Re: dv dongle installation

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2010
      Hi wloisk. The installation should be the same. Make sure you have internet connectivity when you plug in the DV Dongle so it will automatically download the ftdi drivers. If that does not happen, go to http://www.ftdichip.com and download/install the Windows driver.

      You might also wish to download http://opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-2.0beta4.exe and give it a try. It seems to be working better than the 1.0 java-based version.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wloisk@..." <wloisk@...> wrote:

      > DV Dongle installation instructions work fine for Windows operating system XP. Has anyone installed the Dongle on Windows 7, Home Premium, and could you give detailed instructions?
      > Thanks, de VE3DIL.

    • Woodrick, Ed
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2010

        For me the process was:

        ·         Make sure computer is connected to the Internet

        ·         Plug in DVDongle

        ·         Download Beta Software

        That was for either 32 or 64 bit Windows 7.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2010
          Hi Robin and thanks for your response to my question re DV Dongle installation with different O/S. Have updated driver installation as per your suggestion. Dongle displays "Bit Errors" now. Suspect USB Serial Port(Com4) in my case, not setup properly, shows the following parameters:
          Port settings 230400 Bits/sec., Data Bits 8, Parity none, Stop bits1, (one), Flow control none, Receive (bytes) 4096, Transmit (bytes) 4096,
          Latency (msec) 1, (one), Timeout Read 0, Timeout Write 0, Serial Enumerator is checked.
          Appreciate your comments.

          73,
          Werner
          VE3DIL

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
            Hi Werner. The "Bit Errors" display is normal. That is an indication of how well an RF user made it into their repeater. It does not show any problems with the DVTool software nor DV Dongle. Also, you don't need to set any comm port parameters. That is all handled by the software.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Werner Loisk <wloisk@...> wrote:

            > Hi Robin and thanks for your response to my question re DV Dongle installation with different O/S. Have updated driver installation as per your suggestion. Dongle displays "Bit Errors" now. Suspect USB Serial Port(Com4) in my case, not setup properly, shows the following parameters:
            > Port settings 230400 Bits/sec., Data Bits 8, Parity none, Stop bits1, (one), Flow control none, Receive (bytes) 4096, Transmit (bytes) 4096,
            > Latency (msec) 1, (one), Timeout Read 0, Timeout Write 0, Serial Enumerator is checked.
            > Appreciate your comments.
            >
            > 73,
            > Werner
            > VE3DIL
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Werner Loisk
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
              Hi Robin, your last e-mail is the cat's meow. Downloaded 2.0beta4.exe , parked it on the desktop, plugged in the DV Dongle, executed the beta4 driver and after setting up the parameters, all is working fine. Great instrument.
              Thanks for your patience.

              73,
              Werner
              VE3DIL

              Hi Werner. The "Bit Errors" display is normal. That is an indication of how well an RF user made it into their repeater. It does not show any problems with the DVTool software nor DV Dongle. Also, you don't need to set any comm port parameters. That is all handled by the software.

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Werner Loisk <wloisk@...> wrote:

              > Hi Robin and thanks for your response to my question re DV Dongle installation with different O/S. Have updated driver installation as per your suggestion. Dongle displays "Bit Errors" now. Suspect USB Serial Port(Com4) in my case, not setup properly, shows the following parameters:
              > Port settings 230400 Bits/sec., Data Bits 8, Parity none, Stop bits1, (one), Flow control none, Receive (bytes) 4096, Transmit (bytes) 4096,
              > Latency (msec) 1, (one), Timeout Read 0, Timeout Write 0, Serial Enumerator is checked.
              > Appreciate your comments.
              >
              > 73,
              > Werner
              > VE3DIL
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • kj6oio
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7 10:21 AM
                More information as message yesterday was not that clear.
                The software tries to start but I think that the problem is that it is not finding Java. The correct Java program is in the Java folder

                Worked fine on Sat. was able to listen to several reflectors. Next day this problem started. Windows 7.

                Thanks again.

                Carlton
                KJ6OIO
              • W Paul Mills
                • Carlton Stacks
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8 7:03 PM
                    I found that late yesterday evening. It worked great.
                    I even loaded on a netbook. Made my first DV Dongle contact using the netbook.

                    Thanks,

                    73
                    Carlton
                    kJ6oio