Re: [DVDongle] question# 2about not working..

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2008
      What happens when you start DVTool and connect the device? So far I havn´t seen you mention DVTool etc.

      vk4tux

      On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 19:37 +0000, wolobmp wrote:
      Hello,

      Looked at the device and did download the driver....here is the info I
      obtained from the device manager....FTDI....driver version is 2.4.6.0.

      I am still getting cannot exec ambe server as the message. The green
      led is blinking slowly. I am not sure what else I need to do. Again the
      system here win vista and I tried to remove the program re-install the
      program, but that didnt do anything.

      I am at a stand-still here untill I can get some help.

      Please assist if possible.
      Thank you...
      Mike
      73

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2008
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wolobmp" <wolobmp@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Looked at the device and did download the driver....here is the info
        > obtained from the device manager....FTDI....driver version is 2.4.6.0.
        >
        > I am still getting cannot exec ambe server as the message. The green
        > led is blinking slowly. I am not sure what else I need to do. Again
        the
        > system here win vista and I tried to remove the program re-install
        the
        > program, but that didnt do anything.

        The "cannot exec" message is usually due to not having the jar file in
        the same folder as the ascpseriald.exe file. Make sure you follow the
        installation instructions exactly as listed. The DVTool-dist.zip file
        includes the DVTool folder that should be extracted in it's entirety to
        your desktop (e.g. you should have a DVTool folder on your desktop).
        When you double click on the folder, it should open an explorer windows
        showing the contents. Double click on the dvtool.bat file.

      • wolobmp
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008

          Hello, I uninstalled the program and re-installed it and all works
          fine now.

          Question.....any particular mic works better then others? Any
          recommendations???

          Thanks for the replies....

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wolobmp" <wolobmp@...> wrote:

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@> wrote:
            > >

            > Hello, I uninstalled the program and re-installed it and all works
            > fine now.
            >
            > Question.....any particular mic works better then others? Any
            > recommendations???
            >
            > Thanks for the replies....
            >
            > Mike
            > 73

            Hi Mike. The Logitech USB headset works very well. It has great
            audio and the fact that it is USB based helps since that locks the
            built in sound card clock to a fixed frequency. We have seen so many
            motherboard soundcard implementations that are way off frequency.

            I use both a Logitech USB headset and a Heil headset for testing.
            Both work well.

          • Tim Hardy (AF1G)
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
              Robin,

              I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know if this is a limitation or not.  When using a conventional soundcard headset, I can unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the computer speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room full of people as I did at last week's club meeting.  Can you direct audio to the computer speakers when using a USB headset?

              73 de Tim, AF1G

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hardy \(AF1G\)" <hardyt@...>
                wrote:

                > Robin,
                >
                > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
                if this
                > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard headset,
                I can
                > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the computer
                > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room full
                of
                > people as I did at last week's club meeting. Can you direct audio to
                the
                > computer speakers when using a USB headset?

                Hi Tim. You should be able to select both the input and output audio
                source from the DVTool audio selection boxes.

              • Tim Hardy (AF1G)
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                  Cool, and thanks.  This comes under the heading of "how it works."   ; )

                  Tim, AF1G

                  > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
                  if this
                  > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard
                  headset,
                  I can
                  > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out
                  through the computer
                  > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a
                  group or room full
                  of
                  > people as I did at last week's club meeting.
                  Can you direct audio to
                  the
                  > computer speakers when using a USB
                  headset?

                  Hi Tim. You should be able to select both the input and output audio
                  source from the DVTool audio selection boxes.

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                    Just a possible different combo, I'm using my computer's sound card/
                    5.1
                    surround speaker system to listen and I just go a new Logitec USB 2.0
                    Mic , radio shack has them on sale $ 19.99 and M/S Visa installs it
                    automatically -- XP a litte harder to install. I just don't like to
                    wear headphones and don't have tpo worry about walking away too
                    quickly.

                    Steve Kj6jt (D-Star Dongle )

                    wrote:

                    > Robin,
                    >
                    > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
                    if this
                    > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard
                    headset, I can
                    > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the
                    computer
                    > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room
                    full of
                    > people as I did at last week's club meeting. Can you direct audio
                    to the
                    > computer speakers when using a USB headset?
                    >
                    > 73 de Tim, AF1G

                    Behalf Of
                    > Robin Cutshaw
                    > Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:02 AM
                    > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [DVDongle] Re: question# 2about not working..
                    >

                    > Hi Mike. The Logitech USB headset works very well. It has great
                    > audio and the fact that it is USB based helps since that locks the
                    > built in sound card clock to a fixed frequency. We have seen so many
                    > motherboard soundcard implementations that are way off frequency.
                    >
                    > I use both a Logitech USB headset and a Heil headset for testing.
                    > Both work well.

                    > Checked by AVG.
                    3/21/2008
                    > 5:52 PM

                  • vesterscott
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 23, 2008
                      Robin,

                      WHICH Logitech USB headset? They have several of them. Tnx.

                      Vester N8EKA

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 23, 2008
                        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vesterscott" <vesterscott@...> wrote:

                        > Robin,
                        >
                        > WHICH Logitech USB headset? They have several of them. Tnx.
                        >
                        > Vester N8EKA

                        The headset I use (model 350 I think) has been replaced with a newer
                        model. I think any of the Logitech USB headsets should work well.
                        There are several folks using them.

                      • vesterscott
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 24, 2008
                          Okay. Thanks.

                          Saw the Logitech Model 350 on eBay, and it appears to be about the
                          same as the current "Logitech Premium Stereo Headset" at Frys and
                          Walmart. Significant pricing diferences, though.

                          As the Dongle picks up speed, maybe there should be a listing of what
                          works/what doesn't in the Files section. Otherwise I'm just going to
                          keep asking dumb questions. You've been warned.

                          Vester N8EKA