DVDongle user "HOME" - sugggest Reflector 19A

  • Kuby
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2009
      Question to all: Do you think we could adopt a USA REFLECTOR as a DVDongle "HOME"? A place where DVDognle users can seek each other out, concudt tests, ask questions, share info, or just rag chew. A "common place" that DVdongle users can hang out.

      Is this possible/permitted?

      Suggest >>> REF019A <<< that will likely have little usage being in Wisconsin and very very little use on 1.2G.

      I say, some use is always better than NO use! I tested 19A and it seems to work by reporting my connection callsign.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <nate@...> wrote:

      > There's also:
      >
      > http://www.dstarinfo.com/Reflectors/Reflectors.aspx
      >
      > And...
      >
      > http://www.dstar.org.au/reflectors.htm
      >
      > (Not mine, just passing along the links. )
      >
      > Most of these types of general announcements are posted on the
      > "main" (not the Dongle) list at dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com ...
      > since they're not really Dongle-specific, and somewhat "off-topic" for
      > the Dongle list... I suppose.
      >
      > Nate WY0X
      >
      > On May 29, 2009, at 7:09 AM, Robin Cutshaw wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Kuby. Take a look at:
      > >
      > > http://www.opendstar.org/tools/readme.txt
      > >
      > > This include a description of the current reflectors. Also, I think www.dstarinfo.com
      > > has a good section on reflectors.
      > >
      > > As for the data modes, you probably want to check some of the other
      > > d-star related yahoo groups. They have been discussed extensively
      > > and probably don't need another rehash here.

      > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> 1st....Can some one inform us of the definitions of the numerous
      > >> REF###'s? How we are expected to use (or not) the REF###'s? What
      > >> is the definition/use for each Ref?
      > >>
      > >> I do not readily see policy/definition/how-to-be-used about REF's
      > >> on DstarUser.org.
      > >>
      > >> 2nd....
      > >> Can some one post some links as to these various D-data modes?
      > >> Please give a brief explanation about how-to-use the d-data mode.
      > >>

      > >> We can't be expected to follow the Rules/Policy or Use them
      > >> properly if we do not know them. TNX
      > >> This would make a good article/file to be Posted and updated in the
      > >> groups FILES area!

      > --
      > Nate Duehr
      > nate@...

    • Kuby
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 25, 2009
        Question for all:

        Do you think we could adopt a USA REFLECTOR as a DVDongle "HOME"?

        A place where DVdongle users can seek each other out, conduct tests, ask questions, share info, or just rag chew. A "common place" that DVdongle users can hang out.

        Suggest >>> REF019A <<< that will likely have little usage being in Wisconsin and very very little Ops on 1.2G.

        Some use is always better than NO use! I tested 19A and it seems to work by reporting my connection on the web site tracker:
        http://ref019.dstargateway.org/
      • n2slb
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 26, 2009
          Idea sounds good. Bob

          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@...> wrote:

          > Question for all:
          >
          > Do you think we could adopt a USA REFLECTOR as a DVDongle "HOME"?
          >
          > A place where DVdongle users can seek each other out, conduct tests, ask questions, share info, or just rag chew. A "common place" that DVdongle users can hang out.
          >

          > Suggest >>> REF019A <<< that will likely have little usage being in Wisconsin and very very little Ops on 1.2G.
          >
          > Some use is always better than NO use! I tested 19A and it seems to work by reporting my connection on the web site tracker:
          > http://ref019.dstargateway.org/

        • Woodrick, Ed
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 27, 2009

            Kuby,

            Just a tidbit of information. The letter on a reflector has nothing to do with a frequency. There is absolutely no correlation between the reflector’s A module and 1.2 GHz. Also, a reflectors location has little to do (at this time) with the stations that are connected to it.

            Another tidbit, the correlation between the module letter and a frequency is a practice started by the trust team. In Japan, the first module on the air is the A module, the next being B. Japan has a number of repeaters where the A module is a 440 frequency.

            Ed WA4YIH

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2 10:32 AM
              What happened to your idea? Bob

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 3 7:44 AM
                I've been there many times but it's hard to have a sane conversation with only myself..... and the past three days I've been down - working at cleaning/killing a hijack virus off my PC.

                And tying REF19"A" to 1.2g was a such a serious faux-pas that it had to be publicly slapped down minimizing my effort and indirectly shaming anyone from doing Dongle REF19A.

                I've not seen any support for this idea in the group - not from Group management, Dongle creator, or users.

                I had an idea and tried twice to get momentum - but it looks like my effort was for not.

                Kuby

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 3 8:27 PM

                  I certainly hope that you didn’t take my comments as a “slap down” My comments were only meant to make sure that a couple of “common misperceptions” were not occurring.

                  The whole concept of the reflectors is foreign to many D-STAR users. There are a number of users that I’ve talked to that really do think that the C module on a reflector has something to do with a 2M repeater. There’s also a large number who think that the B module “has to be” 440 MHz.

                  Just wanted to keep the facts straight.

                  Ed WA4YIH

                  "Kuby" <n6jsx@> wrote:

                  > > Question for all:
                  > >
                  > > Do you think we could adopt a USA REFLECTOR as a DVDongle
                  "HOME"?

                  > > A place where DVdongle users can seek each other out, conduct tests,
                  ask questions, share info, or just rag chew. A "common place" that DVdongle users can hang out.

                  > > Suggest >>> REF019A <<< that will likely have
                  little usage being in Wisconsin and very very little Ops on 1.2G.

                  > > Some use is always better than NO use! I tested 19A and it seems to
                  work by reporting my connection on the web site tracker:
                  > > http://ref019.dstargateway.org/

                • verhulst01876
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 5 2:49 PM
                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Woodrick, Ed" <ewoodrick@...> wrote:

                    > Just a tidbit of information. The letter on a reflector has nothing to do with a frequency. There is absolutely no correlation between the reflector's A module and 1.2 GHz.

                    Yes, but you only have to look at D-StarUsers.org to understand why people think that there is. Here's a snipped from that site:

                    PA3ANG 07/05/09 21:35:30 UTC REF017 A 1.2GHz DVD Amsterdam
                    W1DYS 07/05/09 21:33:30 UTC REF017 A 1.2GHz DVD Amsterdam
                    PA7FRN 07/05/09 21:32:35 UTC REF017 A 1.2GHz DVD Amsterdam
                    VE2NBZ 07/05/09 21:11:12 UTC REF016 C 2 Meters DVD Unknown
                    N2SLB 07/05/09 21:09:42 UTC REF001 C 2 Meters DVD Unknown
                    KC2SCY 07/05/09 20:54:56 UTC REF020 A 1.2GHz DVD Unknown
                    KI6TWT 07/05/09 20:49:20 UTC REF016 B 440 MHz DVD Unknown
                    PD0MAR 07/05/09 20:45:30 UTC REF017 A 1.2GHz DVD Amsterdam

                    73s, Tony
                  • Louis Cashmer
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7 6:54 AM
                      Agreed, there is no mandatory correlation between letter designation and band. However, I think a standard needs to be accepted and adopted.

                      DSTAR has a fairly steep learning curve. As a matter of fact, I think it may be more work than many HAMs are willing to put in. The lack of consistency and documentation make it more difficult.

                      I ran into this very issue on my first attempt at contributing some documentation for new users to our community. I think it would be a simple matter for us all to simply agree to a common standard for alpha designations and publish.

                      Open architecture doesn't have to mean anarchy. Standards can be a good thing.

                      Just MHO
                      Louis
                      KG4QPQ

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "verhulst01876" <w1dys@...> wrote:

                      > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Woodrick, Ed" <ewoodrick@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Just a tidbit of information. The letter on a reflector has nothing to do with a frequency. There is absolutely no correlation between the reflector's A module and 1.2 GHz.

                    • John Hays
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7 12:41 PM
                        It is not a standard, it is a convention - but we would be better served by understanding what it is than just accepting and adopting it.

                        Think of this scenario:

                        You have an Icom RP2C controller and you decide to hook up 4 Icom repeater modules to it.

                        145.105- MHz.
                        147.395+ MHz.
                        445.491250- MHz.
                        449.493750- MHz.

                        (The controller accepts four modules, regardless of band or mode, e,g. DD/DV)

                        Since you can't have two "B" modules and two "C" modules, what are you going to do?  Simple, you just name them "A", "B", "C", and "D"  or "X", "Y", "Z", and "Q" - it really doesn't matter.  The letters are only there to differentiate multiple modules assigned to the same callsign.  (Actually, if the gateway software and controller firmware were smarter, you could have different callsigns and no letters at all).

                        You don't really need to know what band/frequency the repeater is on when going through the gateway, you just need to know its callsign (address).  With callsign directed calls, it becomes even less important because you may not even know, or care what repeater the end station is at.

                        From an "air protocol" a lot of what is in the current gateway/controller is overly complex for no good reason from a user point of view.  Unfortunately, people make policy based on what makes sense to them, rather than looking at the architectural issues and creating sensible approaches to the problem domain.

                        On Jul 7, 2009, at 6:54 AM, Louis Cashmer wrote:

                        Agreed, there is no mandatory correlation between letter designation and band. However, I think a standard needs to be accepted and adopted.

                        DSTAR has a fairly steep learning curve. As a matter of fact, I think it may be more work than many HAMs are willing to put in. The lack of consistency and documentation make it more difficult.

                        I ran into this very issue on my first attempt at contributing some documentation for new users to our community. I think it would be a simple matter for us all to simply agree to a common standard for alpha designations and publish.

                        Open architecture doesn't have to mean anarchy. Standards can be a good thing.

                        Just MHO
                        Louis
                        KG4QPQ

                        John Hays
                        Amateur Radio: K7VE

                      • Woodrick, Ed
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 7 7:37 PM

                          And the accepted convention, as far as I know, is….

                          For systems connected to the US Trust Server

                          C = 140MHz

                          B = 440MHz

                          A=1.2 GHz

                          For systems connected to the Japan Trust Server

                          A=First module

                          B=Second module.

                          (There is no 2 M in Japan)

                          (The frequency allocation differs dependent on the country. US is on 440, most of the rest of the world is 430. Similar for other bands.)

                          For Reflectors

                          A, B, C have no frequency correlation. You can find on REF001C, 144, 440, and 1200 MHz servers all interconnected.

                          IF D-STAR moves to other bands, the US Trust Server, in my opinion, would be in danger of having to be rethought. We can’t, and shouldn’t create a letter for each band. The real intent, as John mentioned is ABCD, for module 1-4.

                          And in an attempt to simplify D-STAR for the new user, we all need to start referring to the callsigns and letters similarly to the way we specify tones for FM repeaters.

                          For a FM repeater, WB4QDX 444.000 +5.0 88Hz

                          For a DSTAR repeater WD4STR 440.550 +5.0 Mod B

                          And to program your D-STAR radio, set the frequency, set RPT1 to WD4STR B RPT2 to WD4STR G. RPT1 8th character is always the module. RPT2 8th character is always G. (Yes there are a few exceptions, just like there are exceptions to setting the tone, but you don’t teach that to beginners) UR is always CQCQCQ.

                          What’s so tough about that? Do you teach new FM users how to link repeaters to begin with? D-STAR is much easier than most people make it.

                          Ed WA4YIH

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8 7:43 AM
                            A Rose by any other name.......

                            For a new user the difference between a Standard and a Convention has no meaning.  If DStar wishes to grow and see increased acceptance in the Ham Radio community then we will be better off answering the question asked by newcomers.  "How do I get my radio to work on the DStar repeater" is the most common first timer question.  Those of us on DStar now had better be ready with a non-computer geek speak answer.  For the kind of prices that Icom is asking for end user radios that are DStar capable we had better make it easy for the new purchaser to get going or that same user will simply get angry.
                            Ed's posting on this topic should be copied to every piece of DStar Documentation in the world that a new user might ever find.  To date Ed's answer to the above question is the best I have found.

                            73 de W5EN Steve

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 8 12:51 PM
                              This posting subject was hijacked!
                              The latest responses have NO bearing on the subject!
                              But a few must state, restate,and nit-pick the hijacking!

                              And we wonder why DVDongle is loosing interest?!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*(