Linux?

  • jcherepy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2010
      How do I do a linux install? I D/L'ed the file DVTool-2.0beta4-linux, but I Ubuntu doesn't know what to do with the file and neither do I.

      Thanks,
      Bill WB4WTN
    • Antonio
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010

        Hi Bill,

        perhaps you don’t install Wine in your Ubuntu box. Try these simple passages:

        chmod 777 DVTool-2.0beta4- linux

        sudo apt-get install wine1.2

        Now all surely works.

        73 de Antonio IW2OAZ

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010

          Thanks, Antonio, but I don't want to run the Windows version under Wine, I want to run the Linux version, DVTool-2.0beta4-linux.

          73,

          Bill WB4WTN

          Hi Bill,

          perhaps you don’t install Wine in your Ubuntu box. Try these simple passages:

          chmod 777 DVTool-2.0beta4-linux

          sudo apt-get install wine1.2

        • Bill Cherepy
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 26, 2010

            Thanks, Adrian, I do have it executing, and I do get "NO AUDIO INOUT DEVICES FOUND" with my logitech headset plugged in. Not sure what you mean by popup chk *.

            I get popup: command not found.

            I'm a Linux newbie and since the I dual boot the Netbook with XP I think I'll stick to running the XP version.

            Bill WB4WTN

            The DVTool-2.0beta4-linux is a binary ready for linux and must be made executable by setting permissions.google setting file permissions in Ubuntu, as this is where you need to learn the basics.

            *The trick is setting your preferred default sound device to the sound device you wish to use with DVTool,and not set it to pulseaudio.

            As the file is a executable binary (when permissions are set), and you have it on the desktop or a launcher icon pointing to it, then double click to start it up.

            A command like /tmp/DVTool-2.0beta4-linux from a KDE menu or command launcher on the desktop, depending on where you have the file will start the GUI. I have mine in /tmp.
            If I am in that directory in the shell then I just use;

            ./DVTool-2.0beta4-linux.

            If you get ¨audio device not found¨popup chk *.

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 26, 2010
              Hi Bill,
               ok you should have the Ubuntu-linux beta 4.exe  file on your desktop icon showing.. ok right click on it and make sure you have permissions and its executable, tick the relevant boxes.. and hopefully now when you left double click it is now launching., Adrian is right if you make a launcher to the now enabled .exe file that should work the advantage of having  a launcher is it will start 2 screens one the terminal window and another the program, i prefer the 2 to launch but the program runs really stable on a double click if your happy just seeing the program window.
               Adrain also said check the sound system as this is normally where Ubuntu might show you problems, select the correct default sound device etc go to System , Control Centre and then make sure your soundcard is the default device, then same Control Centre  SOUND make sure your device uses ALSA as its default and away you go, the ftdi chipset drivers etc should allow the dvdongle to be used as Ubuntu has these on install, the terminal window will show you where it fails if it does, hope that helps, i'm not an expert on linux just an enthusiast hi hi.. but the dvdongle and linux work pretty good

               cheers de GM1FNX Paul

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 26, 2010

                Paul,

                When I run the app I get a info box "No Audio Input Device found!" and I don't know if it's not finding the Dongle or my Logitech headset.

                I don't know enough about Linux to troubleshoot.

                Thanks for trying.

                73,

                Bill WB4WTN

                 ok you should have the Ubuntu-linux beta 4.exe  file on your desktop icon showing.. ok right click on it and make sure you have permissions and its executable, tick the relevant boxes.. and hopefully now when you left double click it is now launching.,

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 26, 2010
                  Hi all

                  Got a dongle a few days back and finding it a fantastic little device.

                  But got a question about the rpt1 and rpt2 fields on the DVtools software.

                  I'm connecting to a reflector which is linking a number of repeaters.
                  Sometimes I get the reflector number on rpt1 and the repeater call (suffixed G) on rpt2.
                  Sometimes its the opposite way round. Repeater in rpt1, reflector in rpt2.
                  Other times I have both showing the reflector number, one of them suffixed G.

                  Presumably some are (like me) accessing the reflector via a dongle, and others are going into the repeaters on RF. Can anyone explain what means what?

                  73
                  Jack
                  VK2CJC / MM0AXL

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 27, 2010
                    Hi Jack. When a DV Dongle or DV Access Point Dongle user connects to a reflector, you will see rpt1/rpt2 filled with the reflector callsign and the connected module or "G". If a user is coming through a repeater, you will see the repeater callsign/module and reflector/module "G" in rpt1/rpt2. Some older software reversed the order of rpt1/rpt2 so you might see that as well.