Re: Iphone

  • kj4feq@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      WHen I purchased my DVDongle at Orlando Hamcation I initally used it on my latop with iPhone tethered. I talked to N0XIA and he helped me get mic setting right.

      If you never upgraded 3.1 the tethering app I had would work. I just recently had to update my phone due to work security policy. You can jail break your phone but don't recommend that.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Thomas" <dave.2w0ruh@...> wrote:

      > If your gonna build things to try to make it work, forget it, just tether
      > your i-phone to an internet connection on a netbook and it will work fine on
      > the netbook.
      >

      > DAVE (2W0RUH)
      >

      > Barry Amateur Radio Club Member.
      >

      > Member of South Glamorgan RAYNET.
      >

      > GB7CD Administrator.
      >

      > <http://www.2w0ruh.me.uk/> http://www.2w0ruh.me.uk

      > ___
      >

      > Confidentiality Notice: The information in this document is confidential. It
      > is intended only for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the
      > intended recipient please notify us immediately and delete this document.
      > The contents on this document must not be disclosed to any other person nor
      > may any copies be taken. Whilst all attachments and out going mail is
      > scanned for viruses, I take no responsibility for any virus so transmitted.
      >

      > Security Warning: This e-mail has been created in the knowledge that
      > Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. All liability
      > for any claims arising as a result of using this medium to transmit
      > information by us or to us is excluded to the extent permitted by law.

    • Chris Fowler
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
        On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 09:38 -0800, John Hays wrote:

        > Look your iPhone over very carefully, I think you will find it does
        > not have an USB jack. DV Dongles plug into the host using USB.

        I'm cleaning up my inbox so this reply is a bit old.

        I've thought about issues like this for a while and the iPhone, iTouch,
        and possibly iPad does not need a USB connector but one would not be
        required.

        It is possible to run a server on a remote host to allow access to the
        DVDongle but this is not ideal as the requirements are 230Kbps.

        Why not use a codec? In the VoIP world we do this all the time with
        systems that don't support the same codec. An application can convert
        the audio to GSM and use something like SIP/RTP to communicate to an
        application running on a home computer that uses the dongle.

        If your network is setup correctly and someone greats and iPhone
        application that would be allowed by Apple this could be the answer.

        The Dongle is also a half-duplex device right? You can not decode and
        code audio at the same time. On D-Star only one person can TX anyway so
        it could be possible that the same application could multiplex multiple
        clients to one Dongle. The server app would need to track call signs
        and insert them into the packet on transmission.

        If anyone wants to write something like this for the Dongle then I
        should be able to provide a 100mbs connection to the Internet for
        testing. I can also provide the Linux system too.

        Chris k4fh