Hello from KB1RBF

  • Gene
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2010
      Hello all,
      I just want ed to introduce myself.
      I've been on D-Star for about a month now on a 92AD and I just got a DV Dongle. I'm using DVTool for my software. It seems pretty straight forward but it seems a bit limited. I know that the dongle is limited as opposed to a dedicated D-Star radio but does anyone know of any other software out there for the Dongle that increases flexibility?
      Sorry if this question has been addressed before. As I said, I'm brand new (enjoying the hell out of D-Star. Just made a contact with Japan last week! VERY cool!). BUT still learning.
      Any help advice or critiques are very welcome.
      73's!
      Gene KB1RBF
    • n0xia@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2010
        Hi Gene,

        The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you are running the latest version, DVTool2.0beta4.exe (for us Window users) found at
        http://www.opendstar.org/tools/

        If you are expecting it to do G2 routing, that is not there (yet?). It will only do dplus connections.

        73's

        James, N0XIA

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <wick0001@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I just want ed to introduce myself.
        > I've been on D-Star for about a month now on a 92AD and I just got a DV Dongle. I'm using DVTool for my software. It seems pretty straight forward but it seems a bit limited. I know that the dongle is limited as opposed to a dedicated D-Star radio but does anyone know of any other software out there for the Dongle that increases flexibility?
        > Sorry if this question has been addressed before. As I said, I'm brand new (enjoying the hell out of D-Star. Just made a contact with Japan last week! VERY cool!). BUT still learning.
        > Any help advice or critiques are very welcome.
        > 73's!
        > Gene KB1RBF

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 14, 2010
          Hi Gene,

          Are you running the latest DVtool-2.0 beta4,???
          if not download the file and put it on your desktop, in windows you just doubleclick the exe file and it launches, no need to install  anywhere, your ftdi chipset drivers etc should all be present as you said you were already setup on the dvdongle, i think you will see a lot more on your screen than the original dvtool which was java based.

           if you do not already have the latest setup then you can download it from here

          http://www.opendstar.org/tools/

          hope that helps, maybe see you on the dvtool screen

          73's  Paul GM1FNX

          On 14 April 2010 01:00, Gene <wick0001@...> wrote:

          Hello all,
          I just want ed to introduce myself.
          I've been on D-Star for about a month now on a 92AD and I just got a DV Dongle. I'm using DVTool for my software. It seems pretty straight forward but it seems a bit limited. I know that the dongle is limited as opposed to a dedicated D-Star radio but does anyone know of any other software out there for the Dongle that increases flexibility?
          Sorry if this question has been addressed before. As I said, I'm brand new (enjoying the hell out of D-Star. Just made a contact with Japan last week! VERY cool!). BUT still learning.
          Any help advice or critiques are very welcome.
          73's!
          Gene KB1RBF

        • w8red
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2010
            Hey Gene:

            Welcome to Dstar.

            For the DVDongle are you running the latest version?
            I think the new version is leaps and bounds better than the older java based one.

            Here is the link for windows:
            http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-2.0beta4.exe
            There are also Linux and Mac versions on the above site.

            A bunch of people, not me personally, have been running Drats with the Dongle:
            http://www.d-rats.com/

            Have a good week and again welcome to D-Star.

            Tom
            W8RED

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Gene" <wick0001@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I just want ed to introduce myself.
            > I've been on D-Star for about a month now on a 92AD and I just got a DV Dongle. I'm using DVTool for my software. It seems pretty straight forward but it seems a bit limited. I know that the dongle is limited as opposed to a dedicated D-Star radio but does anyone know of any other software out there for the Dongle that increases flexibility?
            > Sorry if this question has been addressed before. As I said, I'm brand new (enjoying the hell out of D-Star. Just made a contact with Japan last week! VERY cool!). BUT still learning.
            > Any help advice or critiques are very welcome.
            > 73's!
            > Gene KB1RBF

          • Gene Wichmann
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2010
              Hi James!
                Thank you very much for the info.  MUCH appreciated.
              I am using the 2.0 Beta4.exe version.
              As for G2.  I'm honestly not familiar with that.  What is is it?
              I'm just using basic D-Star radio to radio and the repeaters and reflectors.
              I'm still amazed and thrilled that I can hit anywhere from local stations to Germany to Japan, etc with a 5W HT.  I'm still monitoring on HF to learn my way around, but D-Star is fantastic.  Especially for an aging techno-geek like me.  LOL!
              73's!

              Gene KB1RBF

            • n0xia@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 15, 2010
                Hi Gene,

                G2 is the Icom software that gateways run for what is called source routing. Since there are so many others that can answer this better than I, follow this link to one individual who recently posted an explanation. Reading and listening is how I learn.

                73's

                James, N0XIA