Iphone

  • Larry Bowman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 21, 2010
      Just got a new Iphone and think.... what if I could hook the dongle to the Iphone.  Does anyone else have an iphone and wondering llll

      What IF?

      wb5ugc
      larry

    • Joel Barrett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 21, 2010
        The Echolink app works pretty well on the iPhone but there's no additional hardware required to get that running like there would be for D-Star.

        --
        Joel Barrett
        Cisco

        On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Larry Bowman <WB5UGC@...> wrote:

        Just got a new Iphone and think.... what if I could hook the dongle to the Iphone.  Does anyone else have an iphone and wondering llll

        What IF?

        wb5ugc
        larry

      • John Hays
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 22, 2010
          Look your iPhone over very carefully, I think you will find it does not have an USB jack.  DV Dongles plug into the host using USB.

          A little more information:

          USB is a master/slave system.  One end of the cable is the "master" (PC, etc.), the other end is the "slave" (DV Dongle, iPhone with USB cable) -- slaves don't talk directly to each other.

          My son, KD7PRM, who is also an iPhone developer (http://iphone.donaldhays.com/maidenhead/) said that the only way to reasonably tie hardware into the iPhone is through the docking connector at the bottom, he postulated that someone could build a USB hub that talks through that port (probably require a PIC and additional circuitry) and then you could plug USB slaves into it -- then create an USB library for the iPhone for people to write to and then its a matter of programming.  The other option is a WiFi connected DV Dongle type device (he has written applications to use bluetooth on the iPhone and does not recommend it for any serious programming).

          On Feb 21, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Larry Bowman wrote:

          Just got a new Iphone and think.... what if I could hook the dongle to the Iphone.  Does anyone else have an iphone and wondering llll

          What IF?

          wb5ugc
          larry

          John D. Hays
          Amateur Radio Station K7VE
          PO Box 1223
          Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
          VOIP/SIP: john@...
          Email: john@...

        • Dave Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 22, 2010

            If your gonna build things to try to make it work, forget it,  just tether your i-phone to an internet connection on a netbook and it will work fine on the netbook.

            DAVE (2W0RUH)

            Barry Amateur Radio Club Member.

            Member of South Glamorgan RAYNET.

            GB7CD Administrator.

            http://www.2w0ruh.me.uk

            Confidentiality Notice: The information in this document is confidential. It is intended only for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately and delete this document. The contents on this document must not be disclosed to any other person nor may any copies be taken.  Whilst all attachments and out going mail is scanned for viruses, I take no responsibility for any virus so transmitted.

            Security Warning: This e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. All liability for any claims arising as a result of using this medium to transmit information by us or to us is excluded to the extent permitted by law.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2010
              I like the Wifi idea... quite ambitious, but seems doable.

              This is not unlike the SDR activity going on now... an example of which can be found at sdr-radio.com.  This guy mentions working on an iPhone client for his SDR server...pretty cool concept.

              The problem here of course is that you are not simply doing VoIP.  You have some heavy processing to deal with supporting the proprietary chip.  But, it's all good - and fun!

              73
              Owen

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 23, 2010

                  Strange, some networks over here allow the 3G/3.5G signal to be re-radiated as WIFI from the phones, or indeed BlueTooth in the previous years, although 'some' do charge for useage 'outside' the phone itself.

                  I don't get charged extra for browsing and mp3 downloads or watching youtube on the phone, but I do for sending an email from it.  Work that one out.  (N97 Mini on Vodafone.)

                  T-Mobile don't charge a penny extra for anything on a blackberry, connected to a laptop, email, whatever, the lot is in the price and its half the other network.  (And slow!)

                  Either way, it saves having to carry around a 3G broadband dongle (not a DV dongle) in your kit as well as a phone.

                  Guess we are lucky D-Star is free…

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 23, 2010
                    At 04:45 AM 2/24/2010, you wrote:

                    >In the US, AT&T has not allowed tethering to an iPhone - I think
                    >that may change. I see no reason to run D-STAR through an iPhone,
                    >but to each their own.

                    In Australia, at least two providers (haven't checked the others yet,
                    but I suspect they will as well) allow tethering of iPhones for free
                    or at an additional cost. I particularly like the idea of using an
                    iPhone as a user interface to a DV Dongle that's running on a PC over
                    WiFi. That would certainly be useful around here, as there are times
                    I don't want to be tied to the PC, and I have WiFi setup around the
                    house. Of course, the DV AP would solve this problem as well, but
                    the iPhone is going to be here before a DV AP (which is stuck on the
                    wish list ;) ). iPhones can be picked up here on a contract with no
                    up front cost.

                    73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
                    http://vkradio.com
                  • kj4feq@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1 11:09 AM
                      I would love to use my iPhone as IDongle :) What a cool iPhone app that would be.

                      I also use the echolink app for iPhone and it works great!.

                    • kj4feq@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1 11:14 AM
                        WHen I purchased my DVDongle at Orlando Hamcation I initally used it on my latop with iPhone tethered. I talked to N0XIA and he helped me get mic setting right.

                        If you never upgraded 3.1 the tethering app I had would work. I just recently had to update my phone due to work security policy. You can jail break your phone but don't recommend that.

                        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Thomas" <dave.2w0ruh@...> wrote:

                        > If your gonna build things to try to make it work, forget it, just tether
                        > your i-phone to an internet connection on a netbook and it will work fine on
                        > the netbook.
                        >

                        > DAVE (2W0RUH)
                        >

                        > Barry Amateur Radio Club Member.
                        >

                        > Member of South Glamorgan RAYNET.
                        >

                        > GB7CD Administrator.
                        >

                        > <http://www.2w0ruh.me.uk/> http://www.2w0ruh.me.uk

                        > ___
                        >

                        > Confidentiality Notice: The information in this document is confidential. It
                        > is intended only for the use of the named recipient. If you are not the
                        > intended recipient please notify us immediately and delete this document.
                        > The contents on this document must not be disclosed to any other person nor
                        > may any copies be taken. Whilst all attachments and out going mail is
                        > scanned for viruses, I take no responsibility for any virus so transmitted.
                        >

                        > Security Warning: This e-mail has been created in the knowledge that
                        > Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. All liability
                        > for any claims arising as a result of using this medium to transmit
                        > information by us or to us is excluded to the extent permitted by law.

                      • Chris Fowler
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                          On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 09:38 -0800, John Hays wrote:

                          > Look your iPhone over very carefully, I think you will find it does
                          > not have an USB jack. DV Dongles plug into the host using USB.

                          I'm cleaning up my inbox so this reply is a bit old.

                          I've thought about issues like this for a while and the iPhone, iTouch,
                          and possibly iPad does not need a USB connector but one would not be
                          required.

                          It is possible to run a server on a remote host to allow access to the
                          DVDongle but this is not ideal as the requirements are 230Kbps.

                          Why not use a codec? In the VoIP world we do this all the time with
                          systems that don't support the same codec. An application can convert
                          the audio to GSM and use something like SIP/RTP to communicate to an
                          application running on a home computer that uses the dongle.

                          If your network is setup correctly and someone greats and iPhone
                          application that would be allowed by Apple this could be the answer.

                          The Dongle is also a half-duplex device right? You can not decode and
                          code audio at the same time. On D-Star only one person can TX anyway so
                          it could be possible that the same application could multiplex multiple
                          clients to one Dongle. The server app would need to track call signs
                          and insert them into the packet on transmission.

                          If anyone wants to write something like this for the Dongle then I
                          should be able to provide a 100mbs connection to the Internet for
                          testing. I can also provide the Linux system too.

                          Chris k4fh