Re: [DVDongle] Re: DVTool 2.0b4-linux on fedora 12 ./. ubuntu 9.10

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2010
      On 01/15/2010 07:39 AM, Chris Fowler wrote:

      Ubuntu has gotten a lot of heat for it shoving pulse audio down on its
      users. It is what it is though and for those that do not know Linux,
      well it could be the #1 desktop Linux distribution for them. I've been
      doing Linux since almost its inception and on the desktop I still prefer
      Ubuntu over Fedora. For instance, I had up until about noon today an
      8.10/9.04 system. It would refuse to run 2.0beta4. In under an hour I
      had 9.10 loaded and working. All I had to do to get NVidia working was
      to agree to load a closed driver and 2 minutes later I had crisp video.
      It kinda makes you miss the days of old where we were creating our
      XFree86.cfg file using VI. Ubuntu has made it very easy to load up a
      system and get online.

      I have confirmed that my configuration is utilising pulseaudio server with the alsa
      kernel module.

      On fedora 12 I can start other audio applications and listen to them alongside DVTool.
      DVTool2.0b4-linux needs the pcm default defined, and that what the asound.conf is now doing.

      Ok on the fedora update cycle, but things are getting better all the time due to this process,
      with hardware support really becoming excellent, especially in the usb area.

      fedora 13 will move into python 3, and will support auto driver installation for many recognised
      devices.

      vk4tux