Re: dongle problems with macbook

  • kg9bo
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 18, 2010
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, lj38spcl@... wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I am running the latest version of dv tool on a macbook.Occasionally the ptt button stays on and freezes up the computer.The only way to get it back up running is to manually turn the mac off and reboot.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      >

      > 73,Larry K4EB

      Hello All,

      I am responding to Larry's thread because I have something similar but not his exact problems. I actually am likely using the same equipment here, a Macbook that probably only one model off the "latest" (2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, etc). I am getting extremely erratic performance with the DVTool versions (2.0beta2 and 1.5). On occasion, the dongle drops audio from the reflector. Sometimes, the device seems to "drift" off, getting the trickling green light on it. And, I have had rare occasions where it freezes as well. Its sometimes a rare conditions where it hangs on to a connection when I am listening to a reflector. I am well aware that the Macbook can handle this and I don't even have much on the laptop that would cause it to slow down or reduce performance which could be a problem for this. The only thing I have running when this is going is a iStat menu bar (see laptop stats) and that is it. This program hardly takes any CPU/memory out of the laptop either.

      It only "seems" to be the Mac version as my dad has a Dongle with a slower Toshiba laptop running Windows XP and he runs beta2.04 and has no problems. I have yet to, but would be curious to see if Linux would work better with this dongle.

      Any suggestions and/or help will be absolutely appreciated.

      Thanks.

      73
      Josh, AB9FT
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2010
        Hi Larry. Apple recently came out with an update to Snow Leopard that supposedly fixed some USB stability issues. If you have not already updated, you might try it to see if it makes a difference for you.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, lj38spcl@... wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am running the latest version of dv tool on a macbook.Occasionally the ptt button stays on and freezes up the computer.The only way to get it back up running is to manually turn the mac off and reboot.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        >

        > 73,Larry K4EB

      • Larry Junstrom
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2010
          Tnx robin. Am using macosx previous to snow leopard I am pretty sure
          I have the latest version of that .
          I have a newer machine with snow leopard. Will try that when I get
          home in a few days

          73 k4eb

          Sent from my iPhone