Re: Macintosh Computer & DV Dongle

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
      I had some problems several weeks back which I was able to fix by downloading the latest FTDI driver. I believe you need the VCP driver 2.2.14 assuming you're running the latest OS, "Snow Leopard". Once I installed it and restarted to box, all was perfect. Here's the URL to access the drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

      Good Luck!
      Jess ND1L

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@...> wrote:

      > Update on DV Dongle & iMac 27"
      >
      > I notice, on 3 occasions I would lose my bluetooth mouse, keyboard and the DV dongle no longer shows blue lite, indicating my port crashed. Other processes were still running, but with no keyboard or mouse, I had to restart and things work okay.
      >
      > Not sure what the cause is, if I recall, in all instances, I was using other ports intensively, like cloning Hard drive. Whether it USBSERIAL drive issue or some conflict, I can't say yet. I report any updates, in case other find same issue.
      >
      > Alex (VA6ALY)

    • Al
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
        Hi Jess

        Thanks for the info, but I am using the current drivers.

        FTDIUSBSerialDrive10_6_v2_2_14

        I even reinstalled it a few times. The DV Dongle over a few hours of use, will knock out by usb port and my keyboard and mouse is bluetooth and it also stops. Restarting the computer fixes it. Any process going on in the background, still worked, etc. So, it just the USB ports that it crashes and the connection between bluetooth and usb port.

        For now, I leave my DV Dongle disconnected and put it on when I want to use it, but my intention were to leave it on for monitoring.

        Alex

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <nd1l@...> wrote:

        > I had some problems several weeks back which I was able to fix by downloading the latest FTDI driver. I believe you need the VCP driver 2.2.14 assuming you're running the latest OS, "Snow Leopard". Once I installed it and restarted to box, all was perfect. Here's the URL to access the drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
        >
        > Good Luck!
        > Jess ND1L
        >

        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Update on DV Dongle & iMac 27"
        > >
        > > I notice, on 3 occasions I would lose my bluetooth mouse, keyboard and the DV dongle no longer shows blue lite, indicating my port crashed. Other processes were still running, but with no keyboard or mouse, I had to restart and things work okay.
        > >
        > > Not sure what the cause is, if I recall, in all instances, I was using other ports intensively, like cloning Hard drive. Whether it USBSERIAL drive issue or some conflict, I can't say yet. I report any updates, in case other find same issue.
        > >
        > > Alex (VA6ALY)

      • Jess
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 9, 2010
          Hi Alex:

          Hmmm...

          I wonder whether the problem might relate to the bluetooth mouse. Have you tried running the Dongle software without the mouse?

          I had a similar problem using Echolink software on the Mac (it was called "EchoMac") with a bluetooth headset. While I can use the headset for many other functions including Skype I was unable to use it with EchoMac due to a conflict of some kind.

          You may be experiencing a similar conflict trying to use your bluetooth mouse with the Dongle software. It's an easy experiment to make...

          73
          Jess ND1L

          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jess
          >
          > Thanks for the info, but I am using the current drivers.
          >
          > FTDIUSBSerialDrive10_6_v2_2_14
          >
          > I even reinstalled it a few times. The DV Dongle over a few hours of use, will knock out by usb port and my keyboard and mouse is bluetooth and it also stops. Restarting the computer fixes it. Any process going on in the background, still worked, etc. So, it just the USB ports that it crashes and the connection between bluetooth and usb port.
          >
          > For now, I leave my DV Dongle disconnected and put it on when I want to use it, but my intention were to leave it on for monitoring.
          >
          > Alex
          >
          > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <nd1l@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I had some problems several weeks back which I was able to fix by downloading the latest FTDI driver. I believe you need the VCP driver 2.2.14 assuming you're running the latest OS, "Snow Leopard". Once I installed it and restarted to box, all was perfect. Here's the URL to access the drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
          > >
          > > Good Luck!
          > > Jess ND1L
          > >

          > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Update on DV Dongle & iMac 27"
          > > >
          > > > I notice, on 3 occasions I would lose my bluetooth mouse, keyboard and the DV dongle no longer shows blue lite, indicating my port crashed. Other processes were still running, but with no keyboard or mouse, I had to restart and things work okay.
          > > >
          > > > Not sure what the cause is, if I recall, in all instances, I was using other ports intensively, like cloning Hard drive. Whether it USBSERIAL drive issue or some conflict, I can't say yet. I report any updates, in case other find same issue.
          > > >
          > > > Alex (VA6ALY)

        • Al
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2010
            HI Jess
            Thanks for the suggestion. I have and still use EchoMac on the same computer, even both at same time, occasionally. Never had issue with EchoMac on this computer and several other macs.

            I now feel, the issue is nothing to do with bluetooth. I suspect the usbdrivers knock out the port after been used for awhile. I have let the DV dongle plug in but not connect and it appears to cause no problems. My computer is on 24/7.

            It only happens when I connect, the led flashes very fast. I notice it seem steady at 18% cpu processor usage, using only one core. I guess the driver is not optimized for multi cores. I thought there was a specific drivers for intel multi cores, but can't find it. I am assuming the current one is that one. FTDIUSBSerialDrive10_6_v2_2_14

            It is usable, but may have to reboot occasionally to insure reliability. Not very macish! LOL
            If i do lot of connect and disconnect, it more likely happens then. So far, this is my observations.

            Otherwise, it is fun

            Alex

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <nd1l@...> wrote:

            > Hi Alex:
            >
            > Hmmm...
            >
            > I wonder whether the problem might relate to the bluetooth mouse. Have you tried running the Dongle software without the mouse?
            >
            > I had a similar problem using Echolink software on the Mac (it was called "EchoMac") with a bluetooth headset. While I can use the headset for many other functions including Skype I was unable to use it with EchoMac due to a conflict of some kind.
            >
            > You may be experiencing a similar conflict trying to use your bluetooth mouse with the Dongle software. It's an easy experiment to make...
            >
            > 73
            > Jess ND1L
            >
            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Jess
            > >
            > > Thanks for the info, but I am using the current drivers.
            > >
            > > FTDIUSBSerialDrive10_6_v2_2_14
            > >
            > > I even reinstalled it a few times. The DV Dongle over a few hours of use, will knock out by usb port and my keyboard and mouse is bluetooth and it also stops. Restarting the computer fixes it. Any process going on in the background, still worked, etc. So, it just the USB ports that it crashes and the connection between bluetooth and usb port.
            > >
            > > For now, I leave my DV Dongle disconnected and put it on when I want to use it, but my intention were to leave it on for monitoring.
            > >
            > > Alex
            > >
            > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <nd1l@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I had some problems several weeks back which I was able to fix by downloading the latest FTDI driver. I believe you need the VCP driver 2.2.14 assuming you're running the latest OS, "Snow Leopard". Once I installed it and restarted to box, all was perfect. Here's the URL to access the drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
            > > >
            > > > Good Luck!
            > > > Jess ND1L

          • Wulf
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2010
              Hi Jess and Alex (and others...),

              since this weekend I'm as well a proud (?) owner of a Dongle, and ran into exactly the same problems: Double Core 24" iMac + Snow Leopard + Newest VCP USB driver (version 2.2.14) + Bluetooth Mouse + DVTools 2.0beta2 = after a while of using the Dongle suddenly the Bluetooth mouse stops working and the system hangs almost completely (1 processor is 100% busy with a root process) and it is very difficult to shut down the system in a controlled way with an 'emergency connected' USB mouse - reboot is absolutely necessary, no way around.

              Is there any other VCP driver required for a double-core Intel Mac??

              Other than that, IF the application is running: Fine job, I'll sure like it a lot when it is running in a stable mode!! Almost no processor load with good voice quality.

              Thanks for your help
              Wulf, DD9FZ

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@...> wrote:

              > HI Jess
              > Thanks for the suggestion. I have and still use EchoMac on the same computer, even both at same time, occasionally. Never had issue with EchoMac on this computer and several other macs.
              >
              > I now feel, the issue is nothing to do with bluetooth. I suspect the usbdrivers knock out the port after been used for awhile. I have let the DV dongle plug in but not connect and it appears to cause no problems. My computer is on 24/7.
              >
              > It only happens when I connect, the led flashes very fast. I notice it seem steady at 18% cpu processor usage, using only one core. I guess the driver is not optimized for multi cores. I thought there was a specific drivers for intel multi cores, but can't find it. I am assuming the current one is that one. FTDIUSBSerialDrive10_6_v2_2_14
              >
              > It is usable, but may have to reboot occasionally to insure reliability. Not very macish! LOL
              > If i do lot of connect and disconnect, it more likely happens then. So far, this is my observations.
              >
              > Otherwise, it is fun
              >
              > Alex
              >

              > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Jess" <nd1l@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi Alex:
              > >
              > > Hmmm...
              > >
              > > I wonder whether the problem might relate to the bluetooth mouse. Have you tried running the Dongle software without the mouse?
              > >
              > > I had a similar problem using Echolink software on the Mac (it was called "EchoMac") with a bluetooth headset. While I can use the headset for many other functions including Skype I was unable to use it with EchoMac due to a conflict of some kind.
              > >
              > > You may be experiencing a similar conflict trying to use your bluetooth mouse with the Dongle software. It's an easy experiment to make...
              > >
              > > 73
              > > Jess ND1L
              > >
              > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <alex.seiko@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Jess
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the info, but I am using the current drivers.
              > > >
              > > > FTDIUSBSerialDrive10_6_v2_2_14
              > > >
              > > > I even reinstalled it a few times. The DV Dongle over a few hours of use, will knock out by usb port and my keyboard and mouse is bluetooth and it also stops. Restarting the computer fixes it. Any process going on in the background, still worked, etc. So, it just the USB ports that it crashes and the connection between bluetooth and usb port.
              > > >
              > > > For now, I leave my DV Dongle disconnected and put it on when I want to use it, but my intention were to leave it on for monitoring.
              > > >
              > > > Alex

            • Susan Mackay
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
                While I could just say "me too", I have found that running the DVTool Beta 4 under Parallels with the latest FTDI drivers works nicely. It's a pity that it doesn't seem to work natively though.

                Susan VK3ANZ