Re: [DVDongle] Re: Radio Interface for DV-DONGLE operation

  • Nate Duehr
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 20, 2009
      On Oct 20, 2009, at 5:07 PM, aa4rc wrote:

      > On another tangent, I spoke with ARRL legal about this issue and
      > their claim (correct or not) was that, if you have a user coming in
      > from the internet and the first RF generated is on the remote end
      > from the user, that transmitter on the remote end must ID the user.
      > In essence, the first place RF comes out must ID the user. This
      > statement has many interesting rammifications, especially for multi-
      > national conversations.

      This is a downright WRONG answer. Who gave you this opinion?!

      This would mean EchoLink from Headset to RF (PC-Net-RF), IRLP to IRLP
      (RF-Net-RF), and repeater links (RF-Link Frequency-RF) which all ID
      with the transmitter owner's ID, NOT the user calling from the Net,
      would be illegal. NONE of those send the person on the other end's
      callsign as their ID.

      They need to go read the "Auxiliary Station" section of Part 97
      again. Those are exactly what Net-to-RF links are, here in the U.S.,
      and they've supported that opinion (I have the text and graphics from
      QST where they said it, complete with it being noted as Chris Imlay's
      opinion (ARRL Legal Counsel)... it's on a hard drive here somewhere.

      This is what drove the request to the FCC to open up 2m to Auxiliary
      Station use, since vast quantities of simplex EchoLink and IRLP nodes
      were being operated illegally on VHF simplex for years*.

      *Auxiliary Stations once were limited to 222 MHz and above in Part 97,
      this changed a few years ago.

      --
      Nate Duehr, WY0X
      nate@...

      http://facebook.com/denverpilot
      http://twitter.com/denverpilot
    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 20, 2009
        On Oct 20, 2009, at 5:49 PM, aa4rc wrote:

        > I was worried that this would digress. The worry was that if you mix
        > dstar audio (where the user does not have to voice ID) and analog
        > audio (where the user does have to voice ID), the dstar user may not
        > be ID'd on the analog portion of the RF link. The extreme example of
        > this is linking a dstar repeater where users are using d-rats
        > without audio into an analog repeater. Lots of transmissions, no
        > voice ID's.

        Still doesn't matter as long as the OPERATOR of that analog station
        sends a legal ID. A pile of kerchunks and a 10 minute ID won't
        "sound" right to listeners of "traditional" analog systems, but still
        legal, and they can still find the operator of the analog station if
        they have a problem with it, or want more information.

        --
        Nate Duehr, WY0X
        nate@...

        http://facebook.com/denverpilot
        http://twitter.com/denverpilot
      • Tony Langdon
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 20, 2009
          At 10:49 AM 10/21/2009, you wrote:
          >I was worried that this would digress. The worry was that if you
          >mix dstar audio (where the user does not have to voice ID) and
          >analog audio (where the user does have to voice ID), the dstar user
          >may not be ID'd on the analog portion of the RF link. The extreme
          >example of this is linking a dstar repeater where users are using
          >d-rats without audio into an analog repeater. Lots of
          >transmissions, no voice ID's.

          I can see your point. Might be a case where VOX is actually the best
          interface method, given that a VOX would ignore the D-RATS, so the
          dead carriers don't get rebroadcast on the other side. The rest, I
          don't see as a big issue, at least not currently, the vast majority
          of hams still voice ID out of decades of habit, and will probably
          continue to do so, since it serves a purpose (like it's hard to look
          at your radio while driving)...

          I don't see it as a big problem, and the analogue link could send an
          advisory message to any connecting node. On reflectors, there's less
          of an issue, because exchanging callsigns is the most common way of
          passing control in nets and roundtables.

          There are some real legal issues here (we have a biggie that comes
          into play when the analogue and digital endpoints are both in
          Australia, and the analogue is on 10m, 2m or 70cm), but we know how
          to manage these issues.

          73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
          http://vkradio.com
        • Tony Langdon
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 21, 2009
            At 01:57 PM 10/21/2009, you wrote:

            >Still doesn't matter as long as the OPERATOR of that analog station
            >sends a legal ID. A pile of kerchunks and a 10 minute ID won't

            Which is existing practice on IRLP and Echolink.

            >"sound" right to listeners of "traditional" analog systems, but still
            >legal, and they can still find the operator of the analog station if
            >they have a problem with it, or want more information.

            As I said, a properly setup VOX could probably mitigate this problem,
            in any case.

            73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
            http://vkradio.com