Re: [DVDongle] Hello from KB1RBF

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2010
      Hi Gene,

      Are you running the latest DVtool-2.0 beta4,???
      if not download the file and put it on your desktop, in windows you just doubleclick the exe file and it launches, no need to install  anywhere, your ftdi chipset drivers etc should all be present as you said you were already setup on the dvdongle, i think you will see a lot more on your screen than the original dvtool which was java based.

       if you do not already have the latest setup then you can download it from here

      http://www.opendstar.org/tools/

      hope that helps, maybe see you on the dvtool screen

      73's  Paul GM1FNX

      On 14 April 2010 01:00, Gene <wick0001@...> wrote:

      Hello all,
      I just want ed to introduce myself.
      I've been on D-Star for about a month now on a 92AD and I just got a DV Dongle. I'm using DVTool for my software. It seems pretty straight forward but it seems a bit limited. I know that the dongle is limited as opposed to a dedicated D-Star radio but does anyone know of any other software out there for the Dongle that increases flexibility?
      Sorry if this question has been addressed before. As I said, I'm brand new (enjoying the hell out of D-Star. Just made a contact with Japan last week! VERY cool!). BUT still learning.
      Any help advice or critiques are very welcome.
      73's!
      Gene KB1RBF

    • Gene Wichmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2010
        Hi James!
          Thank you very much for the info.  MUCH appreciated.
        I am using the 2.0 Beta4.exe version.
        As for G2.  I'm honestly not familiar with that.  What is is it?
        I'm just using basic D-Star radio to radio and the repeaters and reflectors.
        I'm still amazed and thrilled that I can hit anywhere from local stations to Germany to Japan, etc with a 5W HT.  I'm still monitoring on HF to learn my way around, but D-Star is fantastic.  Especially for an aging techno-geek like me.  LOL!
        73's!

        Gene KB1RBF

        The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you are running the latest version, DVTool2.0beta4. exe (for us Window users) found at
        http://www.opendstar.org/tools/

        If you are expecting it to do G2 routing, that is not there (yet?). It will only do dplus connections.

        73's

        James, N0XIA

      • n0xia@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2010
          Hi Gene,

          G2 is the Icom software that gateways run for what is called source routing. Since there are so many others that can answer this better than I, follow this link to one individual who recently posted an explanation. Reading and listening is how I learn.

          73's

          James, N0XIA