RE: [DVDongle] Re: question# 2about not working..

  • Tim Hardy (AF1G)
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
      Robin,

      I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know if this is a limitation or not.  When using a conventional soundcard headset, I can unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the computer speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room full of people as I did at last week's club meeting.  Can you direct audio to the computer speakers when using a USB headset?

      73 de Tim, AF1G

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hardy \(AF1G\)" <hardyt@...>
        wrote:

        > Robin,
        >
        > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
        if this
        > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard headset,
        I can
        > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the computer
        > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room full
        of
        > people as I did at last week's club meeting. Can you direct audio to
        the
        > computer speakers when using a USB headset?

        Hi Tim. You should be able to select both the input and output audio
        source from the DVTool audio selection boxes.

      • Tim Hardy (AF1G)
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
          Cool, and thanks.  This comes under the heading of "how it works."   ; )

          Tim, AF1G

          > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
          if this
          > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard
          headset,
          I can
          > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out
          through the computer
          > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a
          group or room full
          of
          > people as I did at last week's club meeting.
          Can you direct audio to
          the
          > computer speakers when using a USB
          headset?

          Hi Tim. You should be able to select both the input and output audio
          source from the DVTool audio selection boxes.

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
            Just a possible different combo, I'm using my computer's sound card/
            5.1
            surround speaker system to listen and I just go a new Logitec USB 2.0
            Mic , radio shack has them on sale $ 19.99 and M/S Visa installs it
            automatically -- XP a litte harder to install. I just don't like to
            wear headphones and don't have tpo worry about walking away too
            quickly.

            Steve Kj6jt (D-Star Dongle )

            wrote:

            > Robin,
            >
            > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
            if this
            > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard
            headset, I can
            > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the
            computer
            > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room
            full of
            > people as I did at last week's club meeting. Can you direct audio
            to the
            > computer speakers when using a USB headset?
            >
            > 73 de Tim, AF1G

            Behalf Of
            > Robin Cutshaw
            > Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:02 AM
            > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [DVDongle] Re: question# 2about not working..
            >

            > Hi Mike. The Logitech USB headset works very well. It has great
            > audio and the fact that it is USB based helps since that locks the
            > built in sound card clock to a fixed frequency. We have seen so many
            > motherboard soundcard implementations that are way off frequency.
            >
            > I use both a Logitech USB headset and a Heil headset for testing.
            > Both work well.

            > Checked by AVG.
            3/21/2008
            > 5:52 PM

          • vesterscott
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2008
              Robin,

              WHICH Logitech USB headset? They have several of them. Tnx.

              Vester N8EKA

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2008
                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vesterscott" <vesterscott@...> wrote:

                > Robin,
                >
                > WHICH Logitech USB headset? They have several of them. Tnx.
                >
                > Vester N8EKA

                The headset I use (model 350 I think) has been replaced with a newer
                model. I think any of the Logitech USB headsets should work well.
                There are several folks using them.

              • vesterscott
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 24, 2008
                  Okay. Thanks.

                  Saw the Logitech Model 350 on eBay, and it appears to be about the
                  same as the current "Logitech Premium Stereo Headset" at Frys and
                  Walmart. Significant pricing diferences, though.

                  As the Dongle picks up speed, maybe there should be a listing of what
                  works/what doesn't in the Files section. Otherwise I'm just going to
                  keep asking dumb questions. You've been warned.

                  Vester N8EKA