Re: Version 1.10 ubuntu version

  • vk4tux
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "VK3NAY" <vk3nay@...> wrote:

      > After downloading version 1.10 to the desctop, How do you open
      > the program in synapac manager.The package is showing on the desctop
      > but can not istall it. Brian vk3nay.

      Brian, there is no installation as such, just the need for the correct java package files in the same folder now on your desktop and jre java installed on your Ubuntu. The latest ver is 1.6.0_17;

      http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

      Read the docs there on the sun java site for information on install;

      http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/jre/install-linux.html#self-extracting

      You need to know where the installed java package normally resides in folder location on your Ubuntu , usually in /usr/lib/jvm/

      On ubuntu 'which java' will return /usr/bin/java which is a symlink to
      /etc/alternatives/java on ubuntu

      This mechanism allows multipe jre/jdks to be installed. You can list,
      and set what the version of java is being used with update-alternatives

      update-alternatives --list java

      The output should look like something like this depending on versions
      installed. (example only)

      /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0_17/jre/bin/java
      /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
      /usr/bin/gij-4.2
      /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
      /usr/bin/gij-4.1

      You can then set which one to use as follows

      sudo update-alternatives --set java
      /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0_17/jre/bin/java

      Afterwards java -version returns

      java version "1.6.0_17"
      Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.6.0_17-b05)
      Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_17-b05, mixed mode)

      Installing on Linux

      1.

      ‣Drivers for the FTDI USB chip used by the DV Dongle are included in most Linux distributions. Install the Sun Java Runtime (JRE) 6 from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and make sure that this version is selected in your PATH environment variable.
      See;

      http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-set-java_home-path-variable/

      Once installed, plug in the DV Dongle and download the DVTool tarball at http://www.dvdongle.com/downloads/DVTool-dist.tgz and extract to your Desktop. Run dvtool.sh to start the DVTool application. Note that some distributions like Ubuntu include an accessibility package called brltty that must be un-installed before DV Dongle use.

      Make dvtool.sh executable in > properties > permissions from file manager gui showing the desktop folder. You should be able to click on the file from DVtool folder(open) on desktop to open or drag the file to the desktop and select link here, create a menu item to point to the file , or other desktop launcher procedure to do the same.

      Please persist as we all needed to learn linux procedures from scratch
      at some time in the past. Google is your friend here also. Look up items like creating menus, desktop launcher & setting permissions etc for Ubuntu.

      vk4tux
    • Larry Bowman

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bowman <WB5UGC@...> wrote:

          > I have the same question
          >
          > 73'x wb5ugc, larry

          See;

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_%28software%29

          Synaptic manager is not going to utilize or see any DVTool download as they are either a compressed java tarball/zipfile or as with 2b4; a binary executable (once you set permissions).

          So Synaptic is looking for rpm/deb packages installed, and showing what are available from repository database metadata, for upgrade/new packages available to install.

          If you are new to Ubuntu and linux itś well worth getting to learn about it on-line with user guides and such, or pick up a book.

          vk4tux