First Post

  • Tim Barrett
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
      So what's the DV Dongle and why would I want one?

      Tim
    • moe_wheatley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Barrett" <k6biv@...> wrote:

        > So what's the DV Dongle and why would I want one?
        >
        > Tim

        Hi Tim,
        One of the "issues" with dstar is that the voice compression algorithm
        is proprietary and only available as a hardware chip from DVSI. All
        dstar voice data streams passing over the internet between gateways is
        compressed and thus there is no way to "hear" any of the voice data
        just look at call signs and text data. The only way to hear the voice
        data was to use an Icom dstar radio which has this DVSI
        compression/decompression chip built in.

        The chip itself(AMBE2020 or AMBE2000) is available and can be easily
        purchased but is not a very friendly task for the casual ham user to
        build a board and interface a 100 pin .5mm pitch IC to it.

        So the DVDongle(Digital Voice Dongle) idea was hatched over a few
        beers and too little sleep. The idea was to make a little board that
        would plug into a PC USB port and would contain all the DVSI hardware
        and interface stuff to allow the PC to send and receive compressed
        voice data and get normal soundcard uncompressed style data from the
        dongle. This would allow one to use a PC soundcard to send and
        receive the dstar compressed voice data.

        OK so what good is it? Robin has with much effort got a cross
        platform Java program running that will allow a user from a PC to
        connect to a dstar gateway and listen and talk to a remote repeater
        port using a PC and soundcard headset. Basically a radioless dstar
        connection.

        One use comes to mind is for an area emergency coordinator to be able
        to monitor and talk to all the repeaters involved from a location
        outside of a dstar repeater range. Another is to let hams who are not
        in radio range of a dstar repeater be able to connect to one and
        communicate over the system.

        Keep in mind this is NOT a substitute for VOIP. If all you want to do
        is chat over the internet there are a lot of applications that will
        do that and are free. In fact now the access to repeaters is going to
        be very limited and up to the administrator of each gateway as to if
        who and what access rights are given. The current dstar network
        structure is very poor for multiple internet connections since each
        gateway has to have N times the bandwidth for N internet connections.

        This is very early in the development stages of the open dstar
        network. We think the best way to move forward is to create a
        reflector server somewhere with a big pipe to the internet that would
        allow lots of multiple connections and play traffic cop to all the
        network data streams. This way each gateway only has to make one
        connection to the reflector and the single wide bandwidth reflector
        manages the stream replications to all the users.

        So who should get one? Right now I would say only those who want to
        seriously contribute to this network development in helping debug(yup
        there are bugs and gonna be more) as well as just test the
        capabilities and are willing to try new things at the risk of crashes
        and earfuls of turkey talk :) If you are wanting a polished "shrink
        wrapped" solution then please wait a while until the system matures.

        We are currently still looking for a manufacturer for the dvdongle so
        it will be a while before it will be readily available. The current
        units are all hand built so availability is going to be very very
        limited for a while so please be patient.

        moe

        p.s. The dongle is not limited to dstar use. The same DVSI chip is
        used for amateur HF digital voice so one could use it to implement a
        soundcard HF Digital voice application. Or it can just be used to
        compress speech into a very small file size for archiving etc. At the
        best compression setting, one can store an hour of speech in less than
        a megabyte. Try that with pkzip or mp3.
      • Tim Barrett
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
          Thanks Moe..

          I will share your info.

          And also thanks for the great work.

          I have had a Dongle since October and I hope I can assist however possible.

          Tim

        • Tony
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "moe_wheatley" <ae4jy@...> wrote:

            > So the DVDongle(Digital Voice Dongle) idea was hatched over a few
            > beers and too little sleep. The idea was to make a little board that
            > would plug into a PC USB port and would contain all the DVSI hardware
            > and interface stuff to allow the PC to send and receive compressed
            > voice data and get normal soundcard uncompressed style data from the
            > dongle. This would allow one to use a PC soundcard to send and
            > receive the dstar compressed voice data.

            Good work Moe, I'm sure the DVDongle will be a winner. I can see so
            many uses for this particular piece of hardware. In D-STAR, I'd
            imagine it could also be used to implement a D-STAR SDR, with the
            modulation done in a PC, and the voice compression using the DV
            Dongle. It's also theoretically possible for existing VoIP systems to
            use the DVDongle to add a "high compression, low overhead" mode to
            their software.

            The sky's the limit from what I can see. I'm a bit short of funds
            ATM, otherwise I'd have ordered a DVDongle to play with.
          • joelalumia@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2013
              Just to add my 2 cents worth... I recently bought a "used" DVdongle and I must say it is easier than using my 880H to link and unlink the local repeaters to other repeaters and or a reflector. With the dongle you can jump around with essentially 2 clicks of the mouse and connect everywhere.

              This can be useful while watching the dstarusers.org Last Heard web site.... and of course you can hit repeaters that are not in range of your radio.

              73

              Joe W1XWX

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <vk3jed@...> wrote:

              > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "moe_wheatley" <ae4jy@> wrote:
              > >

              > > So the DVDongle(Digital Voice Dongle) idea was hatched over a few
              > > beers and too little sleep. The idea was to make a little board that
              > > would plug into a PC USB port and would contain all the DVSI hardware
              > > and interface stuff to allow the PC to send and receive compressed
              > > voice data and get normal soundcard uncompressed style data from the
              > > dongle. This would allow one to use a PC soundcard to send and
              > > receive the dstar compressed voice data.
              >
              > Good work Moe, I'm sure the DVDongle will be a winner. I can see so
              > many uses for this particular piece of hardware. In D-STAR, I'd
              > imagine it could also be used to implement a D-STAR SDR, with the
              > modulation done in a PC, and the voice compression using the DV
              > Dongle. It's also theoretically possible for existing VoIP systems to
              > use the DVDongle to add a "high compression, low overhead" mode to
              > their software.
              >
              > The sky's the limit from what I can see. I'm a bit short of funds
              > ATM, otherwise I'd have ordered a DVDongle to play with.

            • Carlton Stacks
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2013
                Thanks Joe. Found different software late yesterday evening. Loaded with no problem. Even works on a netbook.
                Wanted to use the DVDongle on trips. Easier to use then having to code in repeaters on my 80AD.

                73,

                Carlton
                KJ6OIO