Newbie question on data dapabilities of the DV Dongle

  • rvbcave
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2009
      First pardon my ignorance. I am looking in to purchasing a DV DONGLE. My question is thus: Does the DV Dongle offer all of the data capabilities of D-Star? Things like messaging, d*Chat, D-Starlet, and D-Rats? Does anyone use the DV Dongle mobile?

      Thank you kindly for your time!

      R.V. Brown
      rvbrown@...
    • W1DYS
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2009
        rvbcave wrote:
        > First pardon my ignorance. I am looking in to purchasing a DV DONGLE. My question is thus: Does the DV Dongle offer all of the data capabilities of D-Star? Things like messaging, d*Chat, D-Starlet, and D-Rats? Does anyone use the DV Dongle mobile?

        I have successfully used D-RATS (0.3.1b5) with the DV-Dongle. Only the
        D-RATS beta versions support the dongle at this time, IIRC -
        http://www.d-rats.com/download/beta/. I have not tried d*Chat or D-Starlet.

        Tony w1dys
      • Gary Pearce KN4AQ
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2009
          At 09:49 AM 12/10/2009, rvbcave wrote:
          Does anyone use the DV Dongle mobile?

          Yes. I use the Dongle while driving (mostly while RIDING) on an Acer Netbook using a Verizon air card and a USB headset. Works well.

          73,
          Gary KN4AQ

          ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News
          Gary Pearce KN4AQ
          508 Spencer Crest Ct.
          Cary, NC 27513
          kn4aq@...
          919-380-9944
          www.ARVideoNews.com

        • Tony Langdon
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2009
            At 08:42 AM 12/20/2009, you wrote:

            >At 09:49 AM 12/10/2009, rvbcave wrote:
            >>Does anyone use the DV Dongle mobile?
            >
            >Yes. I use the Dongle while driving (mostly while RIDING) on an Acer
            >Netbook using a Verizon air card and a USB headset. Works well.

            I have used mine on a train. :)

            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            http://vkradio.com
          • Neil
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2009
              Has anyone (in the UK) actually managed to surf the web, let alone use a dongle via 'mobile broadband' without interruptions over here while moving?
              I cannot even download a small file to my phone, in my own house, unless I stand perfectly still in the 'right' place.

              We may have faster speeds, but the throughput and consistency is useless here in the UK!

              73 de Neil G7EBY.