RE: [DVDongle] Most recent JRE

  • John Breland
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2009

      Try this:

      http://www.javatester.org/

      John

      KD4EXS

      From: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com [mailto: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of John Sobkowicz
      Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:32 PM
      To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [DVDongle] Most recent JRE

      Hello all,

      I see several references to people running JRE 1.6.  When I run the Java Preferences App on my MacBook Pro, I see the screen shown below.  I'm not all that familiar with Java on the Mac - am I running the most version?  I don't see any reference to JRE (Java Runtime Environment), and I'm not sure what "J2SE" refers to.  If I needed to update something with Java on a Mac, how would I do that?

      73

      John

      VA6GEO

      On 10-Jul-09, at 12:37 PM, Robin Cutshaw wrote:

      Hi Luke. If you are running MacOS X, make sure you run the Java preferences app and move 1.6 to the top in the dialog boxes. I had a similar problem until I did that.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, "va7lwe" <va7lwe@...> wrote:

      > Colin,
      >
      > What platform are you running on?
      >
      > I have a very similar problem on MacOS X, with JRE 1.5 and 1.6. and the
      latest FTDI drivers. I've been wondering if I should use older drivers, because there seem to be plenty of people that have the dongle working fine on their Macs. This could be hardware/multicore dependent, despite the fact that I have the same problem on both a Penryn 8-way Mac Pro and an original Intel (Core 2 Duo) MacBook Pro.

      > I've given up experimenting with the thing for now, but am still really
      keen to get it working if possible (otherwise I've effectively purchased an expensive 'lemon'!).

      href="mailto:DVDongle%40yahoogroups.com">DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Colin Haig <telescope@> wrote:

      > > I'm trying to get my dongle running right after months of no
      activity.
      > > 1.05 and 1.10beta5 with various JREs 1.6 update 14, 13, 6, 5 all are
      class=apple-converted-space>
      > > giving me stuttering - compressed and uncompressed buffer underruns
      in the log.
      > > I've tried an XP SP3 and 2000 SP4 machine, firewalls on or off.
      class=apple-converted-space>
      > > Latest FTDI driver.
      > > I also see a socket error sometimes.
      > > Any suggestions ? I'm stumped.
      > > Colin VE3MSC

    • John Sobkowicz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009
        Thanks Luke....John

        VA6GEO

        On 12-Jul-09, at 6:21 PM, va7lwe wrote:

        Hi John,

        Mac OS X has various versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed and updated automatically (from time to time at Apple's good leisure). These versions are all concurrently available, but there remains the issue of which one is chosen if Java is launched by regular means, either in the browser, or from the command line (e.g. "java" command). Selecting which java environment will be launched is what this Java Preferences app does.

        BTW, J2SE stands for "Java 2, Standard Edition", and Sun renamed this as simply "Java Standard Edition", as it eventually deemed the 'version 2' branding to be a little bit of a stretch! Anyway, the important point is that all the entries in the two lists pertain to particular versions of the Java runtime environment you have installed. You never _need_ to update these Java installations yourself as new versions will be installed for you from time to time via Apple's usual Software Update mechanism.

        Now, according to the experiences of folk here, the DV Dongle works best with the latest Java 1.6 JRE, which has the best implementation of the Java audio libraries etc. To ensure that this JRE is selected when you run the dvtool Java app in the Terminal window (typically, with: ./dvtool.sh) you should drag the "Java SE 6" item to the top of the list in at least the lower "Java Applications" section on the General settings. You may as well go ahead and do the same for the Java Applet Plugin list too, IMO.

        This should be sufficient to get the best 'experience' using the dongle, apparently.

        HTH

        -- Luke