Java / DVTool Startup Problem

  • Stephen M. Parker, WR9A
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2008
      For some reason, I can not get DVTool (version 1.04beta2, beta3, and the newly released
      1.04) to run on my machine any more. It had been working fine, then one day (without any
      change in hardware or major updates) it just stopped working.

      I try to run it, wait for the usual pause, then ... Nothing. I can go back to version
      1.03, and it runs just fine. I tried a couple of the 1.04beta versions, and they worked
      up until a few days ago. I tried the new release of 1.04 yesterday, and it does not run
      for me.

      Here's the message I get when running "java -jar DVTool.jar":
      Operating System Windows XP
      Architecture x86
      mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
      Audio device error line with format PCM_SIGNED 8000.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame,
      little-endian not supported.

      My soundcard has not changed, my soundcard drivers have not changed, but this error
      keeps showing up and DVTool 1.04 will not run. Version 1.03 works fine. (I know the
      obvious reply is to run 1.03. But this would preclude me from running future, required
      updates.) Any ideas?
      _______________________________________
      Stephen, WR9A - Lafayette, Indiana
      Email: shortwave (AT) verizon -DOT- net
      _______________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen M. Parker, WR9A"
        <shortwave@...> wrote:

        > For some reason, I can not get DVTool (version 1.04beta2, beta3,
        and the newly released
        > 1.04) to run on my machine any more. It had been working fine, then
        one day (without any
        > change in hardware or major updates) it just stopped working.
        >
        > I try to run it, wait for the usual pause, then ... Nothing. I can
        > 1.03, and it runs just fine. I tried a couple of the 1.04beta
        versions, and they worked
        > up until a few days ago. I tried the new release of 1.04 yesterday,
        and it does not run
        > for me.
        >
        > Here's the message I get when running "java -jar DVTool.jar":
        > Operating System Windows XP
        > Architecture x86
        > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
        3200
        > Audio device error line with format PCM_SIGNED 8000.0 Hz, 16 bit,
        mono, 2 bytes/frame,
        > little-endian not supported.

        Hmm, that's weird. I didn't change anything in the sound section
        between 1.03 and 1.04. Do you by chance have any other programs
        running that could have the sound card open? Could you open a dos
        command window and run "java -version"?

        You might try opening your DVTool folder and renaming DVTool.jar to
        DVTool-104.jar and copy in the 1.03 version of DVTool.jar and name it
        as DVTool-103.jar. Then open a dos command window and cd to your
        DVTool folder. Then run "java -jar DVTool-103.jar" to test, close it
        and run "java -jar DVTool-104.jar". Send the output of those two
        runs together.

        Thanks,
      • ke5c@hot.rr.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
          This happened to me too, and I remembered I had accepted a Java update - one those "free" updates that just shows up from time to time on Windoze. I uninstalled the update, and everything went back to working. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the version, but I'm thinking I got a Microsoft JAVA installed on top of a Sun JAVA. The dongle continued to work on my Fedora laptop where I hadn't messed with the JAVA, 73, John

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2008
            Here is the information you requested, Robin.
            C:\Install\DVTool 1.03>java -version
            java version "1.6.0_04"
            Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)

            C:\Install\DVTool 1.03>java -jar DVTool.jar
            Operating System Windows XP
            mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
            mixer Software mixer and synthesizer max output buf size 3200

            C:\Install\DVTool 1.03>cd..

            C:\Install>cd dvtool 1.04

            C:\Install\DVTool 1.04>java -jar DVTool.jar
            Operating System Windows XP
            Architecture x86
            mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size 3200
            Audio device error line with format PCM_SIGNED 8000.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/
            frame, little-endian not supported.
            _______________________________________
            Stephen, WR9A - Lafayette, Indiana
            Email: shortwave (AT) verizon -DOT- net
            _______________________________________

            > For some reason, I can not get DVTool (version 1.04beta2, beta3,
            and the newly released
            > 1.04) to run on my machine any more. It had been working fine, then
            one day (without any
            > change in hardware or major updates) it just stopped working.
            >
            > I try to run it, wait for the usual pause, then ... Nothing. I can
            > 1.03, and it runs just fine. I tried a couple of the 1.04beta
            versions, and they worked
            > up until a few days ago. I tried the new release of 1.04 yesterday,
            and it does not run
            > for me.
            >
            > Here's the message I get when running "java -jar DVTool.jar":
            > Operating System Windows XP
            > Architecture x86
            > mixer Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture max input buf size
            3200
            > Audio device error line with format PCM_SIGNED 8000.0 Hz, 16 bit,
            mono, 2 bytes/frame,
            > little-endian not supported.

            Hmm, that's weird. I didn't change anything in the sound section
            between 1.03 and 1.04. Do you by chance have any other programs
            running that could have the sound card open? Could you open a dos
            command window and run "java -version"?

            You might try opening your DVTool folder and renaming DVTool.jar to
            DVTool-104.jar and copy in the 1.03 version of DVTool.jar and name it
            as DVTool-103.jar. Then open a dos command window and cd to your
            DVTool folder. Then run "java -jar DVTool-103.jar" to test, close it
            and run "java -jar DVTool-104.jar". Send the output of those two
            runs together.

            Thanks,

            Yahoo! Groups Links