Re: dstar.exe to dvtool - no audio

  • rick.wakatori
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
      HI Phillip and the others,

      I am using DV-Dongle under Windows XP (SP2) with 1st-sound card
      and 2nd sound card.

      Radio output is connected to mic-in jack of 1st sound card and
      operation mode is listen to peer-to-peer. But the port 6116 can not
      be assigned because of already used port.

      The dstar.exe reports some listening callsigns but no audio come
      up. DV-Dongle looks in activate mode during the operation.

      My 2nd-headset works well with DV-Dongle recording and play back.
      I have tried all combinations between all audio devices.

      I assume that a problem may be existing in the port assignment
      logic among Windows XP, Dongle-tools and dstar.exe.
      Or my over estimation may be existed on the functionality of the
      softwares.

      Rick, 7L1RLL, City of Kawasaki, Japan.

      > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rick.wakatori" <rickn@> wrote:
      > >
      > > HI Philip and the others,
      > > I am feeling the same difficulty that callsign are
      > > displayed but no voice come to 2nd USB headphone.
      > > I could not connect with any gateway so far.
      > >
      > > I need a help to comlete this work.
      > > Rick, 7L1RLL in City of Kawasaki, Japan.
      > > Photo: See http:www.qrz.com (callsign search)
      > >

      > Hi Rick. What O/S are you running? You said 2nd USB headset?
      You
      > have two on the system? Did you change the audio output in DVTool?
      >
      > You might have to go into the O/S and make the 2nd USB headset
      your
      > default audio output device. If you can get sounds from the
      computer
      > to the 2nd USB headset, you should be able to get audio from
      DVTool
      > there as well.

    • Philip Robinson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
        Rick,

        I had better data decoding using the "line in" of the sound card
        than using the "mic" input but it sounds like you are decoding just
        fine. I would suggest trying a different port such as 6117 or higher
        if you have not already do so. Dstar.exe will default to 6116 but
        can be forced to what ever port you like. I still have not got past
        the first audio transmission limit and also not being able to reuse
        the same port in the same dos session. Dstar.exe will not give any
        indication of audio present. You can look at the dvtool.txt file in
        the folder that contains dvtool software and see call sign info that
        is also shown in dstar.exe. In that same file, dvtool.txt, after my
        first audio transmission it will say stream complete when it passes
        audio, but it still only passes on the first transmission.

        I'm not having any issues with connecting to gateways. I use 2 sound
        cards as well. Just make sure you select your sounds card with the
        headphones in the dvtool software at the top of the dvtool window.

        I'm looking forward to seeing if you can get the RF to dvdongle
        audio to working.

        Philip
        KB5ASY
      • rick.wakatori
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
          I have the same problem with you on the dstar.exe and DV-Tool.
          UDP Login 127.0.0.1:23813 - Added to client table(this varies by
          each connection even Peer to Peer Port 6116 from DV-Tool.

          The dstar.exe reports Flags(00),Destination(DIRECT),Departure
          (DIRECT), Companion(CQCQCQ) and Stn.Callsign(7L1RLL C / 430).

          Audio sound from the speaker is same as speaker sound 'Gya Gha' of
          FT-100,FM mode, even if RF was sent by ID-91(same as ID-91AD except
          frequency range).

          Security does not protect port 6116 on the computer at the moment.
          DV-Dongle indicates to working (both red and blue LED lit).
          AMBE/Audio Loopback works well separately.

          Rick, 7L1RLL
          City of Kawasaki, Japan

          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Robinson" <kb5asy@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm having trouble getting audio to dvtool from dstar.exe.
          >
          > I have dstar.exe decoding the data from RF and I have the dv
          dongle
          > with dvtool working but when I try to pass data through 127.0.0.1
          port
          > 6116 I get no audio. I do get the message that dvtool has attached
          > a specific port in dstar.exe. I have tried it on xp pro and vista.
          > They work fine separately but not together to pass audio.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Philip
          > KB5ASY

        • rick.wakatori
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 14, 2008
            HI Philip,

            This computer has only one jack for both line-in and mic-in.
            Difference between mic-in and line-in is only amplitude selection
            (20dB up). DV-Tool can decode RF received data stream such
            callsign to display at assigned area.

            I have tried to switch the port 6116 to the others, but 6117
            could not be connected. Because I assigned port 6116 only
            for Peer to Peer connection at Windows firewal.

            Built-in audio speaker generates strong noise while D-STAR RF
            received.
            Blue LED and Red LED are lit during the operation.

            It seems that assignment of audio devices is incorrect or
            the output of DV-Dongle can not be specifyed to correct audio device
            (such 2nd USB headphone).

            I have still a difficulty to listning any human voice with DV-Dongle
            except loopback testing.