D-Star Hot Spot = New DStar Software + DV Dongle Software + a little work

  • kb9khm
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2008
      I'm in the process of putting up a new D-Star repeater in my area,
      however the repeater will be about 20 miles from my house, and I won't
      be able to reach the repeater with an HT from inside my home.

      So I was thinking ...

      IF the new soundcard based D-Star GMSK decoding software is upgraded
      to also work in reverse (take a D-Star stream and modulate GMSK)

      AND we make a few changes to the guts of the DV Dongle software (the
      part that runs on the PC, not the firmware)

      THEN .. couldn't I transmit from my HT at home, to an analog radio set
      up at my house with 9600 baud port, have the data decoded by the new
      GMSK software, passing that stream though a modified version of the DV
      Dongle software and come out on a D-Star repeater of my choice? Part
      of the DV Dongle software mod could be to take the decoded RPT1 field
      from the stream transmitted from the HT to determine which gateway to
      connect to. Likewise, the MyCall and UrCall fields transmitted from
      the HT could be passed through the modified DV Dongle software to the
      connected gateway.

      No hardware would be needed other than an analog transceiver with a
      9600 baud port, and a PC!

      This could open up very inexpensive connections to the D-Star network
      from just about anywhere ... similar to what an I-Gate does on the
      APRS network.

      At this point, I don't think we are very far away from making this happen!

      Mark (KB9KHM)