question# 2about not working..

  • wolobmp
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2008
      Hello,

      Looked at the device and did download the driver....here is the info I
      obtained from the device manager....FTDI....driver version is 2.4.6.0.

      I am still getting cannot exec ambe server as the message. The green
      led is blinking slowly. I am not sure what else I need to do. Again the
      system here win vista and I tried to remove the program re-install the
      program, but that didnt do anything.

      I am at a stand-still here untill I can get some help.

      Please assist if possible.
      Thank you...
      Mike
      73
    • Adrian

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 21, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wolobmp" <wolobmp@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > Looked at the device and did download the driver....here is the info
            > obtained from the device manager....FTDI....driver version is 2.4.6.0.
            >
            > I am still getting cannot exec ambe server as the message. The green
            > led is blinking slowly. I am not sure what else I need to do. Again
            the
            > system here win vista and I tried to remove the program re-install
            the
            > program, but that didnt do anything.

            The "cannot exec" message is usually due to not having the jar file in
            the same folder as the ascpseriald.exe file. Make sure you follow the
            installation instructions exactly as listed. The DVTool-dist.zip file
            includes the DVTool folder that should be extracted in it's entirety to
            your desktop (e.g. you should have a DVTool folder on your desktop).
            When you double click on the folder, it should open an explorer windows
            showing the contents. Double click on the dvtool.bat file.

          • wolobmp
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008

              Hello, I uninstalled the program and re-installed it and all works
              fine now.

              Question.....any particular mic works better then others? Any
              recommendations???

              Thanks for the replies....

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wolobmp" <wolobmp@...> wrote:

                > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@> wrote:
                > >

                > Hello, I uninstalled the program and re-installed it and all works
                > fine now.
                >
                > Question.....any particular mic works better then others? Any
                > recommendations???
                >
                > Thanks for the replies....
                >
                > Mike
                > 73

                Hi Mike. The Logitech USB headset works very well. It has great
                audio and the fact that it is USB based helps since that locks the
                built in sound card clock to a fixed frequency. We have seen so many
                motherboard soundcard implementations that are way off frequency.

                I use both a Logitech USB headset and a Heil headset for testing.
                Both work well.

              • Tim Hardy (AF1G)
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                  Robin,

                  I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know if this is a limitation or not.  When using a conventional soundcard headset, I can unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the computer speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room full of people as I did at last week's club meeting.  Can you direct audio to the computer speakers when using a USB headset?

                  73 de Tim, AF1G

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hardy \(AF1G\)" <hardyt@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Robin,
                    >
                    > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
                    if this
                    > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard headset,
                    I can
                    > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the computer
                    > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room full
                    of
                    > people as I did at last week's club meeting. Can you direct audio to
                    the
                    > computer speakers when using a USB headset?

                    Hi Tim. You should be able to select both the input and output audio
                    source from the DVTool audio selection boxes.

                  • Tim Hardy (AF1G)
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                      Cool, and thanks.  This comes under the heading of "how it works."   ; )

                      Tim, AF1G

                      > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
                      if this
                      > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard
                      headset,
                      I can
                      > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out
                      through the computer
                      > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a
                      group or room full
                      of
                      > people as I did at last week's club meeting.
                      Can you direct audio to
                      the
                      > computer speakers when using a USB
                      headset?

                      Hi Tim. You should be able to select both the input and output audio
                      source from the DVTool audio selection boxes.

                    • Steve
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22, 2008
                        Just a possible different combo, I'm using my computer's sound card/
                        5.1
                        surround speaker system to listen and I just go a new Logitec USB 2.0
                        Mic , radio shack has them on sale $ 19.99 and M/S Visa installs it
                        automatically -- XP a litte harder to install. I just don't like to
                        wear headphones and don't have tpo worry about walking away too
                        quickly.

                        Steve Kj6jt (D-Star Dongle )

                        wrote:

                        > Robin,
                        >
                        > I have never used a USB headset/boom mic combo before so don't know
                        if this
                        > is a limitation or not. When using a conventional soundcard
                        headset, I can
                        > unplug the headphones and have the audio come out through the
                        computer
                        > speakers, which is useful when demonstrating to a group or room
                        full of
                        > people as I did at last week's club meeting. Can you direct audio
                        to the
                        > computer speakers when using a USB headset?
                        >
                        > 73 de Tim, AF1G

                        Behalf Of
                        > Robin Cutshaw
                        > Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:02 AM
                        > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [DVDongle] Re: question# 2about not working..
                        >

                        > Hi Mike. The Logitech USB headset works very well. It has great
                        > audio and the fact that it is USB based helps since that locks the
                        > built in sound card clock to a fixed frequency. We have seen so many
                        > motherboard soundcard implementations that are way off frequency.
                        >
                        > I use both a Logitech USB headset and a Heil headset for testing.
                        > Both work well.

                        > Checked by AVG.
                        3/21/2008
                        > 5:52 PM

                      • vesterscott
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2008
                          Robin,

                          WHICH Logitech USB headset? They have several of them. Tnx.

                          Vester N8EKA

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 23, 2008
                            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "vesterscott" <vesterscott@...> wrote:

                            > Robin,
                            >
                            > WHICH Logitech USB headset? They have several of them. Tnx.
                            >
                            > Vester N8EKA

                            The headset I use (model 350 I think) has been replaced with a newer
                            model. I think any of the Logitech USB headsets should work well.
                            There are several folks using them.

                          • vesterscott
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 24, 2008
                              Okay. Thanks.

                              Saw the Logitech Model 350 on eBay, and it appears to be about the
                              same as the current "Logitech Premium Stereo Headset" at Frys and
                              Walmart. Significant pricing diferences, though.

                              As the Dongle picks up speed, maybe there should be a listing of what
                              works/what doesn't in the Files section. Otherwise I'm just going to
                              keep asking dumb questions. You've been warned.

                              Vester N8EKA