dtx weather net

  • ki8as
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2009
      Tom,

      Sorry for the last minute notification. We were waiting on hearing for the NWS if we would be using D-Star. Being the
      first year using it I don't know if we will get much use out of it. But I think it may help get the word out for the D-Star
      and the reflector. Joe W8SS will be directing K8LCD to 24C also.

      I don't have email on other D-Star repeaters in Michigan, so if you have them could you forward the below and let them know
      what we are doing. Users can still use the system as I don't think we will see a lot of activity this year. But we will be
      listening and calling CQ from time to time.

      program and recognizes the contributions of the amateur radio community. This 24-hour event offers an opportunity for hams
      around the world to make contact with National Weather Service offices across the country. Participants making at least one
      contact with a NWS office are eligible to receive a full-color certificate. Additionally many NWS will be offering QSL cards.
      Details are available on the SKYWARN Recognition Day web site.

      http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/hamradio/

      During the event, amateur radio operators visit participating NWS offices and contact other radio operators across the world.
      It is estimated that more than 100 NWS offices including the National Weather Service in White Lake will be participating in this
      year's event. SKYWARN Recognition Day will be held at the White Lake National Weather Service office beginning on December 4th at
      7:00 PM and last for 24 hours.

      D-Star, EchoLink and IRLP are just a few of modes people can utilize to contact NWS offices during SKYWARN Recognition Day.
      Many NWS offices will be on 2 Meters, 440 MHz, HF bands. This year NWS Detroit K8DTX located in White Lake Mi will be utilizing
      D-Star and the new Michigan Reflector 24C. Many of the Michigan D-Star repeaters will be linking to the new reflector.

      All operators are welcome to contact all NWS stations via radio or stop by. You can stop by for a few minutes or stay for a while,
      and operate the radios. You'll find that we are not die hard contesters, but perfectly content kicking back and talking about the
      weather or radio and you'll find the NWS forecast team is very willing to answer your questions and show you around the weather center.

      Thanks,

      Jim
      W8JJR