the levels right, and it can be a little tricky getting the timing right, so that you don't have 'dead air time' gaps at the beginning or end of the recording.

            John D. Hays
            Amateur Radio Station K7VE
            PO Box 1223
            Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
            VOIP/SIP: john@...
            Phone: 206-801-0820
            801-790-0950
            Email: john@...

          • Dr. Joeseph Mesh
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 27, 2010

            ???   Just use the DV Dongle software....   I do this all the time.  K8LCD has many announcements in voice as well as on the text line.    Robin has given us all of this.   See the voice examples attached...

            Thanks…Joe / W8SS / Mesh Engineering / 810-629-5500
            AKA: Dr. Joe Mesh, D.M.D., C.A.G.S. (Prosthodontics)
            from beautiful downtown HELL, Michigan
            Always available at:   info@...
            See us on the Web at:    drsmesh.com

            PLEASE NOTE:  HIPAA compliance statement of 04/14/2003:
            "Electronic mail is not secure, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues"

            michaelcarey69 wrote:
            > Hi Everybody,
            > Is there some kind of utility software out there that uses the AMBE chip in the DV Dongle to transform a MP3 or WAV file to a .dvtool file? I want to use some professional voice talent to make some identification files, but these would be sent to me in 256k MP3 format. It's a bit painful setting up a D-Star radio to transmit these MP3 files from a PC so that the DVTool software can then capture the DV stream to make a .dvtool file.
            > Michael.
            > VK5ZEA

            Sure. With the DV Tool open, select the Utilities tab, and use 'record to file'. Use the devices tab to select the source audio. Use your computer sound manager to set levels. You'll have to experiment a little getting the levels right, and it can be a little tricky getting the timing right, so that you don't have 'dead air time' gaps at the beginning or end of the recording.

            John D. Hays
            Amateur Radio Station K7VE
            PO Box 1223
            Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

            VOIP/SIP: john@...
            Phone: 206-801-0820
            801-790-0950
            Email: john@...

          • Mark Phillips
            Message 6 of 7 , Apr 28, 2010
              Well, yes and no.

              Yes you could record a DV file via the DVtool app but its really
              unweidly and prone to all sorts of human error.

              I'm with John Hayes on this. Being in the Voice Talent game myself I too
              would like to see a tool that'll convert from a WAV or MP3. At least
              this way one can create very imaginative audio files.

              Indeed it could be used to convert the ARRL audio news every week.

              Now if only we could get past the 3 minute timeout thing ....

              Message 7 of 7 , Apr 28, 2010
                Alison Kennan? Aka IVR Alison what speaks proper English not like that
                Canadian woman who does impersonations.