Re: [DVDongle] dstar.exe to dvtool - no audio

  • Bob Blackstock
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2008
      Philip,
             I saw the Yahoo dstar project , but I have not try it.
      I have got the peer-to-peer working with a voice contact.
               Bob
      I'm having trouble getting audio to dvtool from dstar.exe.

      I have dstar.exe decoding the data from RF and I have the dv dongle
      with dvtool working but when I try to pass data through 127.0.0.1 port
      6116 I get no audio. I do get the message that dvtool has attached to
      a specific port in dstar.exe. I have tried it on xp pro and vista.
      They work fine separately but not together to pass audio.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Philip
      KB5ASY

    • Philip Robinson

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 26, 2008
          Using a tosh m100 laptop here, with a wireless broadband maxon bp-3 usb modem(not 802 router wireless; i.e. uses Bigpond mobile ph Next-G system)) and I set no firewall, I think I have no router port to forward etc ? (that I know of ?). So I guess it depends on the guy at other end getting his setup right to get a "connect to peer" connection. I tried with K7VE the other day with no joy so far.

          VK6TUX

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 26, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian" <vk6tux@...> wrote:

            > Using a tosh m100 laptop here, with a wireless broadband maxon bp-3
            usb modem(not 802 router wireless; i.e. uses Bigpond mobile ph Next-G
            system)) and I set no firewall, I think I have no router port to
            forward etc ? (that I know of ?). So I guess it depends on the guy at
            other end getting his setup right to get a "connect to peer"
            connection. I tried with K7VE the other day with no joy so far.

            The trick to getting peer-to-peer mode working is port forwarding. The
            person on the "listening" end must forward the selected UDP port from
            the internet to their PC. This is usually done with the web interface
            on your internet router.

          • Philip Robinson
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 27, 2008

              Ok maybe no one has tried this so let me explain my setup and maybe someone can experiment as well.

              Equipment used:

              DV Dongle

              Kenwood TH-F6

              Icom IC-91AD

              P4 3 GHz Intel Laptop 1 gig RAM with XP pro

              Turtle Beach USB sound card interface

              TH-F6 to sound card interface cable

              I set the TH-F6 up in 9600 baud packet mode which gives me discriminator out at the speaker jack. I feed the TH-F6 audio into the USB sound card line in. I start dstar.exe pointing to the USB sound card and port 6116 and test using the 91AD. I get expected call sign data displayed in the dos window.

              I start up dvtool and connect to a repeater to verify dv dongle operation.

              I select connect to peer in dvtool with the following 127.0.0.1 port 6116. I see in the dstar.exe window that a connection was made. I test again using the 91AD. The dstar.exe window displays the same call sign data but no audio is passed to dvtool.

              How would I tell if dstar.exe is passing the data or dvtool is seeing the data?

              I'm not sure what else to check.

              Philip

              KB5ASY

            • pjm
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
                Hi Philip,

                I've played quite a lot with the dstar demodulator tool and
                DV-Tool/Dongle to recover audio off air. It may be worth trying your
                local ethernet adapters IP address to bind to when you start the
                demodulator software, instead of 127.0.0.1

                I tested this demodulator setup with two PC's too, one running the
                dstar-demodulator and the other running DV-Tool / Dongle, and both
                setups seemed to work well. If you want to see the data, download
                Wireshark / Ethereal which is a network packet sniffer, you should see
                the comms on port 6116 or whatever you choose.

                I can replicate the setup here again if needed to help you fault find.

                regards,

                Paul M0EYT.
              • rick.wakatori
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2008
                  HI Philip and the others,
                  I am feeling the same difficulty that callsign are
                  displayed but no voice come to 2nd USB headphone.
                  I could not connect with any gateway so far.

                  I need a help to comlete this work.
                  Rick, 7L1RLL in City of Kawasaki, Japan.
                  Photo: See http:www.qrz.com (callsign search)

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Robinson" <kb5asy@...>
                  (Summerlized)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 29, 2008
                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rick.wakatori" <rickn@...> wrote:

                    > HI Philip and the others,
                    > I am feeling the same difficulty that callsign are
                    > displayed but no voice come to 2nd USB headphone.
                    > I could not connect with any gateway so far.
                    >
                    > I need a help to comlete this work.
                    > Rick, 7L1RLL in City of Kawasaki, Japan.
                    > Photo: See http:www.qrz.com (callsign search)

                    Hi Rick. What O/S are you running? You said 2nd USB headset? You
                    have two on the system? Did you change the audio output in DVTool?

                    You might have to go into the O/S and make the 2nd USB headset your
                    default audio output device. If you can get sounds from the computer
                    to the 2nd USB headset, you should be able to get audio from DVTool
                    there as well.

                  • Philip Robinson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
                      Paul,

                      I did discover that I am getting audio on the first transmission but
                      not on follow on transmissions. I guess before I was hitting the PTT
                      momentarily to make sure dstar.exe was working. I see in the
                      dvtool.txt document that it has noted that "stream complete" on the
                      first transmission but if I send another transmission I do not here
                      the audio and I do not get the "stream complete". Dstar.exe works
                      just the same either way displaying the call sign information. I do
                      not see any indication from dstar.exe that it even knows when audio
                      is present. If I shut down dstar.exe, change ports, and reconnect
                      back up it will pass the first audio transmission but not second and
                      on. I cannot reuse the previous ports until I shut down that command
                      prompt (dos shell) and open a new one. Then I can reuse previous
                      ports. I have moved dstar.exe to a different computer still same
                      results as above.

                      Any ideas?

                      Thanks,

                      Philip
                      KB5ASY
                    • rick.wakatori
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
                        HI Phillip and the others,

                        I am using DV-Dongle under Windows XP (SP2) with 1st-sound card
                        and 2nd sound card.

                        Radio output is connected to mic-in jack of 1st sound card and
                        operation mode is listen to peer-to-peer. But the port 6116 can not
                        be assigned because of already used port.

                        The dstar.exe reports some listening callsigns but no audio come
                        up. DV-Dongle looks in activate mode during the operation.

                        My 2nd-headset works well with DV-Dongle recording and play back.
                        I have tried all combinations between all audio devices.

                        I assume that a problem may be existing in the port assignment
                        logic among Windows XP, Dongle-tools and dstar.exe.
                        Or my over estimation may be existed on the functionality of the
                        softwares.

                        Rick, 7L1RLL, City of Kawasaki, Japan.

                        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "rick.wakatori" <rickn@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > HI Philip and the others,
                        > > I am feeling the same difficulty that callsign are
                        > > displayed but no voice come to 2nd USB headphone.
                        > > I could not connect with any gateway so far.
                        > >
                        > > I need a help to comlete this work.
                        > > Rick, 7L1RLL in City of Kawasaki, Japan.
                        > > Photo: See http:www.qrz.com (callsign search)
                        > >

                        > Hi Rick. What O/S are you running? You said 2nd USB headset?
                        You
                        > have two on the system? Did you change the audio output in DVTool?
                        >
                        > You might have to go into the O/S and make the 2nd USB headset
                        your
                        > default audio output device. If you can get sounds from the
                        computer
                        > to the 2nd USB headset, you should be able to get audio from
                        DVTool
                        > there as well.

                      • Philip Robinson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                          Rick,

                          I had better data decoding using the "line in" of the sound card
                          than using the "mic" input but it sounds like you are decoding just
                          fine. I would suggest trying a different port such as 6117 or higher
                          if you have not already do so. Dstar.exe will default to 6116 but
                          can be forced to what ever port you like. I still have not got past
                          the first audio transmission limit and also not being able to reuse
                          the same port in the same dos session. Dstar.exe will not give any
                          indication of audio present. You can look at the dvtool.txt file in
                          the folder that contains dvtool software and see call sign info that
                          is also shown in dstar.exe. In that same file, dvtool.txt, after my
                          first audio transmission it will say stream complete when it passes
                          audio, but it still only passes on the first transmission.

                          I'm not having any issues with connecting to gateways. I use 2 sound
                          cards as well. Just make sure you select your sounds card with the
                          headphones in the dvtool software at the top of the dvtool window.

                          I'm looking forward to seeing if you can get the RF to dvdongle
                          audio to working.

                          Philip
                          KB5ASY
                        • rick.wakatori
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
                            I have the same problem with you on the dstar.exe and DV-Tool.
                            UDP Login 127.0.0.1:23813 - Added to client table(this varies by
                            each connection even Peer to Peer Port 6116 from DV-Tool.

                            The dstar.exe reports Flags(00),Destination(DIRECT),Departure
                            (DIRECT), Companion(CQCQCQ) and Stn.Callsign(7L1RLL C / 430).

                            Audio sound from the speaker is same as speaker sound 'Gya Gha' of
                            FT-100,FM mode, even if RF was sent by ID-91(same as ID-91AD except
                            frequency range).

                            Security does not protect port 6116 on the computer at the moment.
                            DV-Dongle indicates to working (both red and blue LED lit).
                            AMBE/Audio Loopback works well separately.

                            Rick, 7L1RLL
                            City of Kawasaki, Japan

                            wrote:

                            > I'm having trouble getting audio to dvtool from dstar.exe.
                            >
                            > I have dstar.exe decoding the data from RF and I have the dv
                            dongle
                            > with dvtool working but when I try to pass data through 127.0.0.1
                            port
                            > 6116 I get no audio. I do get the message that dvtool has attached
                            > a specific port in dstar.exe. I have tried it on xp pro and vista.
                            > They work fine separately but not together to pass audio.
                            >
                            > Any ideas?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Philip
                            > KB5ASY

                          • rick.wakatori
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 14, 2008
                              HI Philip,

                              This computer has only one jack for both line-in and mic-in.
                              Difference between mic-in and line-in is only amplitude selection
                              (20dB up). DV-Tool can decode RF received data stream such
                              callsign to display at assigned area.

                              I have tried to switch the port 6116 to the others, but 6117
                              could not be connected. Because I assigned port 6116 only
                              for Peer to Peer connection at Windows firewal.

                              Built-in audio speaker generates strong noise while D-STAR RF
                              received.
                              Blue LED and Red LED are lit during the operation.

                              It seems that assignment of audio devices is incorrect or
                              the output of DV-Dongle can not be specifyed to correct audio device
                              (such 2nd USB headphone).

                              I have still a difficulty to listning any human voice with DV-Dongle
                              except loopback testing.

                              Rick, 7L1RLL
                              City of Kawasaki, Japan